Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Mondain's Legacy

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Take a look to your right and see any new. Ok waits for a second. If you didn’t catch it we have made Mondain’s Legacy free, including the seven expansions prior to it. Yes we said FREE! I’m sure you are asking yourself “so how do I get access to all of the expansions?” This is the easy part, all you have to do is log in and play. That’s it it’s that simple.

All players will now have access to:

• Elves
  • Increased storage capacity
  • Spellweaving
  • All the current Dungeons
  • Much Much More

You can see all of the features available in Mondain’s Legacy here: http://www.uoherald.com/uoml.

Mythic Entertainment Announces Ultima Online: Mondain’s Legacy Expansion Pack IS AVAILABLE Now FOR Free

New 14-Day Free Trial Entices New & Returning Players with Vast RPG World and All Seven Ultima Online Expansion Packs

FAIRFAX, Va. – July 30, 2009 – Mythic Entertainment™, an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) studio, today announced that Ultima Online™: Mondain’s Legacy™, is now available at no charge to subscribers of Ultima Online. Launched in the summer of 2005,the 7th expansion to the legendary MMORPG Ultima Online (UO)introduces the Elven race and several sprawling dungeons to the vast game world. For current Ultima Online subscribers that do not have Mondain’s Legacy, the game client will be automatically updated with the expansion content.

For players that are new to Ultima Online or for those interested in returning to the world, they can download the 14-day free trial which now features all seven expansions, including Mondain’s Legacy. Now all players can experience the Elves, new human racial abilities and new dungeons with dozens of new monsters to battle and weapons to wield.

“Mythic is extremely excited about offering Mondain’s Legacy as a freeupgradeto all Ultima Online subscribers, as well as new players who sign up for the 14-day free trial,” said Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer for Mythic Entertainment. “Our goal is to continually provide fresh and rewarding experiences for our thriving UO community. By opening up our 7th expansion to all players, we hope to get everyone excited for the upcoming summer release of our 8th addition, Stygian Abyss.”

Coming this summer, Ultima Online™: Stygian Abyss™, the game’s 8th expansion, revolves around the introduction of the playable Gargoyle race. Players will find expansive new areas to explore, including Ter Mur, the Gargoyle homeland, and theStygian Abyss– the largest dungeon area ever introduced toUltima Online. This sprawling dungeon will contain new boss monsters of unparalleled difficulty, including the Medusa, Primeval Lich and the Stygian Dragon, as well as Player vs. Player zones where adventurers will be turned against one another.

Ultima Online: Stygian Abyssexpansion requires the originalUltima Onlinegame to play and will be available in the summer of 2009 via digital distribution only. To download Ultima Online at no charge or to find out more information about Ultima Online and the additions from Mondain’s Legacy and Stygian Abyss, please visit: http://www.uo.com.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Muahahaha, I knew if I waited long enough I wouldn't have to upgrade my account with my cook on it!

On a more serious note, this hopefully means SA is just around the corner.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Might be worth removing the upgrade code from the UO store.
I notice it's still for sale, along with the 30 day new player code (the bundle)

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
end of july is good for mmos...

- DDO going free to play/microtransactions.
- ML becomes free... :)

Surprised UO never went to a microtransaction system myself actually.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
DDO is going free/micro? OUCH.

Ok, not really a surprise actually. I trialed it when it came out, had a feel that it was more for old schoolers with pencil/dice and puzzles than target/shoot/ding-types. It almost might be a lot more fun if played casually and pay as you go rather than "I'm paying $15/month on this thing and only log in a few hours".

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

DDO going free to play/microtransactions.

Explain please.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Usually this means you can download the game and setup an account for free, many games do this rather than charge people upfront for the software or even a monthly subscription. On the other hand, these games usually "encourage" players to buy in-game currency or items to either progress faster or gain a distinct advantage over other players. This payment model is especially popular for web browser-based games moreso than PC games. Anarchy Online was one of the first MMO's to go free/micro several years ago and it's still alive but probably would not be if it had stayed on the regular subscription model.

Lots of people farm these games by setting up dummy accounts to "recruit new players" to rack up credits/rewards rather than buy the in-game currency. Another strategy is to join a guild of people who engage in such behavior so theyre racking it up off each other en masse and usually end up pwning the honest, more-casual players. I totally got schooled on this crap when I tried my hand at Travian.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Its a new business model that has proven to be quite successful in the mmo industry.

As of August 6th. Dungeons and Dragons Online will allow you to log in for free. Free players will have access to a lot of game content, and an in-game store has been implemented, where you can buy in-game items and unlock game elements using points you buy via credit card, or earn in-game (not sure how yet, its still beta). Most of it is dungeon areas, several races and classes, items, and hirelings atm. I haven't played enough to know if theyre good deals or not :)

You can still subscribe to the game, where much of the purchaseable content in the store becomes unlocked as long as your subscription lasts. (all locations and all classes) Subscribers will also be given 500 points a month to use in the store, and have access to their own set of forums. An unpaid subscription account becomes a free account, and any content you havent bought in the store becomes inaccessible.

Right now, you can get 1000 (2000 for fileplanet subscribers) free points, or get a beta account at www.fileplanet.com. The beta account will convert into a free player account when the system launches in August, but the beta server will wipe (you keep your points, however).

TheGrimReefer

TheGrimReefer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
What A Bunch Of Crooks EA Is. When ML First Came Out They Made So Much Money Off Of People Upgrading And Buying The Extra Storage Packages. Now There Giving Them Away. Thats BS. Do They Plan To Refund Everyone Money Who Bought These Type Of Things I Think Not. Just Goes To Show You Its All About The Money For EA.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
When you see a movie on tv, do you go back to the theater you saw it at two years ago and ask for a ticket refund?

What A Bunch Of Crooks EA Is. When ML First Came Out They Made So Much Money Off Of People Upgrading And Buying The Extra Storage Packages. Now There Giving Them Away. Thats BS. Do They Plan To Refund Everyone Money Who Bought These Type Of Things I Think Not. Just Goes To Show You Its All About The Money For EA.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
if it was really all about the money, would they make the previous expansion free leading up to the next release? :)

Chrissay_Mythic

Chrissay_Mythic

UO Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

If you have purchased this recently (within the last week) please contact customer support at http://support.ea.com.

Chrissay "Adida" Zeeman

TheGrimReefer

TheGrimReefer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Thats Not The Point The Point Is That The Only Way You Could Get These Upgrades Was To Buy. Now That The Number Of Players Has Decreased They Are Giving Everything Away For Free. This Is Another Way For Them To Get People Back To This Game After Charging Everyone Else. They Have Made There Money Lost Lots Of Players Now Trying To Bring The Life Of UO Back By Giving It Away.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
All prior expansions were always included in the expansions that followed them. This time around theyre just "giving it away" pre-emptively. I'm still not understanding why youre upset about this.

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
Hey, I bought the Mondains Legacy expansion and I am not upset that it is now being offered for free. I got the years of use out of what I paid for that I would not want to wait for if I knew that eventually it would be offered for free. Besides the movie example that was given, many tech items go down in price severely over time. Do you complain that you paid *+ amount for the iphone or a wii when they first came out and now they are only charging *- for them?

Yes EA is about money. It is a business! Do you do your job for free?? Or are you just as greedy as you say EA is and you're only about the money.

You got months or years of entertainment for the service you paid for.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Tancred is right every previous expansion allowed total access to all expansions before. Good move by EA, which is all I'll say.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Most MMOs work that way. They all learned from Sony and Everquest that players aren't going to tolerate that kind of gouging anymore.

WoW doesnt include previous expansions in their new expansions, but they typically release a bundle pack that costs the same as the initial game did at launch that has all of them in it.

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA
UO has done this in the past. Other games do this too. This is common.

But if you want it to be another "EA conspiracy"... more power to you and good luck.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I agree with the others, it's common and I have no problem with it
It's kinda like seeing a movie when it first comes out, which you pay a premium for, then seeing it for free on TV X years later when it starts being shown on the movie channels.

Lamtheb

Lamtheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
here goes my customer contact attempt to get my 30 bucks back. I wish those of us that just bought ML with in the last few weeks/month, would just get a free SA upgrade. Oh well.