Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

ABC- Archery, Bushido, Chivalry.

abc archery bushido chivalry

32 replies to this topic

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I love my composite bows more than anything else in the game, but...

For pure damage output against the monsters, nothing beats the crossbow. Against monsters with a slayer vulnerability (i.e. Navery Nighteyes), a spider slayer crossbow is even better than a composite bow whose owner can use armor ignore every time.

Then the heavy crossbow is nice, but slow.

After that, the bow, composite and elven long bow are pretty much interchangeable. I like the composite for armor ignores and moving shots. They're great for that burst damage or chasing down a player-opponent.

The yumi is a special circumstance. I like a yumi for doing the Oaks spawn, since the process of honor-double shot-kill-next makes the spawn fairly simple all the way up to the end. This is also a good one for mini-champ spawns. But for extended PvM battles, the yumi is one of the worst bows out there since it's so darn slow.
  • Tancred RedStar and mindkrall like this
Posted Image

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
I'm going to agree with farsight on pretty much everything. But remember, if you are human you get 20 SS and necro so you can go into wraith form. If fighting a monster with high resist across the board, going into wraith form and spamming armor ignore with a comp bow will put out way more resist than lighting striking with a crossbow. Before I made my thrower, I ran this setup and just swapped out a comp for ai and a xbow with lightingstrike. Yumi is very circumstantal like he said for things like oaks. Double shot with 50 poison area puts out alot of damage.

mindkrall

mindkrall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok.. got my drag slayer bow sorted :) its awesome...

2 questions:

I have an ornament of the magi - is it worth using this on my Archer? (-22% DMG -13 HCI)

How do you honor targets fast enough? Is there a special macro to make rather than invokevirtue and manually targetting?

Many thanks in advance :)

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I still manually target for honor.

But there are faster ways if you have UOAssist or the EC (EC is great for the targetting system alone.

I just plan ahead. By the time my last enemy is dead, I've already used my honor macro and have the life bar of my next target up.

Also attacking something while you're fighting it prevents you from accidently attacking the next target, thus doing damage and losing the chance for honor.
Posted Image

Theo Westaman

Theo Westaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

One Shot, One Kill.

Thanks To: Farsight, XCodes.

An 'ABC' is an archery template specialized for dealing PvM damage. They are known to dominate at champion spawns, dealing massive amounts of damage to a single target.

Skills - 720 Cap
100 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Bushido
80 Chivalry
120 Anatomy
80 Healing
100 Meditation / Focus

This is your basic ABC skill set. Meditiation is technically optional - you can replace with the skill of your choice, if you carry gear with enough MR to keep you in mana. But I prefer meditation, as more specials = more damage = more kills.\

Meditation can be switched for Resisting Spells easily if you have two full Soulstones, as well. Resisting Spells is very good in some situations - specifically the Doom Gauntlet, as there are a crazy amount of curses flying around down there. If you have a specific day in which doom is run, you can easily switch out the skill, and switch them back the following day. (Soul Fragments work, but could get expensive, as theyll last you only 5 switches.)

You will need to get a hunter's headdress and an archery powerscroll to hit 120 using the +20 from the item. I find that I prefer to get 120 real Archery, because i'm not married to an item, but it means possibly dropping another skill and using a +skill ring/brace. It really depends on what armor you've got to build a suit from.

Stats
125 DEX
40 INT
90 STR

The important part here is the DEX. You want as much as you can get. INT and STR, you merely find the minimum amount of int you can without being out of mana all the time. Optimally, you want as much MR as you can find.

There are a few pieces you cant equip with 90 STR, but you want meddable armor anyway, so its likely going to be leather. You do, however. want to maximize STR, or at least hit 100 after your gear is equipped, for the purposes of damage increases, as you get an additional 5% damage increase simply for having 100 STR, on top of what you gain from the 100 STR itself.

Playing your ABC

Combat with an ABC is actually rather easy, and repetitive.

- Honor Everything. Set up an Honor Virtue macro, this is the cornerstone of the ABC's power. You want to honor everything you fight.

- Chiv Spells: Consecrate, Divine Fury, Enemy of One. These are all damage buffs, though be aware of your enemy's resists. If they are all close or equal, consecrate isnt worth its mana cost. Keep these three spells up as much as you can.

- Bushido: Bushido is the way of the Samurai, and yes, half of the abilities are dependent on the parry mechanic. But it is surprisingly useful for an archer. Confidence will still heal, though not as much as it does for parry/swords samurais. The real reason for Bushido is Perfection.

- Perfection: When a samurai uses the honor virtue, they gain bonus damage and luck based on how many hits they gotten in a row. The bushido skill Lightning strike stacks with your hit chance increase, to basically guarantee hits - causing perfection to go even higher. You can get over 1000 'free' luck, above and beyond your luck suit this way.

Momentum Strike is a red herring - everyone starting a new ABC thinks its the reason bushido is here - multiple shots for less mana - but it isn't. Its a pile of suck for an ABC because it only counts targets in melee range. If you must area damage in melee, carry a UBWS with whirlwind. But honestly, if you're an archer in melee range, quite honestly, you're doing it wrong. If you like this play style, consider a melee samurai or a necromancer.

- Anatomy/Healing: Same as any archer or warrior, its for healing and curing. You have chiv abilities as well. Two ABC's can just sit at range and crossheal any damage they take, or act as a healer for warriors running out of health. Healing is only 80, so you wont heal as well as a typical warrior, but you still have full anatomy and you can rez with your bandages.

Like any template, there are ways to customize it to your specific style of play, and even the people you typically party with.

(Farsight, I know you're going to post about everything I missed. You rock, and I'm just waiting for you to tell me what to edit :) )

#drop the anat to 110 and increase the healing to 90 that way when you use enchanted bandies it will give you 110 healing
Theoden Westaman

Theo Westaman

Theo Westaman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

One Shot, One Kill.

Thanks To: Farsight, XCodes.

An 'ABC' is an archery template specialized for dealing PvM damage. They are known to dominate at champion spawns, dealing massive amounts of damage to a single target.

Skills - 720 Cap
100 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Bushido
80 Chivalry
120 Anatomy
80 Healing
100 Meditation / Focus

This is your basic ABC skill set. Meditiation is technically optional - you can replace with the skill of your choice, if you carry gear with enough MR to keep you in mana. But I prefer meditation, as more specials = more damage = more kills.\

Meditation can be switched for Resisting Spells easily if you have two full Soulstones, as well. Resisting Spells is very good in some situations - specifically the Doom Gauntlet, as there are a crazy amount of curses flying around down there. If you have a specific day in which doom is run, you can easily switch out the skill, and switch them back the following day. (Soul Fragments work, but could get expensive, as theyll last you only 5 switches.)

You will need to get a hunter's headdress and an archery powerscroll to hit 120 using the +20 from the item. I find that I prefer to get 120 real Archery, because i'm not married to an item, but it means possibly dropping another skill and using a +skill ring/brace. It really depends on what armor you've got to build a suit from.

Stats
125 DEX
40 INT
90 STR

The important part here is the DEX. You want as much as you can get. INT and STR, you merely find the minimum amount of int you can without being out of mana all the time. Optimally, you want as much MR as you can find.

There are a few pieces you cant equip with 90 STR, but you want meddable armor anyway, so its likely going to be leather. You do, however. want to maximize STR, or at least hit 100 after your gear is equipped, for the purposes of damage increases, as you get an additional 5% damage increase simply for having 100 STR, on top of what you gain from the 100 STR itself.

Playing your ABC

Combat with an ABC is actually rather easy, and repetitive.

- Honor Everything. Set up an Honor Virtue macro, this is the cornerstone of the ABC's power. You want to honor everything you fight.

- Chiv Spells: Consecrate, Divine Fury, Enemy of One. These are all damage buffs, though be aware of your enemy's resists. If they are all close or equal, consecrate isnt worth its mana cost. Keep these three spells up as much as you can.

- Bushido: Bushido is the way of the Samurai, and yes, half of the abilities are dependent on the parry mechanic. But it is surprisingly useful for an archer. Confidence will still heal, though not as much as it does for parry/swords samurais. The real reason for Bushido is Perfection.

- Perfection: When a samurai uses the honor virtue, they gain bonus damage and luck based on how many hits they gotten in a row. The bushido skill Lightning strike stacks with your hit chance increase, to basically guarantee hits - causing perfection to go even higher. You can get over 1000 'free' luck, above and beyond your luck suit this way.

Momentum Strike is a red herring - everyone starting a new ABC thinks its the reason bushido is here - multiple shots for less mana - but it isn't. Its a pile of suck for an ABC because it only counts targets in melee range. If you must area damage in melee, carry a UBWS with whirlwind. But honestly, if you're an archer in melee range, quite honestly, you're doing it wrong. If you like this play style, consider a melee samurai or a necromancer.

- Anatomy/Healing: Same as any archer or warrior, its for healing and curing. You have chiv abilities as well. Two ABC's can just sit at range and crossheal any damage they take, or act as a healer for warriors running out of health. Healing is only 80, so you wont heal as well as a typical warrior, but you still have full anatomy and you can rez with your bandages.

Like any template, there are ways to customize it to your specific style of play, and even the people you typically party with.

(Farsight, I know you're going to post about everything I missed. You rock, and I'm just waiting for you to tell me what to edit :) )

#drop the anat to 110 and increase the healing to 90 that way when you use enchanted bandies it will give you 110 healing
Theoden Westaman

mindkrall

mindkrall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Still wondering if using an ornament of the magi is a silly idea?(I have ring of the vile so no fastcast there) It seems to be really good when fighting greater drags because i can churn through the chiv spells without interruption - and for this reason it may be better for defending myself at champ spawns.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
If you use the orny, you should also use a ring with at least fast cast 1.

And adding FC1 to your bows would be a good idea as well.

But in my opinion, you either have FC3-4 with Chivalry, or no faster casting at all.

I tried it for a while, and it didn't work well for my style of play, since I didn't take advantage of it enough, but having faster casting works very well indeed for other people.
Posted Image

mindkrall

mindkrall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks again Farsight :) I am really enjoying the archer and your help has been invaluable:cool
  • Farsight likes this

zerathul

zerathul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
archery 120
anatomy 120
tactics 120
resisting spells 120
bushido 120
healing 120

my hitpoint regeneration is 20
my stamina regeneration is 11

i got my resists set at 70 except fire resist. it's 58.

I wonder something that i see some warriors stand still and don't die before some monsters like lurg in the painted caves. I try the same thing but can stand before him just 10 seconds max. What would be the reason?

P.S: my defence chance increase is just 5. is this the problem?

Jimmy Pop

Jimmy Pop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
They are probably running in Vampirec Embrace and leeching back hit points every shot.

cameron26

cameron26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
archery114
tact 120
anat 102
heal 100
magic reist 90
bush 87
chiv 68

how can i make tmy archer in to the ultimate dmg abc. I think for honor i have 3 bubb left till its full. Dunno what that means.

Need to know
- what armor i need
-what wep bow i need
- what attrib on bow and armnor i need
- what jewl to wear
any help would be great ty

McNuge

McNuge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts

740 skills. Just throwing that out there...

Also, I personally recommend having at least 100 Strength after your suit's bonuses. This is for the sake of pushing DI up to the 300% cap, for which you currently have...

100% from items (Superior Bow = 40, Stormgrip = 25, Arms Tally = 20, Ring/Bracelet = 15)
81% from Tactics
65% from Anatomy
27% from Strength
10% from Divine Fury
------------------------
283% out of possible 300%

10 more points of Strength will give you 100 Strength, which is another 3% DI normally and 5% DI since a bonus is added for having 100 Strength. After that, you can use either a combination of effects to reach 130 Strength (Greater Strength Potion and either Bless Spell or Balm of Strength) or carry some Grapes of Wrath with you for another 10% DI buff. The former gives you some extra HP while the latter most likely weighs less in the pack.

I know this thread is a little old but I was looking around for some thrower temp advice. I just wanted to point out that damage increase from tactics, anatomy and strength does not count toward your 300% cap. This formula outlined here only depicts 110% out of a possible 300%. Perfection, slayers, items and EoO must be used in some combination to reach the full effect of the 300%.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: abc, archery, bushido, chivalry