Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

I want to come back, but this isn't the same game...

- - - - - back game

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I played UO for about 3yrs from 1998-2001, and again right about the time people were getting cable modems and chasing down dial-ups like mad.
I played WoW for about 4 months recently and then when I reached the top I realized that the game was completely materialistic. I got the twilight vanquisher title b4 Ulduar came out, and then decided to quit because it was much more frustrating than it was rewarding.
To be honest I came back to this game because I missed having a thief, and being able to ride my tamed creatures. I missed waiting for people to die in dungeons and looting their corpses. Most of all I missed stealing off of other players. No other game has ever allowed stealing valuable items off of other players, and it turns out neither does this one anymore.
What is this item insurance bull crap?! Ok, I understand it, but why is it only for murderers to get rich and a pacifier for blues? Talk about destroying an entire template! My theif is nothing more than a treasure hunter now, and whats worse is that people are farming the "treasure" (useless, meaningless house decor) that they are almost giving it away.
I read that there will be or are monsters to steal from, and yeah well thats nice. I'm a theif! I want to steal from guards, banks, players. I want to run heists on town centers and sneak away. or at least some of the action on that item insurance. I mean 600g a pop aint all that bad. In fact I think that legendary theives should be able to steal insured items at a decreased chance from normal items. or better yet just be able to steal them period. Item insurance should only apply to player deaths. If you don't want to risk losing the item don't bring it. this game takes place in the dark ages, why not introduce homeowners insurance as well?

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Personally I think Item insurance should stay, but it needs overhauling completely

Instead of a paltry 600gp per item, the cost should reflect the items value, so base it on the number of properties the item has (to keep it simpler), or based it on that, plus the intensities.

As for Felucca, I think it should either be removed entirely, or cost X times much more to insure.
OR, have a chance at being stolen, depending on the thiefs skill level.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
A lot in the world has changed since 2001. Housing and house decoration is a large part of the uniqueness of UO.

If your looking for no insurance and more challenge, You should be playing on Siege Perilous, you can steal your hearts desires.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

CheesePlant

CheesePlant

Won this title in a raffle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
I understand why you are upset but you must see why its in the game, people don't like spending weeks / years getting expensive armour only to lose it to 2 pks. This game is very user friendly and I personally enjoy the fact I can answer the phone, or do something and not killed by a pker and waste my time.

I am on a PVP server in wow and it frustrates the hell out of me when I am waiting at an instance and a level 80 person kills me in 1 hit (im level 62).

I have come to terms with the friendly style of play. I guess its something you'll have to get used to or go join the pkers at the champ spawns. It appears the thief has been sidelined, I feel sorry that you now have to be a treasure hunter or have to steal from NPCs.

To me UO is a great roleplaying game, I don't play it for any other reason than to RP.

Sorry your not having too much fun :(

EDIT:

Oooh I never knew siege had a no insurance policy, that would be fun for you.

chargar42

chargar42

&a mp; a mp; a mp; q uot ; Can Set Custo

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
How long has it been since insurance has been in effect? 6-7-8 yrs?...And yet we still go thru the same song and dance. Insurance is in...it wont leave, go to Siege with no insurance, go to Fel or Fel champ spawns and be a thief. It seems everyday there is more than one post about the insurance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect love sometimes does not come until the first grandchild.

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
point me to these posts please!

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Its more than just insurance... Before insurance, the armor of choice came from a player crafter, not from rare drops or time limited events. Thus insurance wasnt worth it - you could just mine yourself some more armor. The difference between iron and valorite wasnt as big as the gap between GM crafted armor/weapons and runics and artis is today.

Removing insurance wont bring back old style gameplay, it will just make trammies quit the game.

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I just think that this game supports an addictive style of play. It takes at least a month to be able to even attempt to get anything of value. If it takes you less time then you are playing way too much. Curse EA for ruining this game, curse them for putting in item insurance and taking out power hour! but then again it was always meant to be this way wasn't it? I've been taming dragons for at least an hour and I've only gone up .01 wtf?

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

I just think that this game supports an addictive style of play. It takes at least a month to be able to even attempt to get anything of value. If it takes you less time then you are playing way too much. Curse EA for ruining this game, curse them for putting in item insurance and taking out power hour! but then again it was always meant to be this way wasn't it? I've been taming dragons for at least an hour and I've only gone up .01 wtf?

also dragons still kill you right after taming again wtf? How am I supposed to come back to this game if the simple stuff isn't even fixed

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
tamings just a stupid hard skill to gain...

And I dont fault EA. Most of the changes you talk about they were forced to do to remain competitive in the MMO market. (the big one being turning uo into an item based game)

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Where are the real forums where the devs post?

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
There are no official forums. Devs post on several fansites as listed on the official fansite page, including this one.

They have said that they arent interested in changing item insurance in the forseeable future however.

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
wait, were are the real forums where the developers of the game read and post?
Also if you thing EA is having any trouble making money then you are extremely in the dark. just last year their revenue for games was $3.87 billion. Enough to fix all the bugs in this game imo. they had over 27 titles that sold over 1 million copies as well. It just seems like MMOs are "crap stacking" trying to make the game more challenging and competitive and thus more addictive. Instead of what games are meant to be and thats fun plain and simple. there used to be a level of intimacy between players because the game was so cutting edge players had no other choice now that its dumbed down to the level of other MMOs people just ignore you or think you are trying to scam them when you say hi.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
There are no official EA forums for UO, only the hidden ones for Beta/Alpha testing of expansions/games.
They occasionaly post here, but most of the time it's on Stratics.

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok thanks

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
It mystifies me when people bring up the past and are still mourning it. That crap was almost a decade ago, they need to get over it already or go to Siege.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
"real forums"? Kinda insulting really. This site have been around for what 8 years?

Anything is addicting if your personality is open to it.

Let me get this straight, game companies are "trying to make the game more challenging and competitive and thus more addictive. Instead of what games are meant to be and thats fun plain and simple." Yet...".... now that its dumbed down to the level of other MMOs"

How does "more competitive and challenging" equate to "dumbed down"?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts

wait, were are the real forums where the developers of the game read and post?

The official forums were done away with, but the devs often visit several fan-run forums.

Also if you thing EA is having any trouble making money then you are extremely in the dark. just last year their revenue for games was $3.87 billion. Enough to fix all the bugs in this game imo. they had over 27 titles that sold over 1 million copies as well.

Revenue does not equal profit. Profit is revenue minus costs. With sales dropping over the past year, EA has had to lay off people and maybe even cancel a few titles. Well, that's just life and part of the business cycle. As for fixing bugs, lots of bugs do get fixed. However, UO's dev team is not 1,000 people strong, I'm sure it's a tiny, tiny fraction of that. UO is not a huge moneymaker that can support staffing in the hundreds just for it. If that's what floats your boat, there's always WoW.

It just seems like MMOs are "crap stacking" trying to make the game more challenging and competitive and thus more addictive. Instead of what games are meant to be and thats fun plain and simple. there used to be a level of intimacy between players because the game was so cutting edge players had no other choice now that its dumbed down to the level of other MMOs people just ignore you or think you are trying to scam them when you say hi.

That's entirely a matter of personal preference on your part. Yahoo and Pogo have hundreds of fun plain and simple games like Checkers, WordTwist and Hearts. Ok, bit of an extreme example, but MMO's run the gamut and *you* have to find the one that suits you best to the point you *want* to fork over $15/month to them. In the end, game companies shoot for their target market with the goal of making money, they are businesses and not charities after all.

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well yeah, I mean the game when it came out was not about all this player vs player combat crap, that is why it wasn't so important that it be balanced. It was about being a craftsman or a merchant in a world full of robbers and bandits. When the bandits grew to cumbersome to the working classes they would rise up, band together and beat the bandits and gankers into submission. so yea its dumbed down. I would go to siege but I have heard that skill gains are cut in half on siege and you can only have one char on that shard. which to me sounds like a rip off

humbletheif

humbletheif

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Also I'm not trying to be insulting just it seems this game has always been frustrating to reach the developers, before or during any huge changes such as item insurance and power hour removal. I was 14 when I started playing and it was insanely frustrating to post back then, especially when only 2/3 of the stratics site was ever working at one time

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: back, game