Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Water Expansion

- - - - - expansion water

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I know this has been brought up before. I even brought this up awhile ago.

UO is in need of an expansion of it's water fontier. Fishing and pulling up sunken treasure is all the sea really offers anymore and this profession is slowly dying.

I think an expansion small enough to fit into a new publish will re-spark the fishing profession and also add more adventuring onto the high seas.

First:

More boats. Not just more but larger ones. Say one that is two stories with the first being below deck. (if graphically possible) Also if possible allow the below deck to accept addons like house addons but for boats. I am also asking too much but if possible able to have lockdowns. I am sure this would be difficult so it really isnt necessary. But I think boat-addons would be nice. Addons could be like a flag for the top of the mast. Or different decorations for the deck and the below deck room. A cannon that may or maynot actually work, a brass monkey full of cannon balls, a skeleton to hang from the stern for pirate vessels and evil character boats.

Second:

More sea type monsters and enemies. I always thought pirates would be an essential part of the UO world. Many Ultima games had pirates and their ships. How hard could it be to create NPC pirate reds that randomly sail around the ocean and attack players on boats with archers. All you need are brigand type NPC's with possibly the "pirate" title and have them yeild mostly bows and crossbows.

The attacking players could attack from a distance or be able to board the pirate ship and kill all the pirates with melee attacks. The pirates would have about the same loot table as any other brigand but the hold would contain items similar to treasure chests. Each level of treasure dictates how many pirates there are on each vessel, how tough they are and how rarely they occur. Low end pirate vessels would be the most common having about what would appear to be level 1 treasure loot in them and maybe a small chance of a new kind of artie related to a quest or sea faring in general. higher level would have level 6 type treasure loot and more of a chance of an artie.

Third:

More things for a fisher to do. More sea animals would be the way to go. Besides sea serpents, Krakans and Leviathan's how about sharks and octopi? Non enemy animals like an octopus could be fished up and killed to harvest some new ingrediant or something.

What do you think?

-Cade
Power is not given, it is taken!

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
This could also expand PvPing in fel oceans. Ther could be water Champ Spawn somewhere in the middle of the ocean where players could only get there and fight via a bought. Reds could then move in with their own boats to harass and possibly kill the blues workign the spawn.

Also there could be blue NPC fisher and merchant boats that sail around the seas evil character that play pirates could attack.

That way both trammel and fel could have it's Pirate and water expansion and the rewards would be pretty good.

-Cade

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I've been salivating for years over the idea of a sea/pirate-based expansion, but now is not the time to start campaigning it. Wait til SA has been out a few months. At that point the devs will start the life cycle of the next expansion, brainstorming and conceptualizing, and that is when people who want a sea/pirate-based expansion should really speak up. Anything done now will just be lost and effort wasted as SA takes center stage.

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
True, but now is the time to formulate ideas and submit to the devs so they know what the player base wants.

-Cade

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Very good ideas! Especially like the idea of a water champ! But I concur with Tancred, let keep this simmering a wee while longer and present in to the dev in fall.

Concerning multistory boats - they tried this in the UO beta nearly 12 years ago, but had huge problems with it, that's how we ended up with not so satisfying boats. I saw screenshots of that not too long ago, but can't remember where.

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
sounds good to me

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
unfortunately boats won't move any smoother without an engine rewrite (which would require the 2D client to be rewritten/replaced.)

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
I like the idea about a Champ spawn on an island, only reachable by boat (no magical travel to or from), but to get to the island itself you'd need to fight your way thru various sea monsters, PK's or storms that teleport your ship to a different part of the ocean if you don't navigate well thru it.

Interesting idea.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I call them Pirates! :)

I like the idea about a Champ spawn on an island, only reachable by boat (no magical travel to or from), but to get to the island itself you'd need to fight your way thru various sea monsters, PK's or storms that teleport your ship to a different part of the ocean if you don't navigate well thru it.

Interesting idea.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
*PURE SPECULATION NOTICE, I AM NOT SPEAKING IN AN OFFICIAL CAPACITY*
Unfortunately, I'd bet this would require abandoning the 2D client, which if the SA client works and gets a high adoption rate might be plausible. Maintaining 2 clients, esp when one is a growing hamstring for content, it's age and just the pain of having to do so much twice, it's *almost* an inevitability for UO's next decade of life.

For now, I think boats move smooth enough, lol

unfortunately boats won't move any smoother without an engine rewrite (which would require the 2D client to be rewritten/replaced.)

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I think it'd be a great idea - but yes, it would require the 2D client to be abandoned. They know that they have too many using either client to fully drop one right now, and are hoping they can get a high adoption rate on SA.

EVE Online just went through a similar situation, where they were maintaining two clients, one with older graphics - but with their recent expansion, they dropped the old one, because enough people were using the new client, that they could just add in graphical scaling to allow for older hardware users.

Useless Fact: In Ultima 4, the only way to get a boat was to wait on the shore for pirates to attack, and kill them. (gameplay wise one of your units had to end the battle on the deck of the ship)

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts

Useless Fact: In Ultima 4, the only way to get a boat was to wait on the shore for pirates to attack, and kill them.

Not only in Ultima 4, but also in Ultima 1-3

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
you could either capture them or buy them in U5

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
The multi-story boat picture was from the UO beta - it ended up looking like a garbled pile of rubble lurching across the sea, so the idea was dropped.

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Well instead of multi story boats how about larger ones?

Also I think to give crafters bonus items to create new ingrediants should be available through harvesting sea animals.

One idea I had was a new underwater dungeon. They could easily just create this dungeon with a watery look and add different monsters like water elems, and pools full of krakkans and new stuff. To get to this new dungeon you should have to have a certain item. Like entering the guantlet in Doom using a gold skull maybe to get into the water dungeon you need an item that is craftable from ingrediants harvested from sea animals.

Example: new animal that can be fished up is "shark" when killed there is a chance of harvesting "shark cartiledge" this can be used in conjuction with a few hides, a glass plate crafted by a glass blower with carpentry, bronze ingots and when all combined and put together by a tinker you get a "breathing helmet" which can be used to access the underwater dungeon. Of course the item disappears and as soon as you leave the dungeon you will need another just like the Guanlets gold skull.

What you guys think?

-Cade

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Ultima Online: Trials of Atlantis...

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Two story boats would be great - I am sure one could make it fit to look good. Also I see no need of shutting down 2D. Just change the moving to be smooth and continous in the new client (sure more a ping/crossclient sync thing). 2D could keep the old rendering.

Anira Cuilwen

Anira Cuilwen

Scholar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Oh and yes - please enable lockdowns and\or ship addons and provide better security for ships, too.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I'm waiting another 2 months til I start doing something.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: expansion, water