Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Scroll use for scribblers!

- - - - - scribblers scroll

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Characters that have trained Inscription have no pre-requisite to train Necromancy, Magery, or the upcoming Mysticism, and yet at the same time players lacking these skills can't use the tools that they spend their careers making!

I say scribes should get a passive bonus to their ability to use scrolls just like how Eval Int and Anatomy add to defensive wrestling. Something along the lines of...

Effective Magery = (Inscription - 20) / 2

Resulting in odds of about...

GM Scribe, 0 Magery: 100% cast circle 1, 2, 3, 4, ~75% cast circle 5, ~40% cast circle 6, ~10% cast circle 7 from scrolls, 0% cast most any of this stuff from a spellbook.

While this looks like a lot of spells, almost all will be considerably weaker because of the low magery used to power them and the potential lack of any Eval Int.

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
GM scribes get a 10% Spell dmg increase... dunno if that ONLY applies to magery, or if it covers necro/mystic.

Kimmy

Kimmy

=^.^=

• Members
  • 1,128 posts
Um.... No?

Scribeing has nothing to do with magery or any of the rest of it.

Scribing is writing !!!! down. not casting.

Making Sosaria Beautiful one home at a time.

Posted Image

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
its a rare scribe who isn't a gm+ mage already, anyway.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Phoenix_DWxC

Phoenix_DWxC

Deputy Mayor of Dragon's Watch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
In the beginning for those of us who are ancient scribes, one had to master the arts of magery. You could not scribe lvl 8 spells unless you could cast them. When the Age of Shadows arrived you no longer needed magery to become a master scribe. I have never understood how a scribe could make scrolls without the knowledge...this has always baffled me.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

In the beginning for those of us who are ancient scribes, one had to master the arts of magery. You could not scribe lvl 8 spells unless you could cast them. When the Age of Shadows arrived you no longer needed magery to become a master scribe. I have never understood how a scribe could make scrolls without the knowledge...this has always baffled me.

Despite all this, Inscription apparently has nothing to do with magic.

I'd think that if I were somehow able to create magical writings that invoked powerful magic, I'd be able to at least fake using them well enough in order to do... well... something.

MegaMongbat

MegaMongbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I was always under the impression you still needed the appropriate magery or necromancy casting skill in order to scribe a scroll of that type and level of spell.

If they indeed removed this, then yeah, I get your point and inscription may have gotten a bit weird.

Inscription (pre-AOS) used to be insanely powerful and in combination with wrestling a must for any mage. This was mainly because of how the Reactive Armour and Magic Reflection spells used to work. Back then if you had GM Inscription, casting reactive armour meant you had an additional 100+ hitpoints to resist physical damage (and back then almost every monster did physical damage). The same went for spells and magic reflection. That in combination with the fact that you did +1% spelldamage for every 10 real skillpoints in inscription made scribe mages (wizards) a force of nature.

But yeah, AoS and a couple of other nerfs later, inscription has become all but useless as even some NPC mages sell up to lvl7 scrolls, there are so many runebooks around they hardly need to be crafted anymore and since everyone is a GM mage these days no one needs scrolls to cast their high level spells anymore (before powerscrolls, mages used to carry lvl8 summon and resurrection scrolls as regular lvl8 spells fizzled 66% of the time, where at GM you'd have 100% casting a lvl8 spell off a scroll).

MegaMongbat

MegaMongbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Addiionally, if you ask me, mages should get a +1% spell damage for every 5 points they invest in inscription.
This would make it 20% at GM level where you should perhaps get an extra bonus of 5% to make it +25% SDI at 100 skill.

When you take a look at the current spelldamage increase items, this would not be too unbalancing as some items alone have +25% and this actually requires an investment of skillpoints.

Maybe it's something EA can have a look at. Should be a quick fix if this idea gets enough support and they were willing to implement it.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Along with this, they should give you inherent enhance potions % based on Alchemy skill :)

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Along with this, they should give you inherent enhance potions % based on Alchemy skill :)

Luckily they do, but Alchemy still just can't keep up with Magery one-on-one. If you add in supporting skills, the discrepency gets even worse: Magery/Poisoning/Eval Int just flat smokes Alchemy/Poisoning/Fencing in terms of effectiveness. Regardless, my ideas for Alchemy should be a separate thread.

But yeah, I'm speaking as a guy that just GMed Inscription and now my character is... just about the same as he was before. He basically has 5 more points of Resisting Spells when Protection is up and deals ~108 damage when he corp pors a serpentine dragon instead of ~99, and even though I have the potential to create some cool spellbooks theres no reason to use them when you have Scrappers and Clanins out there which are now ridiculously cheap and easy to obtain. Also, even if NPC vendors didn't sell any scrolls over 3rd circle (which they shouldn't), most any mage with 300 gold (to train Cartography) can get up to 7th circle very easily by doing level 1 t-maps. This also goes for Necromancers since Necromancy scrolls are now on the same drop tables as magery ones, assuming they don't just skip this process and do the New Haven Necromancy quest.

That leaves about 12 items that will commonly be gotten from scribes: 8th-level Magery scrolls, Runebooks (which most everyone has enough of nowandays), Bulk Order Books (which are virtually worthless without BoDs or fancy, colored covers), Spellbooks (<1% of which are worth selling), and Scrappers (which require peerless regs). They will also occasionally make Enchanted Switches and Runed Prisms as the easiest part of the ridiculously convoluted assembly process involved in making a Runed Switch. When it comes to crafting skills, Inscription is easily and by far the weakest.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
There are mage templates that are more useful than a scribe/mage (I like to call it a pure mage) like taming, necro, or weaving.

MegaMongbat

MegaMongbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Well, instead if laying the smackdown on inscription, let's look at the bright side eh?
At least it's far more useful than Taste Identification!
(but then, so is a fished up pair of boots)

Seriously though, I think that if they upped the spelldamage bonus -or at least let it raise graduately instead of only giving a bonus at GM- alot more people would consider taking up the skill.
I know I would!

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Of course we could even go the other way with it. Instead of making it a more viable skill for combat templates, go the crafting route.

Craftable recipes! Basically, by the same method Unravelling will work for Imbuing, we study crafted recipe items, and have a chance of getting either a rare item needed for their construction, or the recipe, or nothing at all :)

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Craftable recipes! Basically, by the same method Unravelling will work for Imbuing, we study crafted recipe items, and have a chance of getting either a rare item needed for their construction, or the recipe, or nothing at all :)

Maybe Craftable Spellweaving scrolls. Have them take 2-3 lesser peerless regs to make each so that they're still kinda rare and rather expensive but not so obscure that you're forced to either rely on really good friends or pay out an arm and a leg for one.

Probably also craftable Necromancer books. Instead of checking Magery you would get Necromancy checked when making them and the stats would give +Necromancy and +Spirit Speak instead of +Magery and +Eval Int. If this gets added, then add an artifact necro book with bonuses along the lines of +Spirit Speak, LMC, and LRC.

Even with these, though, Inscription will be way outclassed by Imbuing and Alchemy for the hybrid magic/crafting skills.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scribblers, scroll