Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

EA and NetDragon Enter Agreement to Develop Ultima Online

- - - - - agreement develop ea enter netdragon online ultima

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
http://www.joystiq.c...r-asian-market/

EA and NetDragon Enter Agreement to Develop Ultima Online

HONG KONG, July 22 /PRNewswire-Asia-FirstCall/ -- Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq: ERTS) and NetDragon Websoft Inc., a leading game developer and operator in China ("NetDragon", with its subsidiaries collectively know as the "Group"; Hong Kong Stock Code: 777), today announced a licensing agreement for the development of a new massively multi-player online role playing game (MMORPG) based on "Ultima Online"™ from Electronic Arts. As part of the agreement, NetDragon will develop the new Ultima Online™ in collaboration with EA's Mythic Entertainment, and have the exclusive operating license for China, Hong Kong, Macau and India.

"We are delighted to further our relationship with EA through the development of Ultima Online™," said Mr. Liu Dejian, Chairman and Executive Director of NetDragon. "Capitalizing on our ability to create a strong online gaming experience, we are confident that Ultima Online™ will be a success in China and will also achieve remarkable results in the other markets where we'll operate the game."

Jon Niermann, President of EA Asia said, "Ultima Online™ is a well known EA property and we're delighted to bring the game to fans in China, Hong Kong, Macau and India. NetDragon is a proven partner and we're confident in their expertise to build and operate a great gaming experience for players".

Rob Denton, General Manager and Vice President of Mythic Entertainment added, "We're thrilled to be able to work with NetDragon to bring the pioneering Ultima Online to a new audience in these exciting markets."

See - http://www.joystiq.c...r-asian-market/

SOURCE NetDragon Websoft Inc.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Considering how many Chinese there were playing Shadowbane before that game died, I have no doubt that they'll have a nice playerbase to work with.

That said, I'm a bit confused. Are they making a different game using the Ultima franchise? Are they expanding the current UO for those markets? Or are they making something else altogether with some elements derived from UO?

...I guess nobody really knows the answer to that.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Theyre using UO as it is now, with some changes to comply with chinese laws.

Example: In China, games containing PvP are 18+ games. And you don't usually see corpses of players. (In chinese WoW, you turn into a gravestone when you die.)

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Very interesting. Nice move by EA.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Theyre using UO as it is now, with some changes to comply with chinese laws.

Example: In China, games containing PvP are 18+ games. And you don't usually see corpses of players. (In chinese WoW, you turn into a gravestone when you die.)

Yeah, if I remember correctly human skeletons are also banned.

It was totally illegal for Shadowbane to be officially distributed in China, but there was a large Chinese playerbase because players managed to get around the crude filters used by the Chinese government and download it. Since it was free to download and play, it was probably very easy. I doubt it happens with UO, though, since UO is pay-to-play. When that happens there's a money trail that complicates things.

yoyu007

yoyu007

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
China welcome all the UO players come to play the the new UO

ha ha

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Well as much as I dislike the idea of two different UOs, I think it's ultimately a good thing as it helps to keep UO profitable and thus online.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Well as much as I dislike the idea of two different UOs, I think it's ultimately a good thing as it helps to keep UO profitable and thus online.

True, I also see it as something of a necessary evil considering the legal restrictions on games in China. I think playing a game that conforms to those standards would eventually get on my nerves.

Vectus

Vectus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Why do I get the feeling that experience levels will be added? Not a bad idea but probably just another grind considering the way asian MMOs turn out.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've been told it won't effect USA operations.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Any changes they make would only apply to Chinese users.

Chinese players cannot access american/japanese/european shards, and we will not be able to see chinese shards.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I wish they'd make some sort of official statement or post, UO dev team to UO players.

This rather than having people comb through a bunch of stories written by people who know nothing about UO all over the web which are somewhat vague and more likely to lead to misconceptions and mangled ideas of a buyout or shutdown than clear understanding.

Vectus

Vectus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Any changes they make would only apply to Chinese users.

Chinese players cannot access american/japanese/european shards, and we will not be able to see chinese shards.

Yea. I was merely thinking out loud ( or writing heh ) about the changes I expect them to do on the version that will be running over there.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

I've been told it won't effect USA operations.

I'll believe that when it doesn't happen. I have to admit, I'm sorta concerned that UO will live in Asia and die very soon in the US.

~M

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
UH!!?!??!??!? So the Asian shards were just for Japan before?????
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
No, there were(and still are) dedicated shards for Taiwan and S. Korea.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: agreement, develop, ea, enter, netdragon, online, ultima