Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Developers/Designers - About BODs

- - - - - bods developers or designers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Ship

Ship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The system sucks. I mean really SUCKS. It is ponderous and boring making hundreds and hundreds of this crap for useless BODs with no reward.

I've been playing a smith and doing BODS pretty solidly for almost a year now and have NEVER gotten better than a shadow hammer. I can literally spend an entire day doing bods and not see even ONE BOD that goes toward a decent Large BOD.

So what do I do? I spend a beetle load of gold on a decent hammer some other looser has wasted their life doing, and promptly create 40 pieces of !!!! TO SMELT. Actually I think there was one decent fork which I sold for half the cost of the stupid runic.

EVERYONE I've heard comment on this system agrees, "The BOD System SUCKS".

I thought the point of making money at a game was that you made it enjoyable to play, causing customers to pay money in exchange for that enjoyment.

I'm not feeling the joy here folks. I'm starting feel pretty stupid paying to do it.

Looking for changes in this Hail Mary release of SA or it will be the last $50 you see from me.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Then do something else. You've just voiced an issue about one feature of one skill out of 50 (not including the 5 useless ones). If the blacksmith population declines, EA will do something to make it worthwhile.

By the way, if you get 40 uses out of a runic hammer before it breaks then yea, you're going to get items largely seen as crap out of it. *Maybe* some decent stuff for a new player, but mostly crap.

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
I can't get into the whole BOD thing. After tons of neon cloth, a bunch of useless mining junk, and many many hours, I simply quit doing them. There is a whole other world out there besides crafting.

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Personally I enjoy the crafting/BOD system. For a while, then I get bored with it and do something else for a while. I have actually made a pact with myself not to make loads and loads of items just to raise my skills. There are guides that tell what items you should craft until you get your skill up to __ level and then make __ item until your skill reaches __ level. I only make items to fill BODs, or the occasional attempt to make a cool weapon to use or sell. It is a slow, but rewarding process.

I do get a lot of crap for rewards, that I either sell back to the BOD giver for pennies or just drop on the ground. However I have gotten quite a few runic hammers and have never bought any from vendors.
And yes, I do make a lot of stuff with runics that has very low mods, even compaired to the loot you can find. A lot of it is luck (bad) and some of it is skill. You don't mention what your skill levels are, you may be crafting better items with your runics when your skills get higher.

While making and selling things, and vendors can be a fun part of UO, remember that the money you do make, or don't make enough of, is only pretend gold and not worth worrying about. Yeah, I am not making the millions of GP that some players are, but it won't pay my rent anyway.

It's a game, not your job. If you are not having fun with an aspect of it, find another part of the game you do enjoy. That's the beauty of UO, there are so many different parts to enjoy.

Riboflavin

Riboflavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
One thing about making bods and getting low rewards (e.g. wasting time).. why don't you check what you get, first? You could use a site as www.towerofroses.de to see what the bod will give you.
I do also bods. And for me it is still fun. Even after years. Just keep the "worthwhile" bods sorted. And sell the low bods for a few coins (e.g. 100). Or find a mass bod seller on your shard, how will pay a bit more.
Don't expect too much of a shadow runic hammer (? 40 uses should be one). I keep anything up from bronze. But there is no guarantee that you get one "good" item from it. Personally, I would refrain from buying runic hammers from others. Way too expensive ;).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ship

Ship

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
my smith is at 120 and I live by tower of roses.. great site. I've been tossing any new bods that are not toward a bronze or better, or a +60 ASH, or a 15 or lower crap bod. Everytime I go to the smith, I fill the floor with BODS and my pack gets about 10 new small weps.

My apologies for the rant, it was after almost a full day of doing BODs in hopes of getting at least something toward a higher runic or a +60 ASH, and nothing.. just more crap bods.

It is frustrating because it could be made much more fun without damaging the game. The absurdly low chance of producing good weapons just does not seem worth the work. I'm on siege so the vendors do not buy anything back.

I just think this kind of investment of time should have some kind of reward, or at least be much more fun in the doing.

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Hey we all need to rant at times, nothing wrong with that. You have higher skills than me, so I can understand expecting to get some good mods occasionally.

Personally I don't throw out any BODs. I make them all and turn them in so I can immediately get more BODs in the hopes of getting something good. That's just my way of doing it though. It may tick you off more to do so and waste all that material (and time) for crap rewards.

It's been rare lately that I get any large BODs too.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Everytime I go to the smith, I fill the floor with BODS and my pack gets about 10 new small weps.

This is the problem. You are dramatically slowing down the rate at which you can gain decent BoDs by throwing so many out.

Further, don't smelt anything, either. If you use a runic and the items turn out crap, save them and use them for BoD fodder to get better stuff.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts

Further, don't smelt anything, either. If you use a runic and the items turn out crap, save them and use them for BoD fodder to get better stuff.

Well, there is no bod to fill with runic crafted ornate axes or most of the other weapons people craft with runics.

Most people I know never craft armour with runic hammers, as runic crafted leather armour is much mor versatile with not needing the mage armour prop.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bods, developers or designers