Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Mythic and Bioware Form New RPG/MMO Group

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Today we have important news to share with the community. EA is restructuring its RPG and MMO games development into a new group that includes both Mythic and BioWare. This newly formed team will be led by Ray Muzyka, co-founder and General Manager of BioWare. With this change, Ray becomes Group General Manager of the new RPG/MMO studio group. BioWare’s other co-founder, Greg Zeschuk will become Group Creative Officer for the new RPG/MMO studio group. Rob Denton will step up as General Manager of Mythic and report to Ray. BioWare’s studios remain unchanged and continue to report to Ray.

Mark Jacobs, current General Manager of Mythic will leave EA on June 23, 2009. We thank Mark for his contributions at Mythic and wish him the very best going forward. Mark played a major part in the success of Mythic with his contribution as General Manager and Lead Designer of WAR.

Mythic retains a strong team led by Rob who co-founded Mythic in 1995. Rob played a critical role in the development of Dark Age of Camelot. In his previous role as COO, he was responsible for all day-to-day management of the studio including all development, operations and support.

Please join us in celebrating the union of these two award-winning studios.

More...

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Interesting news!

Wonder if it's just going to be called Mythic/Bioware or adapt a new name altogether?

Hopefully, UO will survive the org jostling and grow with innovation and fresh approaches to new heights.

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
Mythware has a good ring to it. ;P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts

mythware has a good ring to it. ;p

rofl!!!!!!!

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
And while the EM was trying to control the crowd, the Normandy blasted the roof off of British's castle, and Shepard started to #$%& up anyone who dared complain about prizes.

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
And thus the Ultima Trek was born (now play cheesy intro music)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chrissay_Mythic

Chrissay_Mythic

UO Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
I do want to assure all of you that this news does not impact the release of Stygian Abyss and it is business as usual on the UO team.

We are still Mythic and will remain Mythic.

Chrissay "Adida" Zeeman

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
w3rd!

Certainly hoped not, SA has been a few years now in the making.

I do want to assure all of you that this news does not impact the release of Stygian Abyss and it is business as usual on the UO team.

We are still Mythic and will remain Mythic.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Lets just steal the Halo theme from Microsoft. It makes anything sound epic.

California Rasin

California Rasin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Interesting news. I wonder what this means for the future of UO?

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
As much as I love Bioware games and drooled over the new Star Wars Old Repulic Cinematic Trailer, I'm not entirely sure this is good news for UO...

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I understand where you're coming from, but gotta hope that any change will be change for the better.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
What concerns me is Jacobs leaving
According to him, he was the one who told EA to keep UO running, after they wanted to shut it down.
With him leaving, I hope EA doesn't revisit that idea.

Sanya Weathers' commented on the examiner.com site

Mythic Entertainment studio head, Mark Jacobs, has left the building.

The lead designer of Warhammer Online and EA have mutually agreed to separate.

The official website will have an announcement soon, and I will update this post accordingly.

I unfortunately am unable to give my usual color commentary, because at Mark's request, Mythic and I mutually agreed to separate several years ago.

MegaMongbat

MegaMongbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
For some reasons, these reports generally don't sit well with me.

Call me a conspiracy-theory-guy, but it usually means something bigger is going on and what we're being told is usually some political mumble.

So yeah, gotta side with Adam on this one and keep my fingers crossed they won't scrap our beloved UO.
(ecspecially since we received a "don't worry, everything is ok"-post too, something with which most companies normally don't bother unless the exact opposite is meant)

Chrissay_Mythic

Chrissay_Mythic

UO Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
Honestly there's really nothing to worry about with the Mythic Studio. I do understand why you guys are worried. We aren't moving anywhere and we aren't changing names.

It's really for the positive for UO and the other Mythic games as we are now in a clearly defined group under the EA umbrella. Prior to the change we were in the same classification as other EA non sports titles. Now we have a leadership that is dedicated to the MMO and RPG communities.

Chrissay "Adida" Zeeman

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

"I want to do bad things to you."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
I would like to think that this means good things for UO (I've always loved Bioware), but I can't say this news sits too well with me. I'm hoping Jacobs left on a positive note.

I know this has been said before, but it would be neat to see access to Ultima Online, Star Wars, Warhammer Online, and Dark Age packaged togeather like Station Sony and what have you.

Posted Image

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
One thing which would be nice to see again, is a "State of UO" document, similiar to how we used to get them
Least then we could get an idea of the UO teams long term goals for UO.
Might also offer some reassurance to those who are concerned.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
other games have done that - something of a 'whats coming in the next 6 months' thing - and it's worked well.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yea, it worked well with UO to, from memory
It reassured people that UO was being actively worked on and there were long term plans
I don't remember the last time we actually heard from the UO producer (not to mention we have an overdue interview with him, About 2? years and waiting! hehe)

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts

One thing which would be nice to see again, is a "State of UO" document, similiar to how we used to get them.

Couldn't agree more, it's reassuring to know that there is a plan and that progress is being made on it instead of sudden changes that seem to come out of nowhere. Factions were due for some love, and some changes for it suddenly came to fruition late last year, but then again so many other areas need some love too.

At this point, I think the only thing most all UO players know is that Stygian Abyss is coming out in a few months but no idea about anything else or anything beyond that. This is not to say that SA won't be exciting to explore and try out, but what is UO striving towards for between SA the end of the year? A new cooperative collection? Another pvp balance pass? 11th Anniv stuff before the 12th arrives?

We're halfway through 2009 and there's been hardly anything compared to what a great year of new content and bug fixes that 2008 was. There has only been one regular Publish this year.