Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

FAQ - New UO Client Open Beta.

- - - - - beta client faq open uo

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
With the release of UO’s 8th expansion pack around the corner we thought we’d give the community just a glimmer of the technology that’s been under development.

We’d like the community to take a look at our latest efforts to improve on the interface and user experience. Please understand that you do not need to use this client for the new expansion; however, we do think you’ll enjoy a lot of the features and improvements we’ve made. This client will maintain the “beta” tag as we continue to gather information and improve it based on community feedback.

We hope you’ll take a look, and more importantly, use it as a lens for future adventures as we open up the Stygian Abyss coming this Summer!

Please note: This is an open beta of the new client, but not the expansion content. This client will work on any shard, not just Test Center, so you can test it in a real environment.

Here's some important tidbits of information.

• Players can download the client <a href="http://l3-cdn2.nap.eamythic.com/uo/sa/UOSASetup_105.exe"><b>here.</b></a>
  • Feedback can be left in our forum, <a href="http://www.uoforums.com/uo-client-feedback/"><b>here</b></a>
  • Expansion content still is in closed beta

Seasoned Sosarian

Seasoned Sosarian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
If able to afford SA on my multiple accounts, I will buy it when it is released. Until then, I have no interest in the beta.

Thanks though for thinking of me,

Chas

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
This is just a beta for the SA Client, not any actual SA Content. These are not the Gargoyles you're looking for.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Beta Testers: Yes you can use your Beta client to enter production shards now. No reinstalling :)

*Though we are still under NDA in regards to all of the content outside of the client itself.*

Lamtheb

Lamtheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
this is awesome!!! been waiting for the open client beta forever!!! THANK YOU!

Hanibal

Hanibal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Is this for real? This is a step backwards in game graphics! It's 2D graphics with the KR UI.
Please tell me this is the 2D client and isn't what SA is going to look like...

Vectus

Vectus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
I am not sure if I like what I am hearing about SA right now.. I thought that KR was a step in the right direction into making UO enticing again.. EA needs to make a decision.. A 2D client with high res textures ( time to move on from the washed out blobs for graphics ) - A 3D Client OR Keep using both 2D and 3D. I have yet to see a game that has looked good when trying to use both 2D and 3D elements. It ends up having no flow at all.

I havent played KR yet with but from the screenshots and videos I have seen its more to my liking than anything EA has done yet. I understand that some who play UO dont exactly have great PCs but what about those who do? Thats why I would suggest to keep the KR client and tweak it and then improve on the 2D engine as well. Now you have both parties happy. I dont think thats to much to ask since UO2 has been started and canned how many times now?

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Is this for real? This is a step backwards in game graphics! It's 2D graphics with the KR UI.
Please tell me this is the 2D client and isn't what SA is going to look like...

If you want people to address your issues, you have to make sense. The sprites, structures, and tiles are all KR artwork. The only graphics that aren't KR are the container art (which only appears if you enable legacy containers) and some items. The UI is mostly KR, but from what I know already the targeting is very 2D, context menus are easier to use, and the interface is a bit more customizable than KR ever was. I've also heard that the macro system is improved.

It sounds to me like you're just judging the game based on a knee-jerk reaction against the beta version, which is exactly why open betas are so rare in the first place. Instead of trying to burn SA down in flames, try to be constructive so that UO can finally transition out of the 2D graphics you obviously loathe so much.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts

The sprites, structures, and tiles are all KR artwork.

That is just not true! The mobiles are KR, but all the world art, tiles and structures are the 2d models that could be accessed in KR with the "legacy art" option. And I agree, this is a step backwards!

What I just don't understand is that they don't let us choose. There are people who like the 2d look, but there are a lot of people who prefer the KR art. They do have all the artwork, why not just make it optional?!?

Guest_sarloth_*

Guest_sarloth_*
  • Guests

What I just don't understand is that they don't let us choose. There are people who like the 2d look, but there are a lot of people who prefer the KR art. They do have all the artwork, why not just make it optional?!?

Effort.

MollyAtlantic

MollyAtlantic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for the opportunity to participate!

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Ok, I think I see what you're talking about now. I was looking at the nice, boring Sandstone Walls that I've got on my house and couldn't tell the difference, but I went to the Tailor Shop in Britan and that's clearly the 2D look.

You're still overreacting, though. I already see posts on the forum of people who think that SA as a whole is a disaster even though everything is still in beta, and well over half of it is in closed beta at that. When there are people decrying the graphics of the SA client with the same fervor that others would use to talk about the apocalypse then it's seriously not helpful.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
oh god the client I dont even have to use is a disaster, UO is clearly doomed. *sarcasm*

Personally, the only remaining issue I really have with SA is the disappearing inventory bug. Once they fix that I will use it a lot more.

Graphics - If you REALLY care about graphics....Why are you playing UO? Go play Lord of the rings Online or warhammer if graphics are really that important.

As stratics are the unofficial official forums - the whining minority are incredibly vocal, and don't let things like logic or common sense get between them and a good whine thread.

If you don't like something about SA:
- Send your feedback to EA through appropriate channels.
- Write it in coherent english, and be polite about it. Nobody is going to keep reading if you're just going to insult them, the delete button is easy to reach.
- Don't just post a whine thread full of gross exaggerations and profanity. It will be ignored by devs and on many forums get you banned. It also makes you sound like a five year old throwing a tantrum because you didnt get any candy.
- It's Beta. Don't assume beta content will be release content.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Just so we're clear on the matter.

If you don't like it, send in feedback. Use the appropriate channels.

I've submitted multiple bug reports already, but the SA client is really a vast improvement over both the 2d and the KR clients in my eyes. I just have to get used to using it.

And that really tiny radar map.

jones101

jones101

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I think I'll download it and give it a chance.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Folks the SA client is only going toget better by informing them of what your issues are.
Give them as much information about the problem AND your system as you can.
Use the built in bug report feature, this is beta and reporting issues/improving the client is what it's all about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
For anyone who needs to know, the installer appears to be downloading 1.863gb.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Guys remember this is still in Beta.Posting constructive feedback and sending in bug reports is vital to the end outcome.

This may help some of you.

~~~~

Currently the system requirements are:

Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Vista
CPU: Intel® Pentium™ III 1000 MHz or AMD® Athlon™ 1000 MHz
RAM: 512 MB or more
Video: 64 MB 3D graphics card with Hardware Transform and Lighting, such as NVIDIA® GeForce™ 3 class card or newer, ATI® Radeon™ 9700 or newer.
Exceptions: (the following cards are not supported) Geforce™ FX Series, Geforce4™ MX Series, GeForce™ PCX 5900, GeForce™ 6200 Series, Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3000, ATI® Radeon™ X300 Series, ATI® Radeon™ X1300 LE HyperMemory-32
DirectX® 9.0c and latest video drivers
Sound: Card capable of supporting DirectX 9.0
Hard Drive: 4.0 GB available space
Internet Connection: 56k or better

The recommended specs:

Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Vista
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 1800 MHz or AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1000MHz
RAM: 1024 MB or more
Video: 128 MB 3D graphics card, NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6600 class card or above , ATI® Radeon™ x1500 or above
DirectX® 9.0c and latest video drivers
Sound: Card capable of supporting DirectX 9.0
Hard Drive: 8.0 GB available space
Internet Connection: Cable or DSL Connection or better

Please Note these can change at any time since this is still in beta

ChrissayEAMythic
UO Community Coordinator

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
I logged in this morning just to look at the client. Its very similar to KR but looks clearer, to be honest I liked what I saw however it felt like I was getting 10fps. I'll have to try it again tonight for longer than 3 minutes. I'll be interesting comparing it with KR. I take it we will be allowed to post screenshots now seeing as its open beta.

I think the interface is KR and still needs to be worked on but lets give them time.

So far it looks positive.

Zanwe

Zanwe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
in reply to the OP....

I like the new ui a lot, very helpful, easy to navigate. Of course i do have suggestions and a different opinion on a few things but over all, very nice. It makes the game easier to play.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beta, client, faq, open, uo