Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

crafting idea - Grandfather clocks

- - - - - clocks crafting grandfather idea

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
OK, so here's another in my line of hopefully interesting and even MORE hopefully useful items that crafters could make. Craftsmen & women need products that makes them more integral to the game. Please feel free to critique and/or criticize, as always. :)

Grandfather clock

What it does - every Ultima world hour, it chimes just as a real clock would. Chimes can be disengaged. When you walk by the clock (3 tiles?) the current UO time is displayed above the clock - or you can actively click it like the wall clocks we have now. Dyeable with a furniture tub. The face and pendulum chamber would not change color, if it can be done that way on the back-end. Turn-able with house decorating tool.

What it COULD do to make it useful: We have had scrolls of alacrity and SoTs, etc. Perhaps future events could offer 'Clocks Gears' of Alacrity - say, a 15 minute (real world) gear of Tinkering. A different future event could offer clock gears that actively increased a skill for one hour (real world), say a +5 Magery, or a +20 Spirit Speak (not to exceed that skills cap - no 140 Taming total, for example). Yet another event could provide clock gears that serve some other purpose - maybe a Clock Gear of Training -10 Magery. Clock gears not stackable - no -10 magery and magery alacrity, for example.

The clock gears can only be used by those who possess a grandfather clock. The clock can only be used when locked down in a house. Clock gear is used up when double clicked, then the clock is clicked (like a gear for Dawns Music Box).

This is a nice piece of deco that can serve a long term useful purpose, I think.

GM Tinker has 75% chance at success
Requires recipe obtained by a special quest (to be developed)

Ingredients (there a lot, but it could DO a lot, so it should be materially expensive):
250 log (retains color of material - casing only)
25 leather
20 clock gears
10 gears with axles
60 minor gems (diamonds?)
12 Major gems
1 Master Gear - special drop, like a peerless ingredient or something.
1 Corruption (it does corrupt the normal flow of time, after all)
1 small Blackrock pebble
all ingredients negotiable - just brainstorming here.

Thoughts?

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I'm all for new content!

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
It still reminds me of Oregon Trail :)

Thumper

Thumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
I really love this idea...
one thing to keep in mind, have to make items/artwork for each craftable stage (i.e frame for the wood stage, clock face for the gems, etc. If you flesh those things out, it would help)
could take it further, a rope + bola balls for the pendulum...
(I'm just randomly rambling, I love your ideas)
I really love the blackrock pebble, I got a bunch I need to get rid of =)
and even though I don't do a lot of peerless, I think that is a good way to go. Make this thing Rare/hard to craft/useful
Sextants come to mind for materials? I'm not a tinker, but maybe the parts could combine to make one.

The useful part, I'm guessing others have a better Idea, but what was presented is.
I like the idea of telling the time - because it could help with some quests (The werewolf one comes to mind).

Overall, awesome idea, and just my 2 gold worth - hope you found this feedback a little bit helpful.

Edit: Ingots (depending on color) to make the hands (10?) could come up with some crazy combo's (Rubys for the face, valorite hands, frostwood for the frame)

Maeglid

Maeglid

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

It still reminds me of Oregon Trail :)

Um... what? :huh: :)

Maeglid

Maeglid

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

I really love this idea...
one thing to keep in mind, have to make items/artwork for each craftable stage (i.e frame for the wood stage, clock face for the gems, etc. If you flesh those things out, it would help)
could take it further, a rope + bola balls for the pendulum...
(I'm just randomly rambling, I love your ideas)
I really love the blackrock pebble, I got a bunch I need to get rid of =)
and even though I don't do a lot of peerless, I think that is a good way to go. Make this thing Rare/hard to craft/useful
Sextants come to mind for materials? I'm not a tinker, but maybe the parts could combine to make one.

The useful part, I'm guessing others have a better Idea, but what was presented is.
I like the idea of telling the time - because it could help with some quests (The werewolf one comes to mind).

Overall, awesome idea, and just my 2 gold worth - hope you found this feedback a little bit helpful.

Edit: Ingots (depending on color) to make the hands (10?) could come up with some crazy combo's (Rubys for the face, valorite hands, frostwood for the frame)

I always find feedback helpful. :) Not that I have any power to IMPLEMENT any of these things, but I like musing on them anyway.

Re: clock hands - I'm guessing that the face would be too small to display hands (at least in 2D, dunno about KR).

Re: clock frame and other components - Not a bad idea, since that is how the current wall clock is made... so a carpenter would make a frame, a tinker the mechanism. Who would combine them? A tinker I guess, as they would have the working knowledge of the mechanics. The colors though, that could be a problem. There are eight(?) wood types/colors, and eight gem colors - that would be 64 combinations alone, then add in the turned unit and you get 128. Adding in a third color... Well, I don't know of any items in game that are this variable in their artwork, but it would be frickin' awesome if they could do it.

FWIW, the regular craft-able wall clock does tell UO time. You have to click on it for it tell you though.

Maeglid

Maeglid

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
For the initial quest, I was thinking a new character could appear in the Lyceaum(sp?). Perhaps a Gargish (SA) scholar bringing new lore. S/he would ask for research of Sosaria to be performed for them. The scholar wants the info to (purportedly) help the gargoyles understand the Sosarian world and thus keep peace between the races. Or s/he could be a lying scum and want to find the weaknesses. Who knows for sure? All the intrepid adenturer knows is that they can earn a grandfather clock recipe for footing about in Sosarian towns taking note of cultures and leaders and such.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Have one in Fel seeking weaknesses and one in Tram seeking peace :)

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
I'm all for it with one problem.

I don't think it should be so hard to make (ingrediants)

I'm already haveing to miss out on my library not getting full bookcases cause of stupid stuff like that.

Decorative Content should not be so damn hard to get/make.

I've been playing since 99 and I am a roleplayer/designer.
I don't have millions i don't have a gazzillion arties or supped up templates.

Not everyone does. can we please think of everyone...

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Honestly, I want a clock that tells RL time. Nothing more.

EDIT: Or, on the other hand, if it MUST do something else... have it tell me a HH:MM time when items with the Lifespan property will expire. It's not the most fun thing to look at my Arcane Focus with a lifespan of 27843... 42... 41... seconds and try and figure out at what time it expires.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Interesting idea.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Maeglid

Maeglid

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

I'm all for it with one problem.

I don't think it should be so hard to make (ingrediants)

I'm already haveing to miss out on my library not getting full bookcases cause of stupid stuff like that.

Decorative Content should not be so damn hard to get/make.

I've been playing since 99 and I am a roleplayer/designer.
I don't have millions i don't have a gazzillion arties or supped up templates.

Not everyone does. can we please think of everyone...

Well, if they implemented it as a deco -only- item (which I would be fine with), then it should be "expensive" but only in common items, no peerless or blackrock. I'm with you on that. I myself play for fun, not wealth-gain. I've never even attempted a Peerless run in 2+ years. Can't afford the 120's and whatnot. I might try someday with a group, but until I get better off financially, I can't compete. And yeah, those academic books... argh.

Robert Falcon

Robert Falcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
This is nice and all, but why is it, every time I see something like this its always made form something a true crafter can’t get? I have an awesome crafter, but because of it, he has no combat skills to go to the places to gather the required items! It be nice to be able to make things from normal stuff!

Tailors making rugs!

Tinkers making locks for doors

Carpenters making archery butts

Blacksmiths making armor for normal mounts

Tamers making something that allows pets to stay in our homes (Non-hitching post nightmare)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clocks, crafting, grandfather, idea