Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Stygian Abyss Client

- - - - - abyss client stygian stygian abyss

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Yes but you must work much harder to write a WoW script :) With UO it requires almost no effort and they dont usually get caught.

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
You don't even need to write them, just copy them from websites dedicated to UO scripting...

Just yesterday I was searching for tailor bod related stuff and the first 5 google hits brought me to scripting sites with detailed scripts for automated turning in bods and other forbidden stuff.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Yes but you must work much harder to write a WoW script :) With UO it requires almost no effort and they dont usually get caught.

It's very hard to write a *bad* script for WoW. It's virtually impossible to write a good one. The most common WoW script that I've seen (leveling scripts) just have the character run around in the wild and kill things. They die very often and are almost incapable of doing quests, making it impossible to gain XP with anywhere near the efficiency of an active player following a leveling guide. Furthermore, they can't really react well to adds which makes them die even more often at higher level areas since monster density increases as you progress through the game.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Its also terribly funny when you see one run off the edge of the world in outland :)

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Its also terribly funny when you see one run off the edge of the world in outland :)

Oh I almost wish I stuck around long enough to see that.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
The inherent mechanics in some of the outland zones were very bad for scripters. The zones didnt all have solid sides - scripts are designed to turn when they can't continue forward...so they just ran off the edge into oblivion.

Also the first zone, Hellfire Peninsula - had giant walking fel robots that would smash a player in 3 hits. Easy to avoid...if you're actually playing, not scripting :)

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

The inherent mechanics in some of the outland zones were very bad for scripters. The zones didnt all have solid sides - scripts are designed to turn when they can't continue forward...so they just ran off the edge into oblivion.

Also the first zone, Hellfire Peninsula - had giant walking fel robots that would smash a player in 3 hits. Easy to avoid...if you're actually playing, not scripting :)

Easy to avoid if you have a decent connection, but if your game is loading slowly...

Brom

Brom

Introverted Barbarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

I want a 2.5d client that FEELS like the 2d client. The plain and simple reason I don't use KR is the wonky targeting mechanics and extremely frustrating method of bringing up context menus.

Bingo! My feelings exactly!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chrissay_Mythic

Chrissay_Mythic

UO Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

I want a 2.5d client that FEELS like the 2d client. The plain and simple reason I don't use KR is the wonky targeting mechanics and extremely frustrating method of bringing up context menus.

*Makes a note* :)

Chrissay "Adida" Zeeman

Lamtheb

Lamtheb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Chrissay while you are at it, can you note that I want a 2D client, with the feel of the 3D client? but with the 2D targeting mechanics noted above. :) Thanks!

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Seriously guys - they can't build a personal client for everyone...

All I would wish for is that all those thing would be optional, the word art, the character art, the targeting, etc. Just make a switch in the option so one can choose between KR style and legacy style. For some things this already exists, for others it doesn't. (I want my KR art back! ;))

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
Merion, I think the question. I would liked answered is why EAMythic feels the need to make UO 3D? I have been asking this since the Third Dawn Beta. Even with its dated graphics, UO has outlasted many games with better graphics that have since closed shop. Why not just super tweak the 2D client? There was a thread at another forum which even had pictures of Sarrakka (spelling?) redoing the 2D graphics.

I will download and try this new client like I did with Third Dawn and Kingdom Reborn, and give it a shot, stills seems to be a waste of money to this p(l)ayer. Maybe if UO was going to catch WoW in subscribers, we could use a new client. UO is a niche game, has been for quite sometime. If I wanted flashy graphics I would have left years ago. The depth of the gameplay keeps me here.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
If I remember correctly, the non-2d client (take your pick) has always been more about making the game easier to upgrade with new content.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Gringo

Gringo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
I've found the new client to be great so far. Much nicer to look at and swifter movement, the enviroment blends in really nicely and creates an effect (when zoomed out) which is reminiscent of Diablo 2.

The negatives are simply due to the fact it's still in beta, it crashes every now and then and items have the tendacy to disappear when in your backpack, a few other minor issues also exist.

I can easily see myself moving over to this client, the interface is custimizable and the macros work great.

Anyone that says that SA is a laggy client needs to buy a new PC, simply as.. Compared to the original KR, it has been very successfully optimised, they can only go so far before the fault is on you and your out dated machine. I personally have not suffered a single drop of lag and I have it on max resolution with all the settings as high as possible (which isn't that very considering it can't go to 1900x1200) and completely zoomed out.

My only problem is it is due to very personal minor things. I believe the dragons to be too small and the houses could do with a little more work. That being said I think they've gone a great job with it.

Zal

Zal

Grandmaster Samurai

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

and items have the tendacy to dissapear when in your backpack

That sounds like a serious issue not a minor one.. Unless the items re-appear?

I'd hate for a million dollar check to just vanish in my backpack due to a bug. :D

Gringo

Gringo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Hehe, well they disappear in the sense that you can no longer see them, but if you drag over the area where you believe them to be, the description pops up and they are usable. So basically, for some reason the graphics on the items don't seem to load even though the item is still there... I believe they are very much aware of it though and are working to fix it.

Gringo

Gringo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
They also reappear once you log out and in again.

Sheltem

Sheltem

The Gentle Tamer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
when will is be released?
Sheltem

Posted Image

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

when will is be released?

As quoted here

We hope you’ll take a look, and more importantly, use it as a lens for future adventures as we open up the Stygian Abyss coming this Summer!

EA are hoping for this Summer .No official release date as yet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hanibal

Hanibal

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

As quoted here

EA are hoping for this Summer .No official release date as yet.

umm... Summer has barely over a month left

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: abyss, client, stygian, stygian abyss