Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Tamer Mage

mage skill tamer template

17 replies to this topic

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
(NOTE: I'm doing the fairly obvious templates here - if you know enough to be min-maxing your skills based on what gear you plan on getting, well I doubt you really need a skill guide.)

Another skill template! This time we do the ever popular Tamer Mage.

Base Skills:

Magery: Magery skill governs your success chance when casting spells.
Evaluating Intelligence: This is your damage skill. It increases your spell damage.
Meditation: Increases mana regeneration. It only affects you if your armor is leather or cloth, and can be done actively for double speed regeneration.

Animal Taming: This governs which pets you can tame and control.
Animal Lore: This also governs pet control, as well as helping with veterinary.
Veterinary: This works much like the Healing skill, allowing you to heal and ressurect pets with bandages.

Build:

120 Animal Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Magery
120 Evaluating Intelligence
120 Meditation
100 Veterinary

Total: 700 skillpoints.

This is one of the best hybrid builds in UO right now. Your main damage comes from your pet, while your magery allows you to heal from a distance, and support your pet when it isn't in need of healing.

There is one common variant - with enough mana regen from your items, you can drop Meditation and replace it with Spellweaving.

Not much else to say about this template, except that if you're building one from scratch, it is very worthwhile to pop an advanced character token for it. Taming is very slow to gain, and many of the really good pets require GM or higher to tame and use.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
I would say that the common variant isn't dropping meditation, but rather dropping Eval Int in favor of spellweaving.
That makes the 700 skill point template this:

120 Animal Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Magery
120 Spellweaving
120 Meditation
100 Veterinary

Many players prefer to conserve their mana during the majority of big fights, using spellweaving for gift of renewal and magery exclusively for healing. Then near the end of the fight, they can cast Word of Death repeatedly to make up for the damage they didn't cause earlier in the fight. With the 120 meditation and good MR, one can cast a lot of words of death before mana is out, and it always leaves room for more healing via magic, if needed.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I actually had to ask my alliance about that - I don't have a weaver, but wanted to mention that a lot of tamers use weaving for the guide. I am trying to keep these at 700 point templates, because most people who have been active long enough to get the 720 aren't looking up skill templates.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Another Variant.

The Spawning Tamer.

120 Animal Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Veterinary
120 Spellweaving
100 Meditation (110 with Spell Woven Britches)
100 Magery
20 Chivalry

Gear:
Hat of Magi, Midnight Bracers, Spell Woven Britches, Pendant of Magi, Stitcher Mittens, RuneBeetle Carapace, Totem of the Void, Ring/Bracer with 12 SDI and LRC 20, Slayer SpellBook and Chaos Shield Museum Reward.

(Trade RuneBeetle Carapace for Armor of Fortune if you cant find the Ring/Bracer)

Gear Mods:
LRC- 100
LMC- 35 (so a 5 LMC on the ring/bracer would be perfect)
SDI- 59+Slayer
MR- 10

Tactic:
Level 6 SpellWeaving focus.
Macro Essence of Wind because you will use it alot.
... spawn.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nevordan

Nevordan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I thought you had to have peacemaking to be a tamer? That's what I was always told, anyway.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Well with the honor virtue (Where you can become unattackable) you don't need peacemaking to stop tamables from attacking on sight.

There are other methods - para/invis is somehow involved - but honor is just easier and safer.

Jeza

Jeza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
And even without honor I know some tamers who do very well and don't have peace either.
They're able to lead tame even GD's.

Well that's not me I use peace and even Honor very often, it's sure safer and easier to tame with.

But to fight a tamer mage is more efficient, or even a bard/tamer with disco instead of peace.

And if you have 2 tamers you can have one peace tamer to tame and transfer the pets to the mage tamer.
Of course you need the tamers on 2 different accounts or if they're in the same a friend to help transfer the pet.

Nevordan

Nevordan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I had forgotten about the virtue trick, it's been so long. But my next char is going to be a tamer of some sort. Probably a mage tamer.

Jeza

Jeza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I saw this on stratics (I don't take any credit about it) :

120 Magery
120 Animal Taming
120 Mysticsm
120 Focus
110 Lore
110 Vet

Me I would add in some jewels to raise lore/vet to 120, even if just for stable slots but I like the idea very much :)

Guest_Calistarious_*

Guest_Calistarious_*
  • Guests
Hi what would you have your STR/DEX/INTEL at?

Valthonis

Valthonis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
wonder why they would take myst to 120 its not like you can cast a riseing with pets
(disclamer I havent played with myst at all)

Etchesketch

Etchesketch

Redneck Fisherman of LS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Gonna run with what I got

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Feel free to redesign this template with Mysticism if you'd like - the article was pre-SA.

Faultier

Faultier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have that

120 Taming
110 Animal Lore
100 Vet

110 Magery (white + Items 120)
100 Medie
100 Eval

= 640 + 80 Spellweaving (30 Items) = 720 (760 white items)

125 Int/100str/30 dex

dragkiris

dragkiris

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
For PVM I would do this.

Taming, Lore, Mystic, Focus, Spellweaving med. You can use cleansing winds with arcane empowerment to heal for way more than with vet+mage, and you will be removing any curses that was put on them. You can resurect by casting gift of life on the pet or carrying the elixers of life. If you couple this with a max SDI setup and slayer books you can also hailstorm what the dragon is fighting for hundreds of damage. Using JOAT to get in wraith form will also keep your mana up.

cameron26

cameron26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Another Variant.

The Spawning Tamer.

120 Animal Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Veterinary
120 Spellweaving
100 Meditation (110 with Spell Woven Britches)
100 Magery
20 Chivalry

Gear:
Hat of Magi, Midnight Bracers, Spell Woven Britches, Pendant of Magi, Stitcher Mittens, RuneBeetle Carapace, Totem of the Void, Ring/Bracer with 12 SDI and LRC 20, Slayer SpellBook and Chaos Shield Museum Reward.

(Trade RuneBeetle Carapace for Armor of Fortune if you cant find the Ring/Bracer)

Gear Mods:
LRC- 100
LMC- 35 (so a 5 LMC on the ring/bracer would be perfect)
SDI- 59+Slayer
MR- 10

Tactic:
Level 6 SpellWeaving focus.
Macro Essence of Wind because you will use it alot.
... spawn.

is there a up to date vertion of this build? I like sw. Would 20 inmagery be better than 20 chiv?

UOGrandpappy

UOGrandpappy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

is there a up to date vertion of this build? I like sw. Would 20 inmagery be better than 20 chiv?

Yeah there is.
Taming 100
Lore 100
Vet 100
Magery 110
Eval 100
Med 100
Spellweave 110

15 taming and 15 lore on ring, animal talisman for 5 taming/ lore puts your taming / lore at 120!
Hat of the Magi, Armor of Fortune, Orni, rest of suit imbued leather for full 70's, 100 lrc, some lmc, mana regen and its all good!!
I love this build!!

cameron26

cameron26

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ty :) my real skill is at 86 for tamming. How long do you think to get to 100?

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mage, skill, tamer, template