Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

ultima Online - new player

- - - - - online player ultima

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

freddyfeelgood

freddyfeelgood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone. I just played UO for the first time. Just played a couple of hours so far but I must say im having great fun.

Ive been playing mmo's for about 8 years, mostly the more hardcore games like Anarchy Online and Everquest1, and when I play im strictly PVE'ing. When I started playing I noticed a message saying something about I will not be attack by other players for 40 more hours, so I have a few questions.

1) Apparently im on a PVP server, but I couldnt see any servers who said PVE. Do they exist?

2) Are there any safe places/zones that i cant be PK'ed in?

3) When I get killed (PVP), do I lose XP and/or gear?

4) Can I be killed by a much higher level player or only players within a certain level range?

5) If im not into PVP, can I still enjoy UO?

Thanks in advance for any answers :D

I play on the Drachenfels server btw.

-Freddy

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
1. All servers have PvP zones. This zone is known as Felucca and can be recognized by your cursor being a silver hand instead of a gold one. You can enter this area through any stationary moongate or by entering a player made gate which is colored red.

2. Outside of Felucca (thus Trammel, Tokuno, Ilshenar and Malas) you can not be attacked unless you are in the same guild or a warring guild as the person who attacks you.

3. When you get killed, everything you have stays on your corpse unless the item is insured. (link to a description of insurance) Make sure everything valuable is insured and that your auto-renew insurance is on.

4. If you choose to enter Felucca, anyone can kill anyone else.

5. If you aren't into PvP, you can definitely enjoy UO. Just avoid Felucca until such a time as you feel you're ready for PvP (which could be never).

Welcome aboard!

freddyfeelgood

freddyfeelgood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks alot for your reply Farsight!

Looks like UO is my new game then :)

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,647 posts
Welcome to UO! What shard do you play?

Thumper

Thumper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

I play on the Drachenfels server btw.

-Freddy

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Welcome to UO and especially welcome to Drachenfels!

If you need some help ingame, just send me a pm or lookout for people with the guild tag [SF] and mention my name to them. They will help you!

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Oooh you picked a good server for this site. Quite a few on the forums, and they do both PvE and PvP :)

uobuoy

uobuoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

...3. When you get killed, everything you have stays on your corpse unless the item is insured. (link to a description of insurance) Make sure everything valuable is insured and that your auto-renew insurance is on.

Also make sure you keep enough gold (600 gp per item) in your bank to cover the auto-renew or else some items will not renew.

freddyfeelgood

freddyfeelgood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you all for the welcomes and help.

Seems i chose the right server to play on :)

Merion: Will try to send you a PM next time im online, would be great to have someone to ask my questions before i find a guild.

Uobuoy: So thats where all my money went? I guess 600gp is nothing to a veteran, but to a new player its 10-12 kills each item i want to insure. insurance at my stage cant be that important tho. Cheaper to just buy new stuff.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
That's true, assuming you know where to buy stuff from players so cheaply.

It's pretty easy on Europa (one of my home shards) to find a suit with all the proper resists and no other benifits for less than insurance costs, but I haven't been able to find such a place on Drachenfels. Of course, my bank account there shot up so quickly (powergamed a character there) that it wasn't an issue for very long at all. And the best thing about Drachenfels is that you can buy high end gear for relatively few gold coins as well. That's something you couldn't do on Europa or Atlantic.

Anyhow, once you get used to it, your bank account will grow pretty quickly. Until then, insurance can be a bit counter-productive. It's still a good idea to get used to insuring everything, so you don't forget when you start collecting the valuable items.

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
welcome

freddyfeelgood

freddyfeelgood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Been playing abit more today.

Managed to die immediately when I zoned to Magincia. Little did I know that this was a far to dangerous place for me to be. But I am the curious guy so I had to try attack one of those spirits by the moongate. Ofcourse I died, and I had a massive problem figuring out how to get back to life. No ressurection places or anything. So first i joined all the channels that i thought might contain people , help , general , drachenfels etc. etc. Nobody there..

Then I called for a GM (omg im a nobb haha).. 11 in front of me in line ... Cant wait for that..

Eventually I found some kind of portal down south that teleported me to another place and I got back to life. Then 10 mins of walking back to Magincia. Ofcourse all my stuff were gone when I got back again to check my corpse......and ofcourse I died again.

Must say I have had a hard time getting any help ingame. Or to find people at all. But im not giving up..

I would love to join a guild on the Drachenfels server. Not a superhardcore guild, but a friendly guild consisting of casual gamers that can give me a kickstart into the game.

Feel free to send me a tell ingame. My chars name is Fredda

PS: Tried to send you a tell Merion, but you were offline.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
EVERYONE who is new or returns to UO dies at the magincia gate :(

They really need to make that intro quest in KR doable in 2D. It explains the death mechanic and all that.

I have a character on drachs that I play off and on..unfortunately the name wouldnt be very useful... I will say hi if I see you though.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
If you work on the Virtue of Sacrifice, eventually you will attain the ability to resurrect yourself, up to three times a week.

Mathena

Mathena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

EVERYONE who is new or returns to UO dies at the magincia gate :(

They really need to make that intro quest in KR doable in 2D. It explains the death mechanic and all that.

I have a character on drachs that I play off and on..unfortunately the name wouldnt be very useful... I will say hi if I see you though.

You have a jamie......don't you?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
yeah. thats why the name wouldn't help at all :)

Mathena

Mathena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

yeah. thats why the name wouldn't help at all :)

hehe....that's okay. I have 2. One blue, one red :o
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

DAFT1

DAFT1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
I haven't been on in ages but I could help you out over there. are you in haven or Luna? pm me and I'll meet up with you.

Riboflavin

Riboflavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
As nice as Drachenfels might be... you could take also a look at Europa. The server is in the same timezone as Drachenfels. So, if DF suits your play time Europa should do as well. Europa is, afaik, more populated as DF. So, you might find some people faster then on DF ;).
There are also plenty of guilds here. All kind of, ranging from hardcore RP and PvP to casual gaming guilds.
Some self-advertisment ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Honestly, i'd go for Europa. It is 'the' RP server in UO right now. Their EM is great, and their guilds work together and play off of each other to form some really compelling storylines.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: online, player, ultima