Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

My Keep can become a Castle - Need a step-by-step guide!

- - - - - castle guide stepbystep

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Greetings all!

As the last house near mine falls to ruin, I find myself without neighbors and able to place a Castle. The only problem is, I'm not sure how to go about upgrading safely. I could really benefit from an IDOC-hunter or house-guru's secret list of steps to safely upgrade.

I'm in a remote location, but you never know.

Thanks in advance!

~M

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
First problem I see is getting all your stuff stored offsite. Then, to me, it would be all timing. I'd try to make sure of exact placement by hitting the test center, see if your location is open. And practice dropping it.

Just some thoughts. I'm sure the "pros" will check in!

Good Luck!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Lord Gareth

Lord Gareth

Without The Community You Are Limited

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 931 posts
Put all your stuff on Boats if you have no where to put it. Just dont forget it. And dont use Gift boxes or anything that has a fast decay rate

Or use all your characters banks

Or you can buy five packys and put all your pack horses in a guard zone city in tram that not allot of people go to. Your packys should last a few hours.

Foot print out the area nd if your positive say

I wish to resize my plot or whatever that phrase is. That gives you a 1hour window to ONLY you can place and ONLY that account. If it doesnt work then simple go back to your keep.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Foot print out the area nd if your positive say

I wish to resize my plot or whatever that phrase is. That gives you a 1hour window to ONLY you can place and ONLY that account. If it doesnt work then simple go back to your keep.

Wow...I didn't know such a command existed. That's very handy. Does it work for all house sizes and types?

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Do I have to empty the keep if I'm using the resize command? It would sure be convenient not to have to move it all...

Thanks everyone for the advice!

~M

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
I believe that as you resize all your stuff is thrown on the ground so I would highly recommend emptying the keep out.

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Don't forget you can use commodity deeds to compress your stackables into one deed - much lighter and easier to manipulate (and store, of course). This is highly dependant upon whether or not you have a 1st year vet reward commodity deed box. With that, you don't have to haul everything to the bank first. Do it at home and the ship the one stone deed to the bank... Mebbe someone can loan you one for the duration if you do not have one. Otherwise, haul it all to the bank.

Lord_of_Rage

Lord_of_Rage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
If you haven't done it by now... here's my two cents. I have placed several castles, and they can be a bit tricky.

First and foremost, check all shards tram and fel, and see if there is a castle where your keep is. Just gives you a peace of mind to know it will fit for sure.

Empty it out. Boats and packies great options. DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT collapse it RIGHT after you are done moving, stick around, use some tracking with human character, don't be ignorant thinking nobody just watched you move all your stuff out. Wait a day or two. There are some slick peeps in this game.

Make sure you can go 7 tiles each way, bigger than your keep. (31x31 plus steps)

Use circle of transparency to make sure there aren't any rocks that may hinder your decision. As well as trees, and some dirt patches.

MOST IMPORTANT... Considering that you may have uoassist... Make TWO assist macros!!! One placing a keep, and one placing a castle. that way you can hit one button to place a keep back if you get into trouble, or get skittish.

Keep in mind, I placed a keep on pac that took me over 2 hours to figure out exactly what tile it should go on.(there were rocks EVERYWHERE!) But it went eventually, then a house fell next to it, and i placed my current castle. But I already had a few keeps so my items weren't just floating around in ships either, not to mention it was an idoc, and nobody was around.

When placing castles, or any bigger home for that matter... You can't just target where the silouette looks like it should go sometimes. I have had to kinda bounce it off the edges if you catch my drift. Slightly south or north of where it looks like it should go. Where to place the placement target varies. And where you stand in conjunction to your target seems to affect it too. Most of the time, it will put it where it will fit. Other times, it will be picky as hell, and be not even close to where you think it should go, like my keep i mentioned.

And if you need some help, I'd be happy to give you a hand. Hope this helps. :) Good luck!

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Interesting stuff! My keep will never upgradable, the area is not big enough, but I still suffer from the delusion of finding a space to place a castle in fel. And when this time comes, I might want to know 2 things:
1. What about spawn and house placement? If there is a flock of sheep on the place - does that matter? Can i just place over them? or do I have to clear the out before? And do I have to lead them away or can I simply kill them and place over their corpses?
2. Is it still possible to place a castle around a tree? And if so, what rules apply there?

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
Don't forget this little tidbit: if you say "I wish to resize my house" while standing near the house sign, the keep will fall & the footprint around it will be unable to place for an hour by anyone except yourself.

BTW, I recommend having tracking on one of your chars to see if anyone is hiding around... :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mathena

Mathena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Do I have to empty the keep if I'm using the resize command? It would sure be convenient not to have to move it all...

Thanks everyone for the advice!

~M

I have a friend that was in fel and the Keep next to his fell, so he thought it was a perfect time to place a castle. Except for one small flaw in this thought process. He did not know saying "I wish to resize my house" dropped the house and everything inside was out for anyone to pick up. Once he realized this....it was a rush to his belongings. He was busy fighting them off and was having trouble replacing the keep.
Long story short.....about 700 mill in rares and such....gone
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Wow - I'm really glad you shared that story. Saved me from a massive, game-ending blunder.

~M

Mathena

Mathena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
Yea, i would hate for anyone to go through what he did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lord_of_Rage

Lord_of_Rage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Interesting stuff! My keep will never upgradable, the area is not big enough, but I still suffer from the delusion of finding a space to place a castle in fel. And when this time comes, I might want to know 2 things:
1. What about spawn and house placement? If there is a flock of sheep on the place - does that matter? Can i just place over them? or do I have to clear the out before? And do I have to lead them away or can I simply kill them and place over their corpses?
2. Is it still possible to place a castle around a tree? And if so, what rules apply there?

1) Nothing that moves around like animals or players or monsters will get in your way, they will pop out under the sign when u place. Water barrels dont block either. Left over animated stew tile will block placement I know from experience. And anything you can't walk through, like small bushes or rocks will not let you place over either. UNLESS the rock is inside the wall at least one tile in.

2) i asked that question in another thread here, so search it out. I was sent pics of castles and keeps with a tree inside the wall, so i assume it still will be okay. The tree however has to have one tile all the way around it though clear. Big jungle trees, or yew trees you can't place over.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: castle, guide, stepbystep