Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Would Anyone be for bringing back power hour?

- - - - - back bringing hour power

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I was reading up on the reasons why they took power hour out of the game. Having played the game with power hour in it I can honestly say that even though I did not know about power hour from day one that it was an extremely pleasant surprise when I found out about it. This site has the reasons why power hour was taken out, but I would like to see it put back in along side the GGS.

http://uo.stratics.c...s/evocare.shtml

This game was so good just for this one reason, My 2 cousins, my brother and I all played until we went to college. I started back up in 2004 and to my disgust power hour had been taken out and with no way to quickly increase my skills, I quit.

I joined again to see what is different, and the economy is totally crap! 8-40mil on Atlantic for some stuff and 500 for "rares". Just shows that people will farm and keep on farming no matter what.

If you think power hour should be brought back and added to GGS post here and say AYE!

Otherwise make your own thread please

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I agree as long as it happens during an hour that makes sense. Perhaps we should be able to choose the hour it happens.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It'd be nice if it was brought back, but was optional during one's gameplay.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Maybe some item that we can turn on and off. You get one per day, it does not carry over after server maintenance, and can only be 'on' for 60 minutes...

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Or perhaps tie it to the virtues/ankhs
Speaking a mantra activates a set or random amount of time for accelerated skill gain.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Absolutely not.

Skill gain is so fast now for any skill that doesn't involve a musical instrument or taming that there's no concievable reason to put in power hour.

So attempting to add power hour back in would just waste the developers time which could be used for much more game-impacting changes (balance, bug squashing, live events, etc).

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Absolutely not.

Skill gain is so fast now for any skill that doesn't involve a musical instrument or taming that there's no concievable reason to put in power hour.

So attempting to add power hour back in would just waste the developers time which could be used for much more game-impacting changes (balance, bug squashing, live events, etc).

I have to agree with this. On my warrior I went from 50's to GM weapon skills in a few days of casual play and a couple hours beating on a golem, and at the same time I managed to join a guild, assess the economy of UO, and find a way to make money. On my next character, I went from 50 to GM magery in a couple weeks of casual play and made a decent amount of money while doing it, and this was formerly the hardest skill in the game to raise even if you were out on a boat in the middle of nowhere burning your reagents up for nothing.

Also, there are actually very few items that are worth 40m, and the ones that are truly are rare. The more high-end an item is, the more overpriced it is in Luna. To the extent that the economy has blown up in recent years, it's really blown up for everything. Various weakling monsters yield hundreds of gold per head if you loot them and sell the valuable pieces on a vendor, and several more monsters of more moderate difficulty yield thousands of gold on each kill using the same process. It's just like the WoW economy where Copper Bars sell for 5s each on some servers (if that hasn't gone up since I left).

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I have to agree with this. On my warrior I went from 50's to GM weapon skills in a few days of casual play and a couple hours beating on a golem, and at the same time I managed to join a guild, assess the economy of UO, and find a way to make money. On my next character, I went from 50 to GM magery in a couple weeks of casual play and made a decent amount of money while doing it, and this was formerly the hardest skill in the game to raise even if you were out on a boat in the middle of nowhere burning your reagents up for nothing.

Also, there are actually very few items that are worth 40m, and the ones that are truly are rare. The more high-end an item is, the more overpriced it is in Luna. To the extent that the economy has blown up in recent years, it's really blown up for everything. Various weakling monsters yield hundreds of gold per head if you loot them and sell the valuable pieces on a vendor, and several more monsters of more moderate difficulty yield thousands of gold on each kill using the same process. It's just like the WoW economy where Copper Bars sell for 5s each on some servers (if that hasn't gone up since I left).

I can't agree with either of you, in 3 days time I've only seen .3 gains to my magery from playing and my magery is only 72.1. I played UO from the beginning and I remember getting to 99 magery within a week then sailing around for about 4-5 days for that last full point. Same thing with all the skills really. But watching my skills raise like hell from power leveling them was immensly satisfying. And back then we didn't have to exploit using golems.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Skillgain should be a task, not a chore. For that reason, bringing back powerhour merely makes skillgain a game focus once again, which I'm opposed to. There are already enough treadmills. The game should be about challenges, puzzles, fights, surprises and the promise of treasure all washed down with ale at the tavern afterwards or cried about at the healers.

For those experiencing "slow" gains, make sure youre using the best/fastest method. So often I see people using something they read on UOPowergamers which gave up the ghost years ago.

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
it would be nice if there were some puzzles or mysteries in the game :)
But that still does not compensate for the fact that it takes an extreme amount of game play to GM a skill let alone get one to legendary, and most people who are legendary use bots, exploits and recursive macros. So while it might be ok for you to set a bot and leave your pc while "it" levels you up, its not ok for me. I want to see my skill raise substantially not this 1 point per hour horse crap

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Seems like this game is extremely unbalanced for new players. I think I'm just gonna wait for Dark Fall.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
I'm too lazy to elaborate right now, but no to power hour.

Also: Darkfall is live for quite a while now, afaik.

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Dark fall is in an extended beta test atm. I wish I knew a place with enough traffic to post a poll on whether or not they should bring back a player activated power hour. So that you can start your power hour when you want to.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

it would be nice if there were some puzzles or mysteries in the game :)
But that still does not compensate for the fact that it takes an extreme amount of game play to GM a skill let alone get one to legendary, and most people who are legendary use bots, exploits and recursive macros. So while it might be ok for you to set a bot and leave your pc while "it" levels you up, its not ok for me. I want to see my skill raise substantially not this 1 point per hour horse crap

1.0 per hour is nice gains, and I could probably manage that if I had to train Magery again. When I was at 72.1 skill I equipped an artifact called the Ember Staff and threw Energy Bolts at Lizardmen. Gains were slow at first because my success rate was low, but after a couple points it started going up very easily. If you go the powergamer route and chain-cast Invisibility on yourself while bank sitting then you should be able to manage even better gains.

Frankly, my character is now a little over a month old. It's a 5x GM mage, I've collected 3 artifacts (Pendant of the Magi, Scrapper's Compendium, Totem of the Void), a few other hard-to-get items (Reptile Slayer spellbook and several Treasures of Tokuno minors), and I've also gotten 110's for Eval Int, Magery, Meditation, and Resisting Spells and a 120 in Spellweaving. I further have 3 mil in the bank and about 50k contribution points to the Britan Library (1/16 the way to another really big artifact). I have a small collection of pinks from my frequent runs at Lord Oaks, the last of wich finally earned me the karma title of Illustrious Lord. The only thing I am not yet an active participant in is PvP, but Peerless bosses, Champion Spawns, Doom Gauntlet, and a battery of other easier tasks are all things that I have done.

Finally, if you think you're going to get an experience comparable at all to UO from Darkfall, you're sadly mistaken. Darkfail, as it was more commonly known to my guild from my last MMO, has several horrid design mechanics put into it. While they bill this as a "niche" game to justify such mechanics, the fact is just about everyone will find one that breaks the deal for them.

BorikGL

BorikGL

UOForums Content EditorLover of all things UO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
I must say i think you must be training with the wrong spells, Magery shouldn't take too long.. UOguide has a good guide of what to cast...
warrior skills are very easy to train and most other skills too if you cast the right spells/fight the right thing/make the right item.

I have a sampire i started a while back and in just over a week he is nearly 4xgm with other skills well on the way... and this is all through casual play.

Liffy

Liffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
I remember when power hour was first introduced. My understanding is it was brought in to help more casual players compete with the hardcore, and help them to level up. Frankly all it achieved in that sense was widening the gulf between players. I'd log in a character on my account, do his power hour, log out, log in next character etc.. I'd sometimes do this for 3-4 characters every day. By the time I quit the game power hour had been around for maybe a year or so. I had 2 accts with 7 characters all x6 or 7 gms. Mostly thanks to power hour.

When it was first introduced I resented the way it cheapened my previous achievements. 2 of my first gms in the game where poisoning and alchemy. This cost an absolute crap load of cash by the games standards back then, and weeks of grinding. I was in a large guild on chesapeake and was the only gm poisioner, and one of only 2 gm alchemists in the guild. Enter power hour and every man and his dog had one within a few months.

Lastly there is the anti-social aspect. Power hour had a negative effect on the community because people became obsessed, me included in squeezing every possible gain out of that hour, oblivious to other peoples needs in the community and guild/server events.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA

Absolutely not.

I agree. And I couldn't stand how power hour affected my gameplay. If I felt like grinding away at blacksmithy or something like that and had the time to do it, I couldn't - because going more than an hour was basically a waste of time.

I'd rather be free to do whatever I want, whenever I want.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
not to mention it inevitably creeped later each day you logged on, or that it was kind of the first thing you had to use each day or "lose" it til the next day.

---

I hate UO Crabbing :fishing: :crabby:

UOGuide - The Ultima Online wiki that anyone can edit.

TrackStar

TrackStar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
I've played this game since it came out till around 2004 and just came back recently. Power hour was a terrible game mechanic then and it would be a terrible game mechanic now.

Raising skill is so easy now a days I can't imagine why you could need even more of a boost? Your doing it wrong.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: back, bringing, hour, power