Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Stygian Abyss Client

- - - - - abyss client stygian stygian abyss

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'd rather it be late, that way more bugs can be squashed and polish/features added.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

umm... Summer has barely over a month left

Actually, Summer started barely over a month ago. It goes through most of September.

I think they're shooting for a 12th anniversary release, which could probably be considered fashionably late if they're saying it'll be released in Summer. I think that'd be mildly silly. Since they're doing a digital-only release for a rather obscure game, I'm guessing they want to avoid competing with Fall games to get the best bang for their buck. If that's their intention, the release may get pushed back to Winter if they can't get it launched by the 12th anniversary.

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Actually, Summer started barely over a month ago. It goes through most of September.

Yup, summer technically ends September 22 in most parts of the northern hemisphere (there are places in the world where it's winter right now). :P

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
And to clarify the only thing SA in open beta is the client, none of the expansion is visible. Nor is the 2d client that will work with that expansion.

I'd bet on the 12th anniversary. But I think it hinges on how the open beta of the client is moving along.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Zanwe

Zanwe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

umm... Summer has barely over a month left

lol a quite cynical comment popped into my head after reading this. I used to be a optimistic person lol.

.....they will wait for the last minute last day of summer (equinox or calendar??) and then send out the announcement.....

lol sony ruined me for mmo news

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

lol a quite cynical comment popped into my head after reading this. I used to be a optimistic person lol.

.....they will wait for the last minute last day of summer (equinox or calendar??) and then send out the announcement.....

lol sony ruined me for mmo news

Welcome to UOForums Zanwe!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Depends. For business, the year is split into 4 equal quarters.

Q1 (Winter) Jan-Mar.
Q2 (Spring) Apr-Jun
Q3 (Summer) Jul-Sep
Q4 (Fall) Oct-Dec.

Q4 is also what is implied when they say holiday release.

Some companies also end their Q4/start Q1 in march, as its easier to manage year end bookkeeping when it doesnt fall during the christmas/new years week. But this doesnt affect product releases.

UnStopable

UnStopable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
all im saying is if i cant a 2D client with SA im gonna close my UO account and call it quits. The 2D is what makes UO different from every other game out there. Scripters exploiters dont bother me if they dont like to do it the hard way thats there choice doesnt stop me from doing my peerless/champ/doom/ and dungeon hunts. Would be a shame to watch UO fall to such a horrible look, from people i have asked they said the would quit UO if there wasnt a 2D client. So the way i see it it may be a lose of alot of customers. Just my opinion though.
Archer Pally Samurai, I rape event/champ spawns =)

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
get me a dead horse. And a beating stick.

You CAN use 2D with SA.

UnStopable

UnStopable

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

You CAN use 2D with SA.

greatest thing ive heard all day thank you so much
Archer Pally Samurai, I rape event/champ spawns =)

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

all im saying is if i cant a 2D client with SA im gonna close my UO account and call it quits. The 2D is what makes UO different from every other game out there. Scripters exploiters dont bother me if they dont like to do it the hard way thats there choice doesnt stop me from doing my peerless/champ/doom/ and dungeon hunts. Would be a shame to watch UO fall to such a horrible look, from people i have asked they said the would quit UO if there wasnt a 2D client. So the way i see it it may be a lose of alot of customers. Just my opinion though.

This is so shallow and wrong I don't know where to begin.

Scripters actually do stop people from doing things, given that they're taking all the stealables worth anything, they're AFK training their skills which violates the CoC, they're auto-looting event items from corpses, and they're further killing the UO economy by farming gold and then selling it to anyone with a paypal account. Speed hackers also really do affect the game by having a serious advantage of mobility in PvP, one of UO's REAL classic trademarks.

Further, bad graphics aren't the ultimate defining feature that sets UO apart from other MMOs. The method of character development that UO employs is 100% unique to UO, as is the ability to have a house. In very few other MMOs is it possible to make a merchant-style character as opposed to an adventurer that runs around in dungeons. Further, I've yet to see a single MMO that has EMs. Sure there are some generic events for big holidays on almost all of the games, but there's nothing like the EM system in place now nor even anything like the Warriors of Destiny event cycle that's been going on.

Now, I'm not in favor of killing the 2D client right now, but it's days are numbered and it will eventually HAVE to go. If you aren't going to play UO because you can't stand losing your precious 2D client, then quit now. Seriously. By the time the 2D client really does kick it, you'll be back and willing to play the game with a new graphics client. UO is a very unique thing, and threatening to leave it because of attempts to grow the playerbase is inane.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
"PvP is one of UOs classic trademarks". Correction, it WAS one of their classic trademarks. Unfortunately, it's a cesspit of cheating, now.

Oh I know, the PvP community is a cynical bunch and theyll go on and on about how Trammel killed it. While that may be partially true, I think that Felucca would have killed UO if they didnt split the shards. MMOs do not prosper when their new players are regularly killed off by veterans in an unwinnable fight, heh.

I think they should have gone with server types, where on a PvP server, Tram and Fel were both PvP facets, and on a PvE server, both facets would be trammel rules for non-faction members.

If a large percentage of a server's active PvPers in WAR or WoW used a speedhack, or could break a mechanic to steal the target's items - how long do you think they'd wait to fix the bug? Certainly not years, as is the case with UO. No, I think if I want my fix, i'll hit up some PVMP in Lotro, or reactivate WAR.

Bring on the h8. I'll be in trammel somewhere. :)

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

"PvP is one of UOs classic trademarks". Correction, it WAS one of their classic trademarks. Unfortunately, it's a cesspit of cheating, now.

Very true. This is actually another reason to ditch the 2D client.

That said, the only dedicated PvP server should be Siege, and there shouldn't be a pure PvE server. I don't like the idea of some kinda UO carebearland, especially since that means that it'll be full of 12-year olds that I won't be able to kill for trash talking.

Gringo

Gringo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Scripters actually do stop people from doing things, given that they're taking all the stealables worth anything, they're AFK training their skills which violates the CoC, they're auto-looting event items from corpses, and they're further killing the UO economy by farming gold and then selling it to anyone with a paypal account. Speed hackers also really do affect the game by having a serious advantage of mobility in PvP, one of UO's REAL classic trademarks.

Further, bad graphics aren't the ultimate defining feature that sets UO apart from other MMOs. The method of character development that UO employs is 100% unique to UO, as is the ability to have a house. In very few other MMOs is it possible to make a merchant-style character as opposed to an adventurer that runs around in dungeons. Further, I've yet to see a single MMO that has EMs. Sure there are some generic events for big holidays on almost all of the games, but there's nothing like the EM system in place now nor even anything like the Warriors of Destiny event cycle that's been going on.

Now, I'm not in favor of killing the 2D client right now, but it's days are numbered and it will eventually HAVE to go. If you aren't going to play UO because you can't stand losing your precious 2D client, then quit now. Seriously. By the time the 2D client really does kick it, you'll be back and willing to play the game with a new graphics client. UO is a very unique thing, and threatening to leave it because of attempts to grow the playerbase is inane.

I fully agree. Anyone who wishes to adopt the 'when 2d goes I go' attitude may as well get it over with and spare the rest of the community the ultimatums.

2d in its current forms restricts UO in many ways, both the game itself in terms of abusive scripting, duping etc. and in regards to the new client, limiting it from reaching its full potential and deviating resources that could be used/spent on developing it further.

That being said, I dont think they'll part with the 2d client for quite some time. They will have to allow time for the less stubborn but still devoted 2d players to adjust to the new client.

Vinzone

Vinzone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Very true. This is actually another reason to ditch the 2D client.

That said, the only dedicated PvP server should be Siege, and there shouldn't be a pure PvE server. I don't like the idea of some kinda UO carebearland, especially since that means that it'll be full of 12-year olds that I won't be able to kill for trash talking.

I wouldn't mind a PvP and PvE servers but PvE servers should be how current servers are safe in Tramm, PvP in Fel while PvP servers should be PvP everywhere but guarded towns.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

I wouldn't mind a PvP and PvE servers but PvE servers should be how current servers are safe in Tramm, PvP in Fel while PvP servers should be PvP everywhere but guarded towns.

That's Siege Ruleset, IMO.

Hanibal

Hanibal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Agreed! The graphics have little to do with the game itself. In fact, all the old 2d style graphics do is to keep new people from playing the game. Personally, I'd like to see the game compete with WoW and all the clones. If this game was a true 3D game like Wow, the game play (meaning all the unique features mentioned above) would likely suck the life out of those other games, or at least put a serious dent in it. If EA had remade UO in this style, instead of making Warhammer...

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Closest is Star Wars Galaxies. (well, the way it used to be...)

You had a set number of skills you could train, and gained the XP used to train them by using them. It also had non-instanced housing.

It has since switched to a level based system, so this no longer applies.

No game has ever done the amount of customization that Age of Shadows gave UO however.

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
Let's not bash any of the clients. Shall we just be glad the game has been around so damn long and forget our concerns about how good it should look???
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: abyss, client, stygian, stygian abyss