Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Archerdin

archerdin

11 replies to this topic

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Archerdin

Base Skills:
- 100 Archery - You can get the Hunter's Headdress and get +20 Archery and some dex, so I only take this to 100 to save cap space.

- 120 Tactics - It's tactics. You want it for damage.

- 80 Chivalry - I only take this to 80, because paladin ressing is dangerous when in combat, so generally success chance isn't vital either. The rewards for higher skill arent worth the cap space. The

- 100 Healing - Allows you another res and cure method, as well as the ability to cross heal with someone else.

- 120 Anatomy - minor damage boost, and a big boost to your Healing.

Stats:
85 STR 120 DEX 50 INT

Note that really you mainly want to focus on DEX and STR over INT. I prefer maxing DEX, though it really depends on what sort of gear you end up using - you may find you don't have enough health, in which case, take some DEX points and put them in STR.

While this isn't really a min/max champion killing build or anything, It's one I just tend to have a lot of fun with.

Other Skills:
There are 200 free points (180 for new accounts). There are many different avenues you can go to further specialize this build. Remember however, that INT heavy skills will be less effective unless you take a DEX or STR hit, as archery damage is based on those stats.

Also, you can change the skill build around depending on what sort of jewelry you get. You can gain up to 30 points (15 from each piece).

Archer Bard - Musicianship and a barding skill can be very useful. Archer/Peacers fit very well with someone attempting to tame hostile creatures. You will, however, want both skills to 120 in such a case.

Weapons Master: You can add Parry and another weapon skill to become more versatile, though I prefer just archery.

Sniper Assassin - Convenient for those who go to felucca. Replacing Chivalry with Ninjitsu is even more effective.

Pure Archer - Take Bowcraft, Lumberjacking, and replace Chivalry with Tracking. Not as combat viable as the others, but it is self sufficient and good for RP.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
With archery, there are a great many templates which are effective in both PvM and PvP.

An easy one to play is this:
120 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Healing
120 Anatomy
120 Resist Spells
60 Chivalry
60 Meditation or 60 Focus (up to 80 points with Hunter's headdress and 720 skill point cap)

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I still don't see the real value in resist spells, since it only affects curses and debuffs.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Resist spells helps against curses, debuffs, paralyzes and poisons. It's especially useful when fighting opponents with necromancy, since you can't always remove the curse before your next shot, which means that you can kill yourself against a Dark Father or even a Lich Lord very easily.

Most of what resist counters can also be countered by using items, but sometimes you have to be quick.

I thought about showing bushido in place of resist in that template, but I think the ABC is worthy of its own guide, mostly because people ask in nearly every archery thread, "What is ABC?"

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Ah. :) Forgot about Doom.

Thanks for the feedback - this guide is meant more as a 'base' template for archery really, sort of something for a newbie to look at when they want to be an archer.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Something that really should be brought up here: Elves get a huge +20 mana, so if you make your archer an Elf then you can easily drop your Int a bit for Strength, especially before you can manage a +25 stat scroll. I think I'd prefer an elf build with 100 Str, 125 Dex, and 30 Int myself, which might later be tweaked depending on what items I wind up using.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Personal preference, I'm addicted to JOAT :)

MegaMongbat

MegaMongbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
I have to go with Corvak here.

Jack of all Trades adds the neat little bonus that all special moves cost 5 less mana.
This would (in my humble opinion)... hang on, pizza stuck on my keyboard, right, there we go... be a much better bonus than the +20 mana that elves get. This ecspecially when you use moves like moving shot and paralize alot!

Oh and let's not even go over the fugly factor that elves have to deal with!

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Kinda pathetic, but I just like wearing hats instead of circlets too :)

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Jack of all Trades adds the neat little bonus that all special moves cost 5 less mana.
This would (in my humble opinion)... hang on, pizza stuck on my keyboard, right, there we go... be a much better bonus than the +20 mana that elves get. This ecspecially when you use moves like moving shot and paralize alot!

That I did not know. That IS a much better bonus than what Elves get. Does it just apply to weapon moves or Bushdio and Ninjitsu stuff, too?

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
It is a result of the default 20 in all combat skills.

The more skill points you have in combat skills, the lower the cost is for specials.

XCodes

XCodes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

It is a result of the default 20 in all combat skills.

The more skill points you have in combat skills, the lower the cost is for specials.

You were talking about that? Eh, ok... That's not nearly as impressive. In that case it would be dependent on what your focus was...

For example, if it's just the above template then humans would actually get the full 10 point reduction. If you used Sealth and Ninjitsu, however, then Elves would get the 10 point bonus and Humans would get nothing extra.

Reply to this topic