Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Brand new UO player

- - - - - brand player uo

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Kandyr

Kandyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello dear UO players!

I've been playing UO for the past 1-2 weeks. I really enjoy the game and ive pretty much learned how to get around the world with moongates and runebooks and stuffs like that.

i was wondering if it sounds like a good idea to max the template of my choosing before i get into something else in the game. I know that UO is nothing like other games like World of Warcraft, Lineage 2 or similar games. However i do want my character to be strong enough to go out and enjoy everything the game has to offer me. My current primary goal except fixing my template is to get a house and start to decorate it.

Thank you!

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
Welcome to UO and UOForums Kandyr

Best thing to do is to find people here and ingame to team up with and help each other progress your temp for what you want.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Hi Kandyr,

One of the brilliant things about UO is there is no right way to do things. With the newest character possible, you can travel to every corner of the realm. It might be harder to stay alive, but if you are with a strong group you can do it. If you want to try out new skills and character types, go for it. Sometimes you'll find skills that work better at you and the items and gold you earn from that character will help you with your other characters.

What shard do you play?

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Hello and a warm welcome to you Kandyr.

It is very true what sabel said, but nonetheless it is also true, that there are of course situations in the game where a trained and well equipped character does better than a newly created one. There are ways to train your char up quite a lot faster than just by normal playing. But these methods usually require hours and hours of very boring repetitive actions and I'm not sure if I should advise that to a new player. better to go out, explore the world and gain a little bit slower.

That said, you could take a lookhere or browse here.

If you tell us, which shard (server) you are playing on, I'm sure there will be some helpful people to show you some tricks.

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
Welcome.

As others have pointed out, there's lots of ways to do things in UO.

My recommendation, though, would be to finish out your character, experience our higher-end content, then work on other characters. That wouldn't be everyone's recommendations, though.

My full disclosure moment is that I've had just one character of any note for many years. That is NOT typical of UO.

-Galen's player

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
What shard are you on and what type of character are you building? Most UO players love to help out people starting their UO journey. Let us know here and I'm sure someone will offer to help with starting supplies and/or advice & training.

Kandyr

Kandyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for everything :) but im gonna try and focus on getting my characters template done. i play on Europa :)
Becket Kandyr - Europa Shard

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Welcome to UO.

To echo what everyone else has said, the game is much better (and easier) if you find a like minded group of people to play with.

If you have any questions (like how to best build your character or where to hunt or where to find people) we're more than happy to answer.

Now go enjoy yourself!

Kandyr

Kandyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thanks farsight :) ye i was wondering where the people melting pot is? ^^ is there any similar places like WOrld of warcrafts Dalaran or places like that where all people hang out?

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
A good place for beginners is New Haven, apart from the newbie quests, there are also older players passing through willing to lend a helping hand.

The busiest place is usually Luna or if the west bank on europa has already be redesigned it may also be the Britain West Bank.

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Welcome to the forums Kendyr.
People tend to hang out at Luna bank, or Britain bank (Depending on the shard)

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
On Europa, I never EVER have problems finding real people in New Haven around the bank.

If you can find them and enjoy roleplaying, the cities of Cove, Trinsic and Vesper are usually active, but not near the bank. Keep your eyes on forums for events (i.e. Van's Ilshenar expeditions posted on the Vesper boards here.)

A few guilds like Luna, but it's hard to find real people there (in my observations), and even harder to find friendly/helpful people.

So my advice... start in New Haven until you find a group that suits you.

Darla

Darla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
There are hang-out places, but each shard has slight differences. For Sonoma, Luna bank area gets a lot of traffic. It was the West Brit bank for a long time, but invasions have gotten peeps into finding a new place. Also, the layout of the bank and shops in Luna are really tight with a lot of shops being very close. Whoever designed the city, probably lives in a city and walks to work.

For me, getting to know people is really best. They help with techniques and also have hunts. I find that there are places that I can't go alone. See more when with a group.

Ventrillo and teamspeak are getting popular as guild voice-chat. ICQ is a good text chat so that you can see who is online.

As to skills, my 7 characters are all different so that when I feel like doing a certain thing, I have a suitable character. Hard to just have one "do-it-all" character. I wish I had designed my characters a bit earlier since I have had to change them a bit. Not the best to have seven swordsmen on the account :)

Have fun.
Darla

Kandyr

Kandyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
as my adventure in UO continues i would like to know where to make some good money, i preferr getting it from killing creatures and stuffs.. soo far im killing alot of Water elementals but they only drop like 190-200gp each.. is there some other place i can "farm" money succesfully?

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
depends on your template and skill level, but daemons at the temple are good if you kill them fast enough

Then theres miasmas that are decent :)

Kandyr

Kandyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
How much gold do they drop then? :)

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
daemons? not as much per daemon, but you can kill them faster than you can loot, so it keeps coming in. I think its like 400-600, but dont remember.

uobuoy

uobuoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
You need to familiarize yourself with this site:
http://uo.stratics.c...ers/index.shtml

It lists 99.9% of the critters in UO.

In the top-left corner, click on Advanced Search. Scroll down to the bottom of that page and select Sort By: Gold and click Search. At the top of that list are critters that have zero gold and at the bottom are the cash-cows.

Right-click on a critter and select Open Link In New Window. There you will find everything you need to know about that beast including loot, location, user comments, strengths/weaknesses, etc. Clicking on the Found At locations will give details about the locations including coordinates and what other critters occupy the same location.

You can use that site to locate high fame critters, creatures with a certain Barding or Taming requirement and almost anything else!

Kandyr

Kandyr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello again! as i venture even further into the game ive discovered that people are telling me to get a LRC ( Low reagent cost ) suit.. the only problem is.. i dont know where to get it or how much it would cost me.. if anyone got some good information on this, please be nice and help me out :)

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
This is the part where you really need to find someone in-game who can help you.

You'll find that most of the LRC gear for sale around Luna is absurdly expensive and out of your price range, so you'll need to either earn it yourself (crafting or killing monsters) or find a location outside of Luna to buy LRC gear.

I do all my shopping (literally all my shopping) at the RAA vendor mall:
Link to a map of how to get there

Or if you find any member of the HLP guild in New Haven, they will be more than happy to provide you with a rune to there.

Or if you're really lucky, someone will donate a suit to get you started.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brand, player, uo