Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

SA Open Beta Client

- - - - - beta client open sa

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Ulfgar

Ulfgar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks everyone for trying to help, I guess I will have to resign myself to not being able to use the beta, I hope SA will work for me

Ulfgar

Ulfgar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Do I need to uninstall KR first?

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
No, no need to uninstall KR, this client is totally different

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Sulema

Sulema

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The client looks very bleak in comparison to Kingdom Reborn. Can't give full feedback yet, but the very look of it is rather sad. I like original 2D client better than KR, but at least KR is nice to look at. This... well... Can't put my finger on something specific yet, but it is very unattractive.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
So far 3 restarts to get the patch. Thank goodness it picks up where it left off.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Darla

Darla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
4 hours to download. I just finished redoing all my macros. I guess they didn't get converted/seen by SA. I got a dexxer and a mage/stealther set up. I am off to hunt a bit and see how things go.

Runs faster. Especially the graphics. Not sure the reason.

Hanibal

Hanibal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

The client looks very bleak in comparison to Kingdom Reborn. Can't give full feedback yet, but the very look of it is rather sad. I like original 2D client better than KR, but at least KR is nice to look at. This... well... Can't put my finger on something specific yet, but it is very unattractive.

I agree 100%. This is the 2D client with the KR UI. It's just a big graphics nerf to KR. This is exactly why people don't play UO. It's too hard for people to get past the 1999 graphics. KR graphics were a step in the right direction, but if this game is ever to amount to anything, it needs to be updated to a true 3D game. What was that failed attempt called again? Oh yeah...UO2!

It looks to me like they just did a compromise with all the 2D client lovers who are holding the game back. I seriously doubt I'll "upgrade" to SA due to the crappy graphics, and am uninstalling the beta client as I type this. This is sooo sad and dissapointing.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
The graphics are half KR, half 2d, so if you used both clients then there should be NOTHING you haven't seen before. I simply don't get the "bad graphics" criticism this time around.

That said, I don't get why there's any 2d art at all (other than the legacy container art, since KR containers are way bigger than legacy ones). I don't think anyone had problems with KR art that was solved by 2d art, but rather it was the crappy interface that turned them off to the game.

FarranCalder

FarranCalder

Wandering Healer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

It looks to me like they just did a compromise with all the 2D client lovers who are holding the game back.

That sounds like an accusation. Please don't point fingers and tell people that what they enjoy is holding everyone else back. KR does not feel like UO to me. SA does not feel like UO to me. A true 3d engine with all the newest bells and whistles would not be UO to me. When the 2d client is removed, I will be removing my subscription.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -The Dalai Lama

Lamtheb

Lamtheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I love the new client. Its exactly what I wanted actually. I love the 3D avatars, mapped onto the 2D tiles. I think this provides a much needed performance boost to get the KR client to work reasonable on 1Ghz systems. I've been paying with the SA client all day on my 900Mhz Celeron Netbook, I've got it setup on that system to mimic the 2D client, with the 640x480 res game box, and it runs almost the same. I think the lag is just more easier to pic apart due to the increased animation frames that you notice missing.

Then on my 20" iMac, I have it setup to rock! It took long enough to get UO to be widescreen, and now I'm loving it!!!

http://i29.tinypic.com/10fstmo.jpg

The only downsides I've had with the client so far, is that I wish they would have removed some more of the Particle Effects, and swapped out building Tiles for 2D
counter parts, it would be nice to see the minimum requirements brought down to 500Mhz, rather than 1Ghz, seriously WoW requires 1200Mhz for thier Warcraft 3 Engine...... And this is where my response to the guy above who thinks UOs downfall is its 2D graphics. All MMOs have so far dried up. WoW catered to the Wii audience for the most part, and because a very successful MMO for it. But UO survived because that little classic client can fit anywhere! It angers me that the client upgrade goes from a stagering 200Mhz to 1000Mhz, minimum spec difference between the two clients. With over 800Mhz difference, they will never be able to get rid of the classic client. I came back to UO because as I'm growing older, I don't need the latest greatest PC to play all the latest games, and infact I'm downsizing all my PCs to low wattage, low heat, Atoms or Celeron-M based systems, UO hit the sweet spot with its low system requirements, and deep gameplay I couldn't find anywhere else.

While I think SA is awesome, and really going in the right direction in terms of features, I think UO still shines as a 2D game, and the breadth of hardware it runs on keeps people happy.

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
The download and patch went smoothly however the game runs so slow that it's unplayable. I monkeyed with the settings to no avail.
And no, my computer is not outdated. And yes, my drivers are up to date. :P

P.S.
I didn't dare leave my house but as far as visuals are concerned I was rather impressed. I like the feel of it so far.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hanibal

Hanibal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

That sounds like an accusation. Please don't point fingers and tell people that what they enjoy is holding everyone else back. KR does not feel like UO to me. SA does not feel like UO to me. A true 3d engine with all the newest bells and whistles would not be UO to me. When the 2d client is removed, I will be removing my subscription.

This is exactly what I mean. You are threatening the devs that if they upgrade the game, you will quit. You don't think the people who like the graphics in KR should have a say? The world should just freeze itself in 1998?

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
SA client runs great so far on my computer, a lot smoother than KR ever did. The original setting did seem a litly dark, but that was easily remedied via the options panel and brightening a bit. Haven't messed with any of the other settings yet.

Downloading the patch took me 4 restarts, but it picked up exactly where it left off. So not too much of an issue, but something that should be fixed.

Does anyone know if the 2d version for SA will be available during open client beta?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Guest_jplusa_*

Guest_jplusa_*
  • Guests
Few observations from person who is not 10 years veteran, but started playing UO 2 years ago on KR client.

+
Better performance than KR.
Macro system improved a bit.
Spell animations and sounds are improved.
Finally, my elf is wearing hat instead of circlet in paperdoll view.
'Sticky' hotbars are nice.
Legacy map is much better than KR.

-
Using Legacy textures is step backward, really put me back being used to KR graphics.
Monster, mount and character models are in lower resolution comparing to KR.
No legacy containers in grid view.
Item dropping not improved, still have to use 'black space'.
Still crashing randomly like KR.

Generally, same KR client with few UI addons and Legacy graphics.

My first impression was WTF and how does graphics compares to renders posted on SA site ?
http://mythicmktg.fi...r_200907-02.jpg

Seriously, I think it is not way to go. Improving UI and downgrading graphics is not good idea at all. Why not use KR textures ? I think these are really good.

I never couldn't get used to 2D client, especially to mess in inventory, but I can appreciate that lot of people using it.

What about people like me who use KR ? Do we have to 'downgrade' now because KR is being discontinued ?

I have strange feeling that UO will not survive to next fall.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Downloaded, tested a little... loved it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I wouldnt talk about UO 'not surviving to next fall' because you dont like a new client. Even if you don't like SA, the majority still use 2D, and it's still going to be supported.

A lot of people like 2D inventory, because it's one of the trademarks of the UO series, even if it is inefficient.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

A lot of people like 2D inventory, because it's one of the trademarks of the UO series, even if it is inefficient.

On the contrary, I find it remarkably efficient. I put everything where it's supposed to go so I later don't have to go digging through a list of crap I looted to find my Runebook. I already know exactly where it is.

This is quite possibly the least helpful post in the entire thread. Frankly, I don't see how UO can ever become a true 3d game, but it needs the graphics upgrade the KR client provided. If you have a problem with that, then by all means leave. I'm willing to bet that EAMythic will gladly trade in your subscription for the countless subscriptions they're not getting now because of the game's badly dated graphics, and I'll happily support that decision since it will mean a better funded MMO with a more expansive community.

Besides, even if you leave, what will you play instead? I've played a *lot* of other MMOs, and they're really all the same. Being confined to a class and put on the leveling grind isn't nearly as enjoyable as UO's very non-linear character development and huge variety of ways to play. Special in-game events are nowhere near as common or as interesting as UO's. There aren't even any offline games that can match UO's diversity of character options. Even if it takes some 8 years like it took me, you'll be back playing UO eventually.

UO is being held back by a dated client that is absurdly vulnerable to cheating, turns off potenital gamers with it's old graphics, and is hard for new players to adopt with it's inflexible UI. It can't even manage a widescreen display configuration. These are the problems that the designers are facing, and insisting that they don't address them will condemn UO to steadily shrink until it no longer supports itself.

FarranCalder

FarranCalder

Wandering Healer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

This is exactly what I mean. You are threatening the devs that if they upgrade the game, you will quit. You don't think the people who like the graphics in KR should have a say? The world should just freeze itself in 1998?

On the contrary, I find it remarkably efficient. I put everything where it's supposed to go so I later don't have to go digging through a list of crap I looted to find my Runebook. I already know exactly where it is.

This is quite possibly the least helpful post in the entire thread. Frankly, I don't see how UO can ever become a true 3d game, but it needs the graphics upgrade the KR client provided. If you have a problem with that, then by all means leave. I'm willing to bet that EAMythic will gladly trade in your subscription for the countless subscriptions they're not getting now because of the game's badly dated graphics, and I'll happily support that decision since it will mean a better funded MMO with a more expansive community.

Besides, even if you leave, what will you play instead? I've played a *lot* of other MMOs, and they're really all the same. Being confined to a class and put on the leveling grind isn't nearly as enjoyable as UO's very non-linear character development and huge variety of ways to play. Special in-game events are nowhere near as common or as interesting as UO's. There aren't even any offline games that can match UO's diversity of character options. Even if it takes some 8 years like it took me, you'll be back playing UO eventually.

UO is being held back by a dated client that is absurdly vulnerable to cheating, turns off potenital gamers with it's old graphics, and is hard for new players to adopt with it's inflexible UI. It can't even manage a widescreen display configuration. These are the problems that the designers are facing, and insisting that they don't address them will condemn UO to steadily shrink until it no longer supports itself.

My apologies since I seem to have struck some raw nerves and offended. I simply enjoy 2d, it's part of what makes UO special to me. It wasn't intended as a threat towards the devs or a personal attack.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -The Dalai Lama