Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Melisande, Matriarch of the Blighted Grove.

blighted grove matriarch melisande

14 replies to this topic

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I am writing this article, but a lot of the info I have is from experiences running with my fellow alliance members - One Circle, One Soul, on Catskills.

Target Info:
Melisande is the peerless boss of the Blighted Grove. Her lair is the upper branches of the tree in which the dungeon is located.

Nickname: "Mel" or "Lady Mel"

Slayer: Fey. The only weapon to have this property is the pixie swatter. Melee is not suggested unless you have a friend crosshealing.

Entrance Requirements: you must enter the dungeon (using a bone machete) and you must complete the quest from the frightened dryad. Exchange your quest reward in the nearby basket for the dryad's curse, which is your key. Double click and your group can enter.

Combat Strategy: This fight is MUCH easier with at least three skilled tamer mages with greater dragons. Mages and archers are preferred also. Melee should only attempt this fight if they don't mind dying multiple times, or have a friend they can crossheal with.

Upon entering the area, the mages in the group will hide all players and pets. One person, hereafter referred to as Bait, shall run towards Mel, and attempt to draw off the satyrs. If you are lucky, you can pull them down to the hidden group and get rid of them without bringing Mel after you. Mel creates flesh golems from them, and their discord is awkward during the main battle with Mel.

With the satyrs defeated, the rest of the fight should be easy. Mages will heal the greater dragons from a distance, or cast fireball repeatedly. Archers simply continue shooting, maximizing their damage. Melee must go in with the greaters, and attack and crossheal. Very possible that the melee will be killed during the fight, however.

When Mel is at half life, a Satyr will spawn*. Kill it quickly, and back to Mel. When she is near death, Spellweaving's Word of Death can be very effective.** When close to death, she will begin lifedraining. Typically, just keep damaging her, and she'll go down. When she dies, a Reaper and a stone harpy will spawn* and are easily killed. Time for looting :)

Loot:
- Crimson Cincture. (Rare)
- Peerless ingredients.
- Melisande's Fermented Wine (Explosion potion).
- Corrupted Tree (Deco item, looks like a small tree.)
- Hair Dye (Rare colors)**
- Armour Set Pieces**
- Bow and Quiver Set**

Note on splitting loot: If you drop party halfway through the fight, her loot will be split evenly among everyone that participated. Everything on the corpse will be 'yours' rather than everyone digging through the same pile.

* Thanks to Pitr.
** Thanks chargar42.

chargar42

chargar42

&a mp; a mp; a mp; q uot ; Can Set Custo

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Let me add a few things here.

1. Armour set pieces drop here also.
2. The Bow and Quiver set also drop.
3. Hair Dye!!!!
4. SPELLWEAVING!!! Cant say enough about this. When she is near death, start casting word of death on her, and you can do anywhere from 400-800 damage per spell depending upon the focus that you have.
5. I always drop party as soon as all people are up. I have always contended that the more damage you do to the satyrs, the better your chance at a drop. This is my personal opinion only, but have found thru experience, this to be the case.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Changes added - thanks chargar42.

Changes from PM added - thanks Pitr.

MegaMongbat

MegaMongbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I always found it to be rather effective to block her in with energy fields.
Ecspecially when you have all long range fighters (mages and archers), you can keep off Miss Meli while zapping her from a safe distance.

Ofcourse you will still be hit by her arsenal of spells, it beats having to deal with her chasing you as well.

It's recommended to have one mage dedicated to casting energy fields and vortexes.
Another mage (or preferably a tamer) dedicated to deal with any spawn she may produce.
A third mage to keep focus on the party and heal/cure/invis anyone who might need it.

Keep in mind though that alot of people may be reluctant to take the role of support character because it lowers their chances on decent loot because they focus more on keeping the party alive than dishing out damage. This is also why it helps to have 3 different support duties like stated above, because if those people don't have energy fields to cast, spawn to kill or people to heal, they can sick it on Melissande whereas if only one person were to take on this responsibility he or she would not have much mana or time to spend dishing out direct damage.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
If you have a tamer, that makes casting the fields a moot point. Just heal the bloody greater dragon and no more fielding is needed.

If the tamer is very alert, the side spawn isn't too difficult to deal with either. But everyone else MUST help kill the satyr at the 50% point in the fight, otherwise you'll have a dead dragon and likely a dead tamer.

That mysterious third person at the end of the song still needs to keep his friends in low places from getting lower. In other words, heals and invisses for everyone!

If the party healer is a spellweaver, then looting rights is rarely a problem. A level 6 focus plus liberal words of death means you always get looting rights unless your party is huge.

lynx

lynx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Mel also has a time limit of 2 hours. So if you solo you need to do it in under two hours or you are ejected.

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
110 taming
110 animal lore
120 weaving
120 magery
120 eval
60 necro
80+ ss

Wraith form... stack SDI use fey slayer, have level 6 focus.
Efield to block them off... backoff wait about 5 secs place 2nd efield. cast arcane empowerment and presummon meteor swarm, back off meteor swarm again. This should kill all satyrs.
Get Mel aggro'd on GD. Cast gift of renewal on gd. Corpse skin mel. Fire away with fireball (150+ dmg) healing GD as required. Watch out for satry spawn flamestrike and fireball will kill it. When below 30% life swap to scrappers or 30 SDI invasion book and WOD. If her mana pool starts to get low swap back to slayer and fireball.

Can use FS but fireball prevents you from sapping her mana.

Can easily finish all spawn and her in under 10 mins.

Edited by dragkiris, 05 September 2012 - 03:19 PM.

Venomusmc

Venomusmc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
Little typo.
You put 110 eval instead of animal lore

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
good catch

Gilmour

Gilmour

Danish Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
I add:

1 GD is enough, bring vet (just in case), but heal with magic, and for an easy run, keep 5 tiles range to her, if you aren't a GD. Her wither will generally make her switch to a random target it hit.. it also hurt!

Fey slayer works, yes.. There the bow from Medusa and the spellbook for Stygian Dragon.. Both have Fey slayer.

And ofc as always... Discordance ROCKS!

Edited by Gilmour, 06 September 2012 - 10:42 AM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
Personally I would not put vet on a tamer template. With todays items magic is more than enough and you get GOL with spellweaving to bring him back if he does die. I just dont see vet beign worth the 100+ points.

Gilmour

Gilmour

Danish Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
well that would require you to.

1. have spellweaving
2. remember gift of life

if those are met and you wish a dedicated meli template, it would agree.. but vet is pretty useful elsewhere ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
Personal pref, but I think weaving is a better investment of skill. GOR GOL arcane empower, ehteral voyage, essence of wind, t-storm.

Gilmour

Gilmour

Danish Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
Well yes and no, i got a weaving tamer without vet myself, and i like both depending on situation.. imho weaving not that awesome without medi, and getting medi just for weaving, is again alot of points that could be used in like discordance and music.

So IMO it depends on your other skills if its a good idea or not. And not least purpose and playstyle.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
I found that a necro/ss split is much better than med. Once again just what I prefer but worth trying out

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blighted, grove, matriarch, melisande