Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

ABC- Archery, Bushido, Chivalry.

abc archery bushido chivalry

32 replies to this topic

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
One Shot, One Kill.

Thanks To: Farsight, XCodes.

An 'ABC' is an archery template specialized for dealing PvM damage. They are known to dominate at champion spawns, dealing massive amounts of damage to a single target.

Skills - 720 Cap
100 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Bushido
80 Chivalry
120 Anatomy
80 Healing
100 Meditation / Focus

This is your basic ABC skill set. Meditiation is technically optional - you can replace with the skill of your choice, if you carry gear with enough MR to keep you in mana. But I prefer meditation, as more specials = more damage = more kills.\

Meditation can be switched for Resisting Spells easily if you have two full Soulstones, as well. Resisting Spells is very good in some situations - specifically the Doom Gauntlet, as there are a crazy amount of curses flying around down there. If you have a specific day in which doom is run, you can easily switch out the skill, and switch them back the following day. (Soul Fragments work, but could get expensive, as theyll last you only 5 switches.)

You will need to get a hunter's headdress and an archery powerscroll to hit 120 using the +20 from the item. I find that I prefer to get 120 real Archery, because i'm not married to an item, but it means possibly dropping another skill and using a +skill ring/brace. It really depends on what armor you've got to build a suit from.

Stats
125 DEX
40 INT
90 STR

The important part here is the DEX. You want as much as you can get. INT and STR, you merely find the minimum amount of int you can without being out of mana all the time. Optimally, you want as much MR as you can find.

There are a few pieces you cant equip with 90 STR, but you want meddable armor anyway, so its likely going to be leather. You do, however. want to maximize STR, or at least hit 100 after your gear is equipped, for the purposes of damage increases, as you get an additional 5% damage increase simply for having 100 STR, on top of what you gain from the 100 STR itself.

Playing your ABC

Combat with an ABC is actually rather easy, and repetitive.

- Honor Everything. Set up an Honor Virtue macro, this is the cornerstone of the ABC's power. You want to honor everything you fight.

- Chiv Spells: Consecrate, Divine Fury, Enemy of One. These are all damage buffs, though be aware of your enemy's resists. If they are all close or equal, consecrate isnt worth its mana cost. Keep these three spells up as much as you can.

- Bushido: Bushido is the way of the Samurai, and yes, half of the abilities are dependent on the parry mechanic. But it is surprisingly useful for an archer. Confidence will still heal, though not as much as it does for parry/swords samurais. The real reason for Bushido is Perfection.

- Perfection: When a samurai uses the honor virtue, they gain bonus damage and luck based on how many hits they gotten in a row. The bushido skill Lightning strike stacks with your hit chance increase, to basically guarantee hits - causing perfection to go even higher. You can get over 1000 'free' luck, above and beyond your luck suit this way.

Momentum Strike is a red herring - everyone starting a new ABC thinks its the reason bushido is here - multiple shots for less mana - but it isn't. Its a pile of suck for an ABC because it only counts targets in melee range. If you must area damage in melee, carry a UBWS with whirlwind. But honestly, if you're an archer in melee range, quite honestly, you're doing it wrong. If you like this play style, consider a melee samurai or a necromancer.

- Anatomy/Healing: Same as any archer or warrior, its for healing and curing. You have chiv abilities as well. Two ABC's can just sit at range and crossheal any damage they take, or act as a healer for warriors running out of health. Healing is only 80, so you wont heal as well as a typical warrior, but you still have full anatomy and you can rez with your bandages.

Like any template, there are ways to customize it to your specific style of play, and even the people you typically party with.

(Farsight, I know you're going to post about everything I missed. You rock, and I'm just waiting for you to tell me what to edit :) )

Zal

Zal

Grandmaster Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Similar to my build except I have 100 resist instead of MED. My archer is pretty dang good.. nice post

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
For resist, you can replace a lot of the skill with items - a trapped crate in your pack to break paralyze, and chivalry can dispel the stat debuffs.

Resist is better if you want to PvP, but I wouldnt suggest ABC for pvp, simply because there are superior archery templates for that. I don't do PvP typically, so I don't know enough to write guides about it.

Zal

Zal

Grandmaster Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
I find the 100 resist helps me a lot against monsters, i resist alot of their magic and i never get paralyzed, saves my life a lot.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I could discuss the template all day long, but you have the basics down pretty well.

Most people do prefer the resist to meditation, especially if they're a Doom-rat. Curses really stink and we aren't always quick enough to eat a magical apple. Myself, I love meditation. Even without a mana leech bow, I can cast an insane amount of special moves.

I like the ABC because it's one of a very few templates that is equally good with PvP and PvM.

Anyhow, like they told me in the Navy:
"If it moves, honor it! If it doesn't, paint it."

In other words, that can not be emphasized enough. Without honor, the ABC is just another archer. So honor EVERYTHING YOU FIGHT.

Then cast lightning strike liberally.

In our next lesson, we'll discuss ABC bows and what to look for.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
740 skills. Just throwing that out there...

Also, I personally recommend having at least 100 Strength after your suit's bonuses. This is for the sake of pushing DI up to the 300% cap, for which you currently have...

100% from items (Superior Bow = 40, Stormgrip = 25, Arms Tally = 20, Ring/Bracelet = 15)
81% from Tactics
65% from Anatomy
27% from Strength
10% from Divine Fury
------------------------
283% out of possible 300%

10 more points of Strength will give you 100 Strength, which is another 3% DI normally and 5% DI since a bonus is added for having 100 Strength. After that, you can use either a combination of effects to reach 130 Strength (Greater Strength Potion and either Bless Spell or Balm of Strength) or carry some Grapes of Wrath with you for another 10% DI buff. The former gives you some extra HP while the latter most likely weighs less in the pack.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
The damage increase from tactics, strength and anatomy don't count toward the 300%.

The 300% is from items, spells (like divine fury or enemy of one), slayer properties (talismans/weapons) and perfection.

Source: http://www.uoguide.com/Damage_increase

Still, the point is valid. You gain a lot from hitting that 100 str marker.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

The damage increase from tactics, strength and anatomy don't count toward the 300%.

The 300% is from items, spells (like divine fury or enemy of one), slayer properties (talismans/weapons) and perfection.

Source: http://www.uoguide.com/Damage_increase

Still, the point is valid. You gain a lot from hitting that 100 str marker.

I don't trust that since it references a 2-year old FoF that immediately makes the error of saying that a Slayer is effectively 200% DI (which, even if it was translated into % DI, would only be 100% DI if working as intended).

If that's really still the case, however, then 100 strength should still be used since those 10 strength points effectively give 8% DI that are unaffected by the overall cap.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Thanks guys - I don't usually min-max a template when writing a guide, as people interested in that are most likely over at uoguide doing it themselves. It's more for the people who ask "What's an ABC?".

I thought of writing it when I heard in alliance chat that people were complaining that momentum strike wasnt working with archery. Actually, I was noobing it up a lot and not honoring anything until Farsight told me the real reason ABCs have bushido.

Rashad_FwD

Rashad_FwD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
are there any direct references btwn bushido and perfection? for example the advantage of 120 over 100 over just enough to cast the necessary spells (~80.0)

if you can get by on 80 that leaves alittle flex room in the template, but if it were to drastically cut your dmg bonus in perfection you wouldnt want to sacrifice the extra dmg or the luck you gain by achieving perfection.

<edit>
after digging a little deeper into the formulas and game mechanics i find you need 37.5 pts above the difficulty of the skill to cast it 100% of the time, what that translates to is 90.0 bushido to cast lightening strike without fail.. info gathered over at http://www.uoguide.c..._Game_Mechanics..

however i was unable to find any direct correlation btwn bushido/perfection minimum skill for maximum gain in dmg & luck..
or perhaps its the rate at which you achieve perfection?.. it remains a mystery to me..

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
the idea is that failing your bushido skill will cause you to miss, killing the perfection bonus.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

however i was unable to find any direct correlation btwn bushido/perfection minimum skill for maximum gain in dmg & luck..
or perhaps its the rate at which you achieve perfection?.. it remains a mystery to me..

For a more complete look at bushido skill and all the subtleties, check out this guide:
Way of the Samurai: A Guide to Bushido in Ultima Online - Stratics Forums

For perfection, the level of perfection goes from 0 to 100%.

The luck bonus and extra damage deals corresponds directly to the percentage of perfection, so at 50% perfection, you get a damage bonus of 50% and a luck bonus of 500 points.

At 100% perfection, you get 100% damage bonus and 1000 points of luck. This is the maximum bonus that perfection gives you.

The current level of perfection is equivalent to (bushido skill/1000)* the number of consecutive hits up to 100% (or 1). When you miss, your level of perfection drops by 3 hits.

For example:
You have 100 points of bushido and you hit 5 times in a row. Your perfection now sits at 100/1000 * 5 or 50%. If the sixth shot is a miss, then your perfection drops to 100/1000 * (5-3) or 20%.

Note: There is no official source to these calculations. They are based on various FoF questions regarding perfection (it has been covered several times), the official playguide on uo.com and my own experimentation.

So, assuming that my formula is accurate, the ideal amount of bushido needed to achieve perfection (thus 100% extra damage) in the minimum time is 111.2, where you achieve perfection in 9 hits.

So the question remains, why would anyone go the extra 8.8 points to 120 bushido?
The answer to that is: lightning strike.
At 111.2 bushido, you get a critical hit from lightning strike 17% of the time.
At 120 bushido, you get a critical hit 20% of the time
At 80 bushido, you get a critical hit only 9% of the time.

The critical hits from lightning strike are a corner-stone of the ABC template, thus bushido should be pushed up as high as possible to maximize the critical hit chance. These hits not only do 50% extra damage, but act in the same way as armor ignore from your composite bows. With this extra damage, the archer becomes a DPS machine (That's damage per second for those of you who don't know) which is very difficult to match with any other template, not only reaching the 300% damage-from-items-and-abilities cap with absurd ease, but also hitting one shot in five for insane damage.

Rashad_FwD

Rashad_FwD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

So the question remains, why would anyone go the extra 8.8 points to 120 bushido?
The answer to that is: lightning strike.
At 111.2 bushido, you get a critical hit from lightning strike 17% of the time.
At 120 bushido, you get a critical hit 20% of the time
At 80 bushido, you get a critical hit only 9% of the time.

The critical hits from lightning strike are a corner-stone of the ABC template, thus bushido should be pushed up as high as possible to maximize the critical hit chance. These hits not only do 50% extra damage, but act in the same way as armor ignore from your composite bows. With this extra damage, the archer becomes a DPS machine (That's damage per second for those of you who don't know) which is very difficult to match with any other template, not only reaching the 300% damage-from-items-and-abilities cap with absurd ease, but also hitting one shot in five for insane damage.

The answer I was looking for.. I had completely forgotten about the criticals of lightening strike..

Cabe Bedlam

Cabe Bedlam

Master of Magic, no really I'm serious

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
How important is anatomy, my archers template is

120 archery 100
120 tactics 120
115 Animal Taming 95
115 Animal Lore 100
100 Vet 100
100 Hide 50
100 Stealth 50
70 Bushido 60
50 Chiv 50

Though I'm thinking about dropping Chiv and going pure Bushido, though I guess I really should drop hiding and stealth.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

How important is anatomy, my archers template is

120 archery 100
120 tactics 120
115 Animal Taming 95
115 Animal Lore 100
100 Vet 100
100 Hide 50
100 Stealth 50
70 Bushido 60
50 Chiv 50

Though I'm thinking about dropping Chiv and going pure Bushido, though I guess I really should drop hiding and stealth.

Yes, you're trying to do way too much with that template.

Drop Hiding and Stealth and maybe Chiv, too. Chiv is useful for a lot of things, but not at a mere 50 skill.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
tamer archer:

120 archery
120 tactics
120 bushido

120 animal taming
120 animal lore
120 veterinary

The reason tamer mage is considered superior, is that magery has more utility than a combat skill - you can heal your pet from range, recall, mark, where archery is just ranged damage.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
ABC non meditation template:
120 Archery
120 Bushido
115 Tactics
100 Healing
100 Anatomy
90 Resist
75 Chiv

Adjust healing/resist/tactics/chivalry to taste.

And I promised back in July to examine the ABC bow. Now I finally pull through.

The bow you are looking for has two conditions:
1. The bow has to be fast. This means that for any bow you get, swing speed increase is THE most important factor.

2. The bow has to have the ability to replenish your mana. In other words, an ABC archer must carry a mana leeching bow. The reason for this is that during the long battles, your mana will drop fast by lightning striking every time. With mana leech (and no, high meditation and MR isn't enough to counter this the mana drain from LS), you can lightning strike all day and still have enough mana for special moves or divine fury or enemy of one.

After you find a bow which has both high swing speed increase and mana leech, any other modification on the bow is just icing for your ABC cake.

That being said, if you have a lot of time and resources, trying to collect slayer bows which cover both of the above conditions wouldn't be a waste of your time.

There are two artifact bows (both craftable) which bear mentioning, even though they don't have mana leech:
Mischief maker: Between an undead slaying mischief maker and an undead slaying conjurer's trinket, you can cruise through any Niera the Necromancer spawn without the benifit of enemy of one or mana leech, just by honoring everything you kill (you have to be very fast on the honor button).
Night reaper: Like the Mischief Maker, it is very fast, but this one is a demon slayer. When farming Demons or Succubi for fame or honor, this would defnitely be your best bet unless you are lucky enough to have a mana leeching fast slayer bow. Honor will keep you high enough in mana to kill the next enemy.
Posted Image

mindkrall

mindkrall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Question - Quivers? Whats the deal, which one/ones are the best to have?

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Quivers are nice to have. Very nice.

Which one you use depends on what you're doing.
i.e. If you're fighting undead, who are mostly vulnerable to fire damage, a quiver of fire is the best quiver you can get. This is because a portion of the damage (just how much, I'm not sure) of your attack gets converted to fire damage, so even with a mischief maker (100% cold undead slayer), you can do serious damage to liches and lich lords, who are very resistant to cold damage.

Quivers in general are nice to have for a few reasons.
1. Weight reduction. All of your arrows should be in quivers in order to reduce their weight.
2. Insurable/blessed. If you die, you keep your arrows which are stored in a quiver.
3. Damage Modifier. After all damage calculations are calculated, the damage is then increased by the amount of damage indicated (typically 10%). According to official sources, only the extra damage is of the type indicated. My experience is different, but exactly how it differs, I've never tested.

In PvP, the modified damage comes out to only a point or three, so it's often better just to use a ranger's cloak for the extra swing speed. This is especially useful for slower bows like a yumi or heavy crossbow.
  • mindkrall likes this
Posted Image

mindkrall

mindkrall

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Insurable/blessed. If you die, you keep your arrows which are stored in a quiver.

Nice.. I missed that obvious point out!

Trained my Bushido to 120 now.. Archery is all that is left at 80.1 without my hunters headdress on.

I have my gear... 70 resist all, 45 HCI, 60% DI before weapon, 34 LMC 5mana regen and some extra +DEX +STAM +MANA :)

Next question... Bows! I have heard Heavy X-Bow and X-Bow are the best?

I have a 100% cold composite bow with 22DI that I could imbue as drag slayer... composite bows are nice right? AI and moving shot...

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: abc, archery, bushido, chivalry