Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Ultima online - a waste of time??

- - - - - online time ultima waste

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Kandyr

Kandyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello there UO players, ive been playing this game with different trail accounts for quite some time now. I love the game and all that it has to offer.
But my concern is that even if i put in some time and effort to this game will it be a waste of time since the game is like 12 years old.

When im playing an MMO i want the game to be active enough to enjoy all the things the game has to offer. In UO i would love to own a house or several houses.. is this even possible since what ive come do understand is that old players and their houses are still here which makes it very difficult for relatively new players to place a house?

I also would like to find a nice guild to play with when my character is getting better.
Im just one of those guys who likes to "train" the character to the max before i'm beginning to do the other things available. Will it just be a waste of time to play this game just as much as i did with lets say WoW and other simmilar games? or is there a fantastic world waiting if i just commit myself??

Peace out!

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
You'll have no trouble placing a house.

You can enjoy everything the game has to offer if you find the right friends to play with.

You can train your character first before doing everything else, or you could start by doing things and train along the way. That choice is yours.

There is an immense amount of freedom in UO that no other game has to offer, and I don't consider my time in UO to be wasted.

You may want to go to a more populated shard like Europa or Atlantic to start with (even though I prefer Catskills) unless you get recruited into a guild before-hand. UO without a guild can be a lonely world.

And welcome aboard (if you decide to stick around). We hope to see more of you!

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
It is a waste.

I wasted 12 years and I plan to waste alot more...

Bloody waste...

(Do not confuse the friendly ironical tone with sarcasm!)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
UO is completely different from WoW and a lot of other MMOs. UO is a much more free environment, where you are not restricted to quests, or levels. Someone brand new can go anywhere... may not get a lot done, but you can go. There are no set classes, or such like that either.

The flip side of that coin tho is that it can be overwhelming. There is a bit of a learning curve, and sometimes people get lost. Without some guidance, it can be confusing on what skills would be best to use, where to go, and what to do in general. A good guild can help tons with that. Also coming here and asking questions or just looking around can help too.

The world of UO is really limited only by your imagination.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

The world of UO is really limited only by your imagination.

Now imagine you are insane and you play UO... =)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Phoenix_DWxC

Phoenix_DWxC

Deputy Mayor of Dragon's Watch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Welcome...a waste of time, I dont think so. I have been around now for 12 years and there is still so much I have not done, one reason is the real world takes me away at times. The possibilities are endless in UO. I have created characters that I have worked daily til they reached the max in stats and others which I have worked up as I went along. Housing is plentiful on Chesapeake I could show you 4 plots available right now for an 18x18 (max storage) and just designing your home could take you months depending on your taste.
I agree find a shard with a good connection for your computer and the most valuable is a good group of people to help you along. If you decide to try Chessy let me know will be glad to show you around and get you up and started.

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,647 posts
Definitely not a waste of time. I've been playing 12 years and there are still things for me to do and see in UO. What's more, this current Dev Team has been adding content pretty consistently. They also have Event Teams now so there is plenty to keep you occupied.

Finally, UO characters are never set. That is, if you get bored with, say your fighter, you can take up new skills and try a different class. In my opinion, it is one of the most flexible and content packed MMOs you'll find.

Out of curiosity, what shard do you play?

Kandyr

Kandyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for all the answers :)

Im playing on Europa

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It's great value for money when you think of how much you pay per month
I think it's only a waste of time if you don't enjoy or play it anymore, but still pay the monthly fee.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
even if you only play 10 hours a month, its still better 'hours of entertainment/dollar' than most other things.

grimiz

grimiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
If you think about it, all games are a time sink... you're just picking which one to spend it in. To answer your concerns, I don't beleive UO is going anywhere. If it was it would have been gone several years ago. UO definitely has it's own niche carved out with it's 2D client - I'd love to see it make the jump to 3D client as smooth as WoW's, but there would be some mechanics that just wouldn't work the same as the current client (collision mainly).

As others have said - it depends on what you personally want to get out of the game. I enjoy PvM, house design, and crafting without ever talking to a single person. It's relaxing to me for some reason... when I'm not dying to client crashes.

As for finding people, the world seems really dead if you go to any of the old cities. Try going to Luna - it seems to be where all the cool kids are :)
Free MMO guild hosting (without ads) at guildtag.com

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts

Now imagine you are insane and you play UO... =)

Sounds like a lot of my guildmates... me too! lol

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
All MMOs are a waste of time. That is what a game is, a form of entertainment.
Just like the hottest new movie, that can not miss television show, a good book. They are all ways to escape your real life for a period of time.

Europa has had some of the best roleplaying/guld life of all UOs shards. UO is also the hardest MMO that I have ever played though it has gotten easier over the years. No levels, not much holding your hand, does not tell/limit your travels. Want to go down to the deepest dungeon in UO with a new character, you can, you will not live long but you can still go. Want to place a house? You can, you are not going to have the largest available but one can still be placed. Been playing nearly the entire time UO has been running and I still only have a villa.

UO is what you make of it. Yes, some people are childish, some cruel, some greedy, some dishonest, some enjoy tormenting other players. It is just a warped reflection of other people fantasies. You will be bringing your fantasy into UO also, thereby making something new in our lands.

Just like in real life, you have to decide what you want from UO, it will not be given to you. I would suggest taking your fairly new character out and explore, so you will die, so what, that is part of the game. Explore overland, it is many times safer than it used to be. Just be sure to only take those things which you can afford or am willing to lose. Over time your character will improve and you can achieve more but first you have to learn to crawl before you learn to walk.

Either way I welcome you to UO. Whether you stay or go is entirely up to you.
Safe travels and may your stay be quite sometime.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: online, time, ultima, waste