Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

It's already been said, but...Mempo drop rate is ridiculously low

- - - - - butmempo drop low rate ridiculously ridiculously low

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Hello All -

I don't often get to post here anymore. I try to maintain a positive attitude, but I'm incredibly frustrated with this version of ToT.

UO has a bad habit of encouraging scripters. This iteration of ToT, unfortunately, created a new chase rare with a discouragingly low drop rate. Granted, I didn't start actively participating in the event until last week (silly beta test)...but I've now gotten almost 100 ToTs without a mempo.

The casual player needs to rely on an admittedly flawed RNG, while scripters take the safest spots in Tokuno and farm 24/7. There doesn't seem to be any incentive to hunt 'normally.'

In the interest of saying something positive: I do like the new dye colors, although the decision to limit them to a single charge was perhaps short sighted.

Thoughts?

~M

chargar42

chargar42

&a mp; a mp; a mp; q uot ; Can Set Custo

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
The shadowlords appear to be dropping a mempo each run. Just from what people are saying. I myself got 2 back to back in the begining of the slords, and none since.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect love sometimes does not come until the first grandchild.

abracadabra

abracadabra

Mindless Muse

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Took 250 drops for me to get one mempo. Wish they would give us the means to turn in 100 tokuno marties for one mempo (only one per account).
Posted Image

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
I think the drop rate should be low on the mempo. It should be much rarer than the other tot arties. That's also why I like that it was not made a major artie that can be gotten by turning in 10 minors. However I do like the idea of being able to get it by turning in a LOT more minors. Perhaps next time they could have another tier of rewards, by turning in a large amount of minor arties. Add the mempo, the old full set of dyes with more than one use, and maybe some new ideas.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

I think the drop rate should be low on the mempo. It should be much rarer than the other tot arties. That's also why I like that it was not made a major artie that can be gotten by turning in 10 minors. However I do like the idea of being able to get it by turning in a LOT more minors. Perhaps next time they could have another tier of rewards, by turning in a large amount of minor arties. Add the mempo, the old full set of dyes with more than one use, and maybe some new ideas.

Why? The Mempo is not that fantastic of an item. The only thing special about it is that it has tons of luck. If you go with a runic item instead (made of either gold or spined leather), you can get comparable total resists, up to 140 luck, and two more properties (ignoring the MR1 since you'll almost always get mr 2 with a high-end runic tool if you get mr at all). Is the extra 160 luck worth those two properties? On the vast majority of builds it's really not. Some ABC suits, some Bards, and most Tamers are about the only characters I'd ever consider putting a Mempo on, and even then I'd give a lot of consideration to a good runic.

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Why? The Mempo is not that fantastic of an item.

Yet everyone is trying to get one, and are complaining that they are too hard to get. If they weren't that great people would not be complaining that the drop rate is too low. They wouldn't care. People have even complained that the actual existence of the mempo makes the luck necklaces obsolete since the mempo is better. So, people were obviously still putting a lot of value in the luck necklaces even though they are not as good as the mempo which is "not that fantastic of an item". I haven't gotten a single Tome of Enlightenment, Peasants bokuto, or many of the shades of dyes. I have also gotten the same number of the honorable swords, and pieces of blackrock as I have of the mempo, exactly one. I have not seen a single post complaining about the drop rates of any of those. I would surmise that the mempo is more fantastic than any of those items, more fantastic than any of the other minors in my opinion looking at their stats, and so should be rarer.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
The Leurocian's Mempo of fortune IS that good of an item.

*math omitted, with talks of intensity, material types, total resists based on materials, etc*

To craft an item with similar intensities to the Mempo of Fortune, you need a verite or valorite hammer. You can get similar intensities with a gold or agapite hammer, but only if you get all 4 extra properties at max.

And the bonus of the Leurocian mempo is that the people who are looking for their max-luck suit HAVE to use it, since no other piece which fits in the neck slot begins to compare.

And the extra bonus that it has luck AND 60 resist points, which means it's now possible to have your max luck suit and have good resists as well, unlike the old lucky suits which used the lucky necklace and had no extra resists or MR.

So yes, the mempo should be exceedingly rare, as it is a powerful item for PvM and is in very high demand by the people who could afford their lucky suits.

Yes, it means that I don't get one, as much as I would like it for my tamer. I'm not too hurt by the lack of a mempo in my inventory.

Mempos are ugly ugly things.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Idea: A new set of tokuno arties, above greaters.

10 minors = 1 greater.
10 greaters = 1 'uber' (placeholder name).

Based on pure stats, I would classify the mempo as simply a greater, but if they want it uber rare, they can make it uber rare.

Right now, the mempo is based on time spent farming, but based on a LOT of luck. With turn ins for it, you can get it simply by investing enough time into it.

In a good MMO, everything should be attainable by putting enough effort in over time. Competing with others over rare spawns (cloaks of corruption) just incites anger between players, and between guilds.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

*math omitted, with talks of intensity, material types, total resists based on materials, etc*

There's more math omitted here that shows that as your luck goes up each point of luck becomes worth significantly less. With a mere 600 luck, you will get lucky drops from a monster about 35% of the time. With 1200 luck, you will get lucky drops a little over 50% of the time. With 1800 luck, that goes down to a little under 65% of the time. Furthermore, taking luck as high as you can will likely deprive your character of a lot of other important mods.

For example, if you were a tamer/mage and went exclusively with luck for your suit, you'd likely have to carry reagents. Armor of Fortune provides only 40%. You'd need another 60% from a mere 3 runics, which is doable but hardly practical. Resists would also suffer in this setup because Armor of Fortune has pathetic resists, and getting 60 from a mempo and 60 from a jester hat wouldn't come close to covering that, especially when you're restricted to having 20% LRC runics on your arms, gloves, and legs. The result of this is that you will have to carry reagents, and reagents are heavy. 100 of each will cost you 80 stones of carrying capacity, and 100 of each honestly isn't enough for anything serious like champ spawns or peerless fights.

The next problem would be LMC and MR. A full suit of the luckiest gear you can put together will have exactly 0 LMC and exactly 3 MR. This will make you pathetic in any kind of drawn-out encounter. If you're paying the full 20 for E-Bolt and you're relying almost entirely on Med for your mana regen like this, you'll have to take a break between every fight (if you're lucky and don't run oom in the middle of one).

Finally, no matter what you may think, resistances matter. The Mempo is decent in this case, but going all-out luck will invariably trash your resistances. If you can just put together 70's in physical, fire, and energy resists, most monsters will actually deal so little damage to you that a modest amount of HP regen (I think I have 5) will heal you before you can say In Vas Mani. This kind of durability will make it safer for you to hunt larger targets and reduce the amount of time you take between targets to recover your hits.

All this taken together means that while a guy in a 1800 luck suit could kill 3 monsters and get lucky twice, a guy with a mere 600 luck could likely kill 10 monsters in the same amount of time and get lucky 3 times in addition to pocketing the additional gold and trade goods; especially all the potential unraveling fodder you could get when Imbuing comes out. There aren't really exceptions to this rule, either, just less extreme examples. A tamer with a solid g.dragon could kill faster, but an ABC can easily fit 600 luck on a suit and kill fast enough to make up the difference (killing 5 to the tamer's 3), especially if he can pull off Perfection time and again.

The Mempo isn't bad because it has weak mods (honestly it doesn't), it's bad because it serves only one purpose which is ultimately self-defeating thanks to the strategic elements of diminishing returns and opportunity cost.

Yes, it means that I don't get one, as much as I would like it for my tamer. I'm not too hurt by the lack of a mempo in my inventory.

Mempos are ugly ugly things.

I'm sitting on mine to sell when the price goes back up in a couple months. Even if I can't get the tokens I want, I can at least get a few practical arties that will compliment my suit nicely. With the prices people are willing to pay for one, I find this the best possible use of such an item.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Mine was given to me because a generous guild member had more than one due to the RNG. Thus, I will not sell it, but there are times (strongbox quests) when maximizing luck at the expense of armor resisitances/stats is worthwhile.

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Only 100 before giving up? ;) I'm done with ToT now, but I got probably 600-700 minors total, and only 1 mempo.

bazil

bazil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks Guum, I don't feel so bad about my 100+ sans Mempo... I do feel bad about 25%+ of my dyes being burnt brown though...

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
This is the highest single luck item, ever, in the game. I don't think it should drop "easily". It's even medable to boot.

On the other hand, requiring grinding to get it just rewards the unattended scripters.

Surely there is a better way, like a quest or turn-ins, maybe(hopefully) this will be kept in mind by the devs next time around.

Thorodin

Thorodin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
I agree that it might be a good idea to have a higher turn in to get the mempo. I think 10 majors or 100 minors is a little high for the mempo. I would say maybe 50 minors turned in for the mempo or the discontinued full set of dyes. Just my opinion. Maybe some sort of point system like is used for other events. I have found that some of the TOT minors were easy to trade in for 1/10th of a major, but others I wanted to keep more = higher point value.

Of course being able to turn in a number of minors for a specific minor kind of takes away from the story of returning lost heirlooms, but I don't care. Returning the royal familys lost artifacts to them to receive your choice of one of those lost artifacts. They actually did that during the first run though with the dyes. The royal family is so happy that 10 1 use dyes were returned to them that you could be rewarded with a full set of reusable dyes. I don't think most of us are hung up on the logistics of the story though, just want a fair trade.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Royal titles from the empress might have been a kewl reward option instead of more stuff to throw in storage at my house.

Lissa Eldi

Lissa Eldi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts
I never got a single one until the Shadowlords appeared. I go against the norm and do not use a tamer for them, also I'm a more casual player than some. I have gotten three now. I throw down an EV or two, maybe an earthquake, and IF I can get the bar..shoot fireballs.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I guess I'll try killing some shadowlords. Thanks, everyone, for letting me know I'm not the only one =D

~M

Father

Father

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
.... It's a VERY RARE item, It shouldn't have a high drop rate.

bbobccat

bbobccat

member of the Beetle Riders of Britannia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSoCal
Someone I know got 1 Leurocian's Mempo out of 150. The odd thing is he got it on the 3rd, and then got no more out of the next 147. My own experience was that out of less than 10 marties I got no Mempo, but on the second Shadowlord I got not just any martie, but a Leurocian's Mempo. I'm what you all would consider a casual player. Go figure. It's obviously going to make some people very happy and other people angry. I feel that everyone who made an honest effort to gain such an awesome item should get at least one.
Loki (Pacific)

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I think there's a reason the Random Number Generator has the word Random in it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: butmempo, drop, low, rate, ridiculously, ridiculously low