Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Archer Tamer (PVM)

archer pvm tamer

19 replies to this topic

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Greetings... I have been testing this new Template in ToT.

Animal Taming 120
Animal Lore 120
Veterinary 120

Archery 120
Tactics 90
Healing 80
Meditation 70

Using the right Talisman and Weapon you can deal ALOT of damage.

You can tweak it so you can PVP or do the Gauntlet, Spawns, Peerless...

All input is welcomed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
healing with no anat?

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
No ressing, no extra damage, no extra healing.

Just a self-centered Pvmer.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Less self centered:
110 taming
110 lore (can be raised to 115 taming/lore for control of dread war horse, or a combination 110/120 for extra stable slot and control of DWH)
90 vet (cure less than 100%, but still not bad, ressurect less than 100% but can still do it)
120 archery
90 tactics
That is the basics (aka the minimum)
Then you can add in 120 bushido and 80 chivalry for heals/ressurections (bring +chiv jewels along and FC4 for fast heals/cures).

With the right pet combination, there is literally no template which can out-damage this one.

Just bring potions and/or a cross healer!

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.
After playing around with templates, I settled on this one. Over the past few months, it's become one of my favorites.

120 Archery
120 Tactics
115 Lore
110 Taming
110 Vet
75 Chiv
70 Med

With 4/6, it's surprisingly difficult to kill this guy. I think that chivalry has many advantages over straight healing: EOO, consecrate, remove curse, cleanse by fire, dispel, divine furry. In my mind, chivalry will enhance your survivability over straight healing, not to mention your damage output.

Thumper

Thumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

In my mind, chivalry will enhance your survivability over straight healing, not to mention your damage output.

Good point, plus your not spending the points in Anat & Healing, just the Chiv skill... If you can manage your mana, sounds like the better route to go.

projectreality

projectreality

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm wondering what your stats and suit look like, Lorcan,if you don't mind sharing?

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

I'm wondering what your stats and suit look like, Lorcan,if you don't mind sharing?

This is my question. My experience is that the archer/tamer template has the most absurd suit requirements in the game. You literally need every single mod there is except for SDI and LRC (and that's assuming you're carrying reagents for GHeals & Invises, which is a pain). Furthermore, balancing stats is a real pain. You really need 100 str so that you can carry stuff and have a decent HP pool. And you really need 80 minimum intelligence so that you can use specials and still be able to cast on your dragon. And you really need as much dex as you can get, preferrably max. But that is 300 stats there, so that goes eating yet more mods.

I'll readily admit to not sticking with this playstyle long enough to figure out all the ins and outs, but I did run it for a few weeks and found it to just be exhausting trying to balance all the different requirements, keep enough arrows on hand, keep reagents on hand, keeping bandages on hand, and not sucking while doing it. Juggling slayer bows too? Oy! And to top it all off, I'd rank my archer/tamer survivability behind my peace/disco tamer.

It's a fun-*seeming* template. I have no idea how to make it actually fun to play.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
You cannot cast on your dragon with this template. It has no magery.

It is designed to kill lesser targets quickly (good for when ToT is active), not tank peerless/doom like a tamer mage, so its only healing option is vet - no In Vas Manis here. The archery skills add a lot of extra damage - it does more damage than a tamer mage, at least until Word of Death is usable :)

Statwise, I'd simply build it like an archer - enough STR to hit 100 with items on, enough int for specials and chiv skills. The rest dex.

I would actually play this as a human, simply because of the mana reduction humans get to special moves (they have something like 100-140 free points in combat skills that effect specials, reducing mana cost by 10%.) If you want to use a cu, you will need to wear the pads, and get an elf tamer to tame one for you, however.

Taylor V. Smith

Taylor V. Smith

Director of Stratics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.
My archer/tamer has 118 hp, 145 stam, 79 mana (110 str, 130 dex, 41 int).

He's an elf, so that gives me extra mana. He's wearing RBC, spirit of the totem, conjurer's, quiver of infinity, crimson, and orny for arties. The custom pieces on his legs, arms, hands, and neck have lmc, mr, and si. Altogether, he has 40 lmc, 9 mr, 15 si.

I don't think of him as a "lesser target" toon - I don't have any of those. I run doom and peerless (including Griz, which is highly healing intensive) with him all the time. Just takes a greater with good resists and high wrestle. If aids aren't healing him fast enough, I cast close wounds. With 40 lmc, 9 mr, and 70 med, I can cast close wounds pretty near indefinitely.

Again, I don't think of him as a specialty template at all. Rather, he is one of my most versatile. For champs, gauntlet, peerless, PvP, SLs, etc., he works great.

You are right, though, that it is a complicated toon to play. Takes a while to get the hang of, as there're so many moving parts (all kill, EOO, consecrate, vet, close wounds, so forth). However, once you DO get the hang of it, it's REEAAALLY boring to go back to a plain 'ol weaver/mage/tamer. On the weaver/tamer, you feel like you're just sitting around healing your greater - not participating in the fighting. *yawn*

:-D

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I didnt know close wounds worked on pets, good to know :)

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

I didnt know close wounds worked on pets, good to know :)

Then you haven't been out hunting with Aneirin much have you.

When the mages fail in appropriately cross healing, which happens oh-too-frequently, I step in too close to the enemy and start spamming the close wounds.

There's little worse than a dead tank when I want my enemy to stay put and be an appropriate pin cushion. (I wish more people thought like that)

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Yeah, for my attempt at Archer/Tamer, I didn't drop magery. I just could not go without a long-range healing method for my dragon. Heh, actually, I had no idea what the range on Close Wounds was until I started work on the Archer/Tamer, and I had a WTF moment when I discovered its range. ;) But yeah. I actually did come up with a couple of outstanding weapons for the template...I'd have to dig through my chests now to find them, but they were both balanced (so that I could chug invis pots, mostly, and still have that crutch), had DI, SSI, and ML. And one was even spell channeling, for when I knew I'd have to do long distance heals on my dragon. Between those bows and the hunter's headdress I used, as well as a couple of pricey custom pieces, the suit ran me like 20 million, and it still kinda blew.

But maybe my problem here was trying to figure out whether I was an archer first and a tamer second or vice versa. And then trying to figure out exactly what I was doing with my toon...its raison d'etre was far from clear. I was pretty relieved when I switched him back to disco/peace tamer.

Now necro/weaver tamer on the other hand...that I had some fun with. ;)

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
yeah, close wounds is designed to be a 'warrior heal' so its not designed for long range. I just assumed it couldnt heal pets, heh.

Of course in practice, I just cant play an archer without chiv. Heck I can't play a non-mage without chiv.

Big Willy

Big Willy

Undead Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
You know, I've been kicking around the idea of starting an Arch Tamer for a while, and because of this thread, I started one last night. I didn't know if it would be of any use, but seeing all the different possibilities out there, I can't wait till it gets finished! Never even thought of using Chiv heals on a critter. What I decided to go with:

120 archery
120 tactics
110 animal lore
110 taming
100 bush
90 vet
80 chiv
50 med

I decided to run the Hunter's Headdress and Spell Woven Britches to give me the 30 extra skill points and I'll wind up putting 15 med on each piece of jewelry. So hopefully, I will be able to get all the other properties I need out of this suit. Gotta love Imbuing!

Guest_williamparkar_*

Guest_williamparkar_*
  • Guests
120 Archery
120 Tactics
115 Lore
110 Taming
110 Vet
75 Chiv
70 Med

cameron26

cameron26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
lore 115
vet 116
music115
tam 86 ( i know im lazy)
magery 100
peace 90
med 76
may be sw i have it soul stoned at 100

im in uwf guild on atlantic. WHat can i do with this char to make it pimp? What options do i have pvm of course

sanlam

sanlam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
How do you get arrow/bolt? another character with fletching and lumberjacking or buy from npc?

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
This option is intriguing... though I'm stuck in a thought loop with Guum. Is an archer-tamer a tamer first, or an archer first? My thought is it would have to be a tamer first, with the priority being keeping the pet alive. So the benefit here is doing more damage than say a bard-tamer, but at the expense of long-range healing options for the pet.

In places like Doom, where I typically play my bard-tamers, I almost exclusively heal long-range.

And hitting mobs with archery, I'd be drawing attention to my toon (instead of keeping aggro on my pet) - which seems to complicate (or make more interesting?) the actual play logistics. (Now I'd have to heal myself as well as the pet).

Definitely intriguing. For those that like this template - how do you go about playing it?

Yelena

Yelena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
i am playing around with this...

120 archery
120 lore
100 vet
100 tame (add +20 with jewle set to make 120)
100 med
90 tactics
90 mage

or.....

instead of mage and med

120 archery
120 lore
100 vet
100 tame (add +20 with jewle set to make 120)
90 healing
90 tactics
70 chiv
30 med + 20 joat focus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Death comes in so meny forms and I know quite a few of them....http://img204.imageshack.us/i/yelenasig.jpg/

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: archer, pvm, tamer