Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Stygian Abyss Client

- - - - - abyss client stygian stygian abyss

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
I've been thinking, they've made so many clients why are they making a new one for Stygian Abyss? I thought Kingdom Reborn was the all singing all dancing client? They must be spending a fortune on new artwork, coding time etc?

What's the difference between the new client and KR? Personally I don't like the KR client as its very blury and ugly.

Why don't they just give us a better 2d client which supports at least 1024 x 768 and has more than 10fps :)

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
The classic 2D client is dated to 1996/7, it's absolutely ancient. The time it takes to create new content for 2D vs KR is orders of factor more. The screenshots from the 2D client are a handicap when it comes to marketing and attracting new players. Many java app browser-based game graphics are better than it. Many players have been asking for something newer for years.

All those reasons I just listed are just the tip of the iceberg of why there needs to be a new client.

They tried creating the 3rd Dawn client. It was buggy and hideous to gaze upon.

They scrapped it and started over with the KR client. It looked better than 3rd Dawn, but many people still didn't like it and the adoption/transition rate was low. The devs have alluded to it being rushed out the door before completion.

Once again, they scrapped it, or at least tore the body panels off to be replaced, redid the interior, put on a turbo-charger, gave it satellite radio receiver instead of a CD player and gave it a nice set of tires. Theyre giving it a final coat of paint before they roll it out at the end of the summer.

Why don't they just give us a better 2d client which supports at least 1024 x 768 and has more than 10fps

Short of going to a first-person 3D client, theyre throwing everything they got at it.

Do you want UO to look like WoW? I'm not asking that in a condescending way, just asking if that's what you'd prefer to better understand what you'd like to see.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Basically this is an attempt to improve the "old" KR client. Adding a lot more functionality to it. There's been a number of posts about it on various forums.

The 2d client is also under renovation for the SA expansion.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Basically this is an attempt to improve the "old" KR client. Adding a lot more functionality to it. There's been a number of posts about it on various forums.

The 2d client is also under renovation for the SA expansion.

I want a 2.5d client that FEELS like the 2d client. The plain and simple reason I don't use KR is the wonky targeting mechanics and extremely frustrating method of bringing up context menus.

couponfork

couponfork

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I personally love the 2D client. I think it gives UO a unique feel.

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

"I want to do bad things to you."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
It also doesn't help that a fully functional Kingdom Reborn or Stygian Abyss Client (both using the same Gamebyro Engine) is essentially incompatable with 2D.

Incompatable? Yes. So long as we have to have 2D and KR/SA running on the same servers, they cannot optimize the Gamebyro Engine in the ways that it was meant to perform (without providing KR/SA players an unfair advantage). So long as we are stuck with the old client, they will never be able to abolish the tile system and impliment naval and siege warfare. So long as we're stuck with it, developing landscape that should take hours will continue to take days. Also, they won't be able to develop and impliment art that they cannot put in 2D; meaning bye-bye hooded cloaks.

I love the 2D Client. If you were to compare current 2D with current KR, I would choose current 2D hands down. But I also recognize that at some point, if I want to still have a game to play five and ten years down the line, they are going to need to make it marketable to new players.

Posted Image

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Be sure to give the SA client a fair chance when it's released.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
We will never get rid of scripters and exploiters unless we get rid of our 2D client.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

We will never get rid of scripters and exploiters unless we get rid of our 2D client.

Sad truth, but before we can get rid of the 2d client we need to make sure the client that replaces it won't be made of suck, otherwise scripters and exploiters will be the least of our problems.

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
I don't mind change providing its better. As many of you have stated KR was disappointing and they keep failing at 3D clients but its how they predict they will get new players and its right in my opinion.

I get your point about 2d restricting the client thats just a bummer.

I would love a 3d/2d client to look at least as good as Titan Quest below:

Attached Thumbnails

• titanquest1.jpg
  • titan-quest-20050509021835173.jpg
  • titan_quest_immortal_throne_003.jpg

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
Sadly can't talk about the SA client since I'm on beta now. But I will consider recording video to compare... then again.... damn! My HDs are maxed out as it is. :(

But anyway, because Third Dawn (the best of the "3D clients") & KR have gotten a bad wrap from the 2D centric majority, EA is trying something new I think with the newer client. Again, I can't talk about the client yet. I will say I have SEVERAL qualms with it, but not allowed to say what.

EDIT: NDAs stink but atleast I get to play it early...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
People should put past prejudices aside and give the SA client a fresh and fair shake. Yes, perhaps it's father KR was much hated and despised across the lands, but SA is it's own, umm, thing? beast? baby? man? Whatever, you know what I mean.

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

I hate to disagree with you but getting rid of 2D will only slow them down a little but there will always be scripters as long as there is something to be gained by it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nok

Nok

Founder/Publisher of GameXbar

• Members
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

getting rid of 2D will only slow them down a little but there will always be scripters as long as there is something to be gained by it.

True. But it is the 2D server code not the 2D client that keeps the devs from doing anymore against scripters than they can now.

Posted Image
GameXbar: DAoC - LOTRO - MMO - UO - WAR - WoW

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
They will try to find a way, sure - but its just incredibly easy with the 2D client/server as it is now.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
2D itself is what stops UO from progressing forward, apparently.
I can understand that, given how antiquated the 2D client is and how many resources are needed to update it, especially regarding art/animation.

buffy386

buffy386

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah i liked the look of kingdom reborn but i hated the interface if they would make the 3d client usable exactly like the 2d client then i would use it

Warrior of Time

Warrior of Time

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I hate to disagree with you but getting rid of 2D will only slow them down a little but there will always be scripters as long as there is something to be gained by it.

That may be true, but more work to get less payoff could slow it down more than most realize. People that write the scripts do it because of the challenges. With no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow why look for one.
Jesus the king of kings is coming

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

That may be true, but more work to get less payoff could slow it down more than most realize. People that write the scripts do it because of the challenges. With no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow why look for one.

You answered your own question. It's all about the challenge.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
I didn't think scripters was the main issue, wow is completely 3d and that still has scripters / bots? unless your talking of something else?

I am very dissapointed of the lack of information given to none beta testers at the minute. NDA sucks but I know its there to not scare off players before final release.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: abyss, client, stygian, stygian abyss