Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Balance Issue in Publish 59

- - - - - 59 balance issue publish

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
I think I'd call this minor, but I should still raise it.

There will be 3 items available from Enhancing Cloaks of Corruption. The Cloak of Life, Cloak of Death, and Cloak of Power. These are likely to take the robe slot rather than the cloak/cape slot, because the Cloak of Corruption takes up that slot currently.

My issue is.....One of these, the Cloak of Life, is so obviously more powerful than the others that the other 2 are likely to be used less often. The Cloak of Life has a Regeneration property, HP Regen 1. The others just add something, the Cloak of Life has a Regeneration, which is much more powerful.

I'm not saying the others won't be used. Someone will use them I'm sure. I'm saying the Life Cloak will be used notably more often.

The others should be slightly beefed up, or the Cloak of Life should be slightly nerfed. Like have it HP Increase 5 or something, and no HP Regen.

Proposed Boosts:

Cloak of Death with 10 DI and 5 or 10 SDI; Cloak of Power with more substantial stat bonuses.

-Galen's player

SchezwanBeefy

SchezwanBeefy

SchezwanBeefy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Agree with the balancing issue and I think they should be taken away from the robe slot to the cape slot. Dunno about the boosts though.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Sorry, but I think you're, at best, half-right.

Life is good, no doubt, but if you have 120 defensive fighting then the 3% DCI on the Death robe will prevent more damage than Life robe regenerates, and give you 3% SDI and 3% HCI on top of that (complimenting Kasa perfectly for PvP I might add). Honestly, I think even Ari robe might prevent more damage than Life would replenish.

Silence is an extra 5 skill points on top of whoever uses Elf Cloak right now, which can be useful if you have a convoluted stealth build. Put the full 10 points into Tactics, for example, and you can get another 6.25% DI, which would be an even better offensive reward than Death.

That said, the cloaks of Power and Command really are weak. From what I can tell, Ogre Lords are the only faction monsters that have any business mixing it up in PvP in the first place, and the ones summoned by the Cloak of Command are weak. Also, the stat bonuses on Cloak of Power are negligable compared to the bonuses given by everything else.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
As far as the slot, its just :words:

Cloak means a hooded robe, typically. What we sometimes call a cloak - is really a cape.

But I can see where equipment slot comes in because the 'cloak' slot is where we put quivers, so which one they are does effect stats.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

As far as the slot, its just :words:

Cloak means a hooded robe, typically. What we sometimes call a cloak - is really a cape.

But I can see where equipment slot comes in because the 'cloak' slot is where we put quivers, so which one they are does effect stats.

They're probably a little more powerful in the back slot. The only items of note there are the Quiver of Infinity and Melissa's Cloak, which are somewhat less notable than the ari and japanese robes.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Perfect the way it is...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
I mentioned the cloak slot versus robe slot issue not because I think the item should have a cloak slot...But just as background. To explain why I was calling them "cloaks" even though they fit the robe slot. (Sometimes on the Internet you do have to explain the obvious, unfortunately.)

As to the substance of my posts, good points all.

And probably what they had in mind.

Personally I think the Life one will still do me more good but....I have to say that 1 more DCI and 1 more HCI is also an attractive proposition.

-Galen's player

chargar42

chargar42

&a mp; a mp; a mp; q uot ; Can Set Custo

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
I would like to see new implementations coming in that no one complains about. The devs did it, and we need to start appreciating these things. Time and time again, I see in these forums, negative, negative, negative. Will there ever be a time when someone isnt complaining about something? ....LOL..... UO is not perfect, will never be perfect....the unbalance of things will always be there....pvp'ers will always be there...trammies will always be there. There will always be tamers and archers..etc...Each template and each item all serves a purpose. Lets just go back to the beginning and start having FUN! Thats what UO is all about.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect love sometimes does not come until the first grandchild.

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

I would like to see new implementations coming in that no one complains about. The devs did it, and we need to start appreciating these things. Time and time again, I see in these forums, negative, negative, negative. Will there ever be a time when someone isnt complaining about something? ....LOL..... UO is not perfect, will never be perfect....the unbalance of things will always be there....pvp'ers will always be there...trammies will always be there. There will always be tamers and archers..etc...Each template and each item all serves a purpose. Lets just go back to the beginning and start having FUN! Thats what UO is all about.

Is this post serious?

Because if my point, which as you should be able to see in my other post in this thread I've backed off from, comes across as too negative somehow, you really need to visit other forums for some perspective.

-Galen's player

chargar42

chargar42

&a mp; a mp; a mp; q uot ; Can Set Custo

• Members
  • 1,151 posts

Is this post serious?

Because if my point, which as you should be able to see in my other post in this thread I've backed off from, comes across as too negative somehow, you really need to visit other forums for some perspective.

-Galen's player

I stay away from other forums for that very reason! YES ITS SERIOUS! All i am saying is people take this stuff WAY WAY too serious. IT PIXELS!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect love sometimes does not come until the first grandchild.

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

I stay away from other forums for that very reason! YES ITS SERIOUS! All i am saying is people take this stuff WAY WAY too serious. IT PIXELS!

Umm....Yeah.

You need to go to other forums, get out and see the world behind the gated fence.

I raised an issue. Only someone dangerously sheltered would see my post as too negative. Or indeed, negative at all, really.

Dangerously sheltered.

-Galen's player

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Wow! Calm down people!

In my opinion Galen didn't critize much, just raised a concern that something wasn't perfectly balanced but also said in the first sentence that it really is a minor issue that he just wanted to state.

Of course there are a lot of people who take UO and games in general to serious and go on endless rants for alwas the same things (the fel-trammel discussion really gets on my nerves too) but I don't think Galen can be accused of that in this case.

So relax! Chargar, let people discuss the same things over and over again if they want, we don't need to participate. And Galen, please don't try to get personal, as you said, this forum is like a safe haven for the civilized - let's keep it that way :)

Landicine

Landicine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

I don't consider Galen's post negative or even a complaint. It is possible talk about a valid balance issue without being angry or abusive. I think constructive criticism is always better than false praise.

Here is an example. A friend of mine is an amateur game designer who wrote his own RPG system. It was a lot of work and filled like 250 pages. He then had a group of his friends play and break the system. He cared about balance, so he wanted our feedback. He wanted us to find the problems and suggest tweaks. We did just that. We weren't mean about it. We had a lot of fun playing the game in five slightly different versions he tried out. His game is better for all that.

Does this particular issue matter that much? Probably not. If one cloak is slightly better, it will be no different than the slightly better artifacts in Doom, minor artifacts in Ilshenar, treasures in Tokuno, etc. That said I don't think Galen did anything wrong by pointing it out. No worst than a thread on the 10 best or worst major artifacts. No worst than a thread that mentions how wood crafting properties are better than the metals and leathers. These are valid points. Maybe not a critical point like a bug that needs to be fixed right away or an interesting point like new plot events, but the topic of balance of mechanics is still valid.

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
Many thanks to those of you who recognized that this comment wasn't negative.

I also realized something this morning.....What I was reacting to was out-of-date.

I was still reacting to the Test Center publish notes....The current publish notes, specific to the Origin Shard, already incorporate some changes that I'd have applauded.....had I not been an idiot and hadn't noticed them!

*chuckles*

For example, I was reacting to the Cloak of Death with 1s across the board...now it has 3s across the board.

Sorry!

*sighs*

-Galen's player

MegaMongbat

MegaMongbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
You are forgiven, my son.
*whacks Galen on the head with the holy book of Virtues*

(always wanted to do that to someone!)

Cabe Bedlam

Cabe Bedlam

Master of Magic, no really I'm serious

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
Glad we're all happy again!

:grouphug:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

You are forgiven, my son.
*whacks Galen on the head with the holy book of Virtues*

(always wanted to do that to someone!)

Be aware that, soon, I will have 3 more HCI.

Assuming someone on Great Lakes sells one of these things.

And assuming they either have no durability, and/or are PoF-able.

-Galen's player

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
internet clothing is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

All I see is Draconi beating galen with a 'this is test center, not a live publish sign'.

They tell us all the time, and we always forget!

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

internet clothing is SERIOUS BUSINESS.

All I see is Draconi beating galen with a 'this is test center, not a live publish sign'.

They tell us all the time, and we always forget!

Umm....What?

If you object to talking about UO issues, which is the implication of your first line which appears to be written sarcastically, then what are you doing with an account in UO Forums? Think about that a moment.

I haven't been on the Test Center. I have no idea what these items look like on the Test Center. So I have no idea was to the context of your remark about Draconi beating me with some kind of sign.

Seriously....What's going on here? First I'm called negative, because I raised an issue. Now it's implied that I'm taking it too seriously?

How would you feel if I replied similarly to your post in the negative "What I don't like about Treasures of Tokuno" thread?

In fact hold on, I'll go do just that.

Seriously....I'm not being negative in any meaningful sense; I'm not posting too intensely in any meaningful sense; and I haven't said anything about the Test Center or how things are there, which I wouldn't know anyway because I rarely go there.

So what's up with these weird replies?

-Galen's player

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Peace, man.

It's just a joke aimed at those types that scream on UHall when they don't like test center publish notes, without thinking they might change for the actual publish. Not aimed at yourself, just that you mentioned that it was changed without being noticed when it went to origin.

Internet X is serious business is somewhat of a reference to how people in general get all bent out of shape over MMO changes, when in fact its just a game.

Clearly it wasnt taken as such, and I must apologize.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 59, balance, issue, publish