Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Let the old houses DECAY ALREADY!!!

- - - - - decay houses

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Lord_of_Rage

Lord_of_Rage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
I don't know why they still stand... These accts haven't been active in several years, yet their houses still stand. A small tower by one of my houses has been there for more than 5 years with no owners name on it. Yet there are houses still around WITH owners name's on them that don't have an active account.

Isn't there something that can be implemented to do a bit of quality control? Maybe if we banded together we can get something done about this? I realize it isn't that big of a problem, but I would like to upgrade a house or 2 of mine, and I know I am not the only one who wants a bigger house without having to pay 200 million gold for it. I know about emailing the coord's and all that, which I have tried over and over with no luck.

Open Up Some Land!!!

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
I came across a small tower not long ago that I was sure has been there a long time. There were stacks of Orcish bows, bola balls, orcish kin masks, evil orc masks, tribal berries, tribal spears and tribal masks.

I'm thinking it has been there since the orc/tribal war or longer.

-Cade
Power is not given, it is taken!

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
It's not like there's a shortage of empty land these days.

The idea behind leaving them be is in case the original owner gives UO another shot, their stuff will be there and theyre more likely to start playing again rather than if they had to start all over from zero.

cadethepagan

cadethepagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
Yea but left there for years? I left the game for a bit and my house fell. I am sure many people who left houses have been gone long enoug for the house to decay.

-Cade
Power is not given, it is taken!

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
While I agree with you Cade, there really is no way of knowing if a house is owned by an active (paying) account. Only Mythic actually knows. And since they have not been able to even remove the asdf houses and other EA owned houses for years even after these houses have been reported to OSI/EA/Mythic at least 3 times that I recall. Do not put much faith in ever seeing results. There is always an excuse from the company. Feel free to keep venting but just remember a definition of insanity - repeating the same actions over and over while expecting a different result.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I think they should implement a sort of 'holding area' for players who have been inactive, that their houses go into instead of decaying.

it could contain:
- locked down items and secured containers.
- redeeded addons.
- a check for the value of the house.
- and a house placement tool.

You would not be able to place items into this box, only remove from it, and it would be accessible from the banker. Players would be more likely to return if they knew most of their items were intact.

IDOC Farmers: Quit whining. You're just a bunch of jackals feeding off of dead accounts anyway :P.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
As far as housing, my take is long as the account is being paid it stays, playtime doesn't matter.

Inactive players can hold onto a number of items via bank, characters holding, etc

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Interesting idea, but I think it could be an exploit vector for free storage for farmer accounts.

I see your stance on IDOC'ers, but at the same time, from death comes new life. I think IDOC'ing can be fun, full of excitement and there's def a niche community of them. Not all IDOC'ers are scripting cheaters living in their mom's basement. A few months ago, one sought me out to deliver some personal items they'd run across from an old friend who'd left years ago when his house fell. I keep it in my living room now it is such a treasure to me.

Additionally, I think a vast majority of surviving server birth rares and Seer event-related items have passed through IDOC'er hands rather than being lost to the ages.

The current IDOC system is slightly better than it used to be, but could certainly use some more tweaks, not abandonment.

I think they should implement a sort of 'holding area' for players who have been inactive, that their houses go into instead of decaying.

it could contain:
- locked down items and secured containers.
- redeeded addons.
- a check for the value of the house.
- and a house placement tool.

You would not be able to place items into this box, only remove from it, and it would be accessible from the banker. Players would be more likely to return if they knew most of their items were intact.

IDOC Farmers: Quit whining. You're just a bunch of jackals feeding off of dead accounts anyway :P.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Most of that stuff just ends up feeding the price inflation in Luna.

And regular slobs like me can't really get in on it, even if I did have a bunch of rares from an IDOC - the price of housing in Luna is just ridiculous on catskills.

Regardless of ranting over game economy...I'd really just like to see some of that land available. Many of us want to buy up our inactive neighbors and place bigger houses - but we can't, unless they put their ICQ on the sign.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
There should be some affinity in The System for neighbors, guildies, etc., perhaps townstones, but that's two or three expansions away, lol

To fix the Luna problem, they need to either nuke it like Magincia, invade it like Britain or come out with an auction house system. Player vendors in your house 24/7 is so... 1998!

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I think we could find a happy medium, actually.

Searchable vendors. All of our vendors would be listed, similarly to how certain websites do it - except in-game. We could search through their items, and if we wanted, recall to them.

- it maintains the uniqueness of UO housing.
- ALL vendors get equal coverage, not just those owned by the very rich. While I understand why Luna housing is so expensive (Limited supply + high demand), from a gameplay point, having overly high pricing and expensive vendor placement really hurts anyone new to the game.
- more traffic in neighborhoods outside of the Luna area. Most of the world feels 'dead' because nobody ever travels there.
- Less runes scattered all over for vendor houses. (more items lying around increase server lag)

*There is a viable way of 'invading' Luna...because, much like Magincia's storyline it's filled with greed (aka the player economy).

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
I say nuke all the housing inside Luna walls and make them move outside the city like every other town does.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
After a little bit of thought, player towns have always wanted things like stables, banks, boat docks, etc. and Luna is perfect for it, except that it's not what it's used for. Again, the problem is player vendoring. Preferential location, not to mention inflated costs at the price of convenience. If anything, all "those websites" which scan Luna are more or less an Auction House type function.

Give that ability to all players, and not just through some 3rd-party website which is doing unholy things with the client datastream anyway. Mythic should implement an Auction House function, get rid of the antiquated player vendor system, cut down on lag and all the SALES IN CAPS BUY HERE stuff. I think UO is the last MMO with such a system and it retains no unique character, flavor or otherwise endearing qualities. I won't even get into vendors which are always unstocked with their titles saying they'll restock next week 9 months ago, lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: decay, houses