Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Parrying guide by Belanos.

- - - - - belanos guide parrying

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
Thought I'd write a quick article on something incredibly easy that not many people seem to understand.

1. go to Jhelom dueling pit Tram - bring lots and lots of shields - as many as you can carry, but aim for little to no DCI. Self Repair properties help.

2. kill all male fighters and disarm all female fighters until you have a lot of unarmed (wrestling) FEMALE fighters. The more the better - go for 15 or so at least. (bring invis pots so the females stop attacking you after they're disarmed).

3. Once you've got enough unarmed female fighters, equip a weapon that you are not proficient with (e.g., if you're a swordsman, equip a mace) and target all of the unarmed females so they attack you. Make sure you're wearing NO ARMOR AT ALL except for your training shields.

4. unarmored and with shield and non-proficient weapon in hand, go into war mode while all the females attack you.

5. put on a new shield whenever the current one breaks.

---

You have to be unarmored because your stuff will break FAST.

They have to be unarmed females because they're the only ones who cant damage you.

Bring many many many many shields because they go fast.

With enough fighters on you, you can expect 0-120 parry in just an hour or two. If you skip the disarming and killing and just take the available unarmed females, you'll normally net 3-4 of them and get to 120 in about 5-6 hours

*-* DISCLAIMER: This guide was written before Stygian Abyss was released - it worked then, and as far as I know should work now. But there may have been changes put in place that breaks this guide in some way. Again, it probably still works. But just in case it doesn't, blame SA. And before you leave a comment saying that it doesn't work, double check to make sure you've followed each step to the very letter. Any part done wrong can potentially break the method. *-*
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
Now if that only worked in the real world

Deadshot

Deadshot

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I've used this method many times and agree it is the easiest way to gain parry. The times I have done it though I don't recall my gear taking damage except for the item I'm using to parry, and I usually skip the shield and use a two-handed npc weapon.

Lately it seems like there was a change as I've had to start out using a two-hander that I have skill in for lower to mid gains and then switching to a weapon that I am unskilled in for higher gains.

After you attack the unarmed females you go back into peace mode and just stand there blocking.

On a different note I usually start training a brand new warrior with parry first and go to at least 110, after 100 you can easily max-out str and dex while gaining the last 10 points.

-Az =)

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
i have used this method also and it works great .

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,647 posts
Didn't you forget a few steps?

A. Summon a water elemental to muddy the fighting pits.

B. Bring leather bustiers and shorts to outfit the fighters.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Who cares about parry, this method is hawt.

IKEA

IKEA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Nobody uses the old-fashioned blade spirits training method these days then?

Always used this method with guildmates way back when....

:)

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I always just get a bunch of vendor junk shields and some sheep, heh.

Timberbee

Timberbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Hmm, I think I will try the sheep method. I also used to use the Blade Spirit thing, way back when. We actually had some fun, once, when two peeps who had joined my guildmates and I, decided it was more enjoyable to gank one of us rather than play with the blade spirit.

That was fun!

Timberbee

Timberbee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
I recant. This is a great, great, guide.
Thanks much.

Inspektor

Inspektor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Do the Jhelom fighters still work? I am currently at 36.9 parrying and I can't seem to gain at all. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!

Amber Lockheart

Amber Lockheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
I use sheep personally, always for heal, anatomy and parry training, thou i normally buy npc staffs and have 50 bush on the template

MegaMongbat

MegaMongbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

I always just get a bunch of vendor junk shields and some sheep, heh.

Helps relieve the sexual tension you build up while training as well I bet!
=)

Reiver

Reiver

Preceptor of Silver Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
The fighters work last time i did it yes.. but i could be wrong it was over a month ago...

Belanos

Belanos

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Do the Jhelom fighters still work? I am currently at 36.9 parrying and I can't seem to gain at all. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance!

I last personally tested this about six months ago, but make sure you're following each step exactly. Some people seem to have success without doing a part or two of it, but for some reason it was necessary for me to do each one (specifically the non-proficient weapon thing, I didn't start gaining on my most recent parry character til I tried that)

and this guide is pre-SA, so I can't speak for any SA-related problems that might crop up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lady Riley

Lady Riley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I used the Yew sheep pen for all my parry gains from 40 to 120. seems the sheep get stronger as so does your parry. One thing i did do differently for my faster gains was i used the black staffs from the NPC's for me two handed weapons seemed to be faster for gains in parry with bushido.

Haddy G

Haddy G

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I used Yew sheep pens as well up to around 117 parry. I then went to the Jhelom bullpen and parried goats as well as sheep.

Since I already had Bushido I used Black staffs and npc armor. Those sheep destroy armor. :) If you have necro be sure can cast Horrific Beast for the hit point gain. When the sheep get strong just kill them and use the weaker sheep you'll still get gains.

Overall it took about 5 hours yesterday from 50 to 120 parry. I had 50 on a stone.

Majora

Majora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

worked for me the other night :P Took a lot less than 6 hours too :P

Belanos

Belanos

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

worked for me the other night :P Took a lot less than 6 hours too :P

I put six hours because I'm always lazy when I do this and don't bother disarming and killing to get more usable fighters, which leaves me with three or four on me, which takes about six hours. I'm sure with 15 or however many it would be a lot less :P I'm going to modify the guide to reflect this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Liffy

Liffy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
This seemed a pretty cheap and straightforward skill to gm on my trial account. I used to love the old school way of leveling parry with blade spirits.. It used to be so much fun, with the added spice of wondering if someone would try to flag you for a kill.

Anyway as Im on a trial acct I'm limited to 100 cap. I too did Yew sheep pen but I'm going to try to be a bit more specific on gains and method for the benefit of anyone like me who is new or just returned from a long break.

I started with 78 parry I'd gained from grinding mobs for xp and gold the last few evenings. I equipped myself with several staffs and shields (npc quality). Turned out I only needed the one staff.

I reccomend you have 2 ways of healing, the sheep hit noticeably harder and faster as time goes by. I used bushido and healing. (56 and 69 respectively)

I tried first of all with just a shield equipped, went into war mode tagged all 7 sheep, tabbed out of combat and let them beat on me. The gain was very slow, about 0.3 in 10 mins, infact I got as much gain in anatomy and healing in this period. I then switched to a gnarled staff, and saw a slight improvement. Gains where slow to start, to the point I thought I must be doing something wrong. As time went by tho the sheep hit harder and faster and gains picked up. At first I was able to heal purely with confidence, but as time went by I was having to bandage too. By the time I was at it for about an hour, I was healing in addition to keeping confidence up almost all the time.

It took me just over 90 mins using this method to get from 78.3 to 100.

consumables used approx 175 bandages.
1x gnarled staff was at just under 50% durability when I finished.

Other gains

Bushido approx 1.0 (start 56.5)
Anatomy approx 1.5 (start 83.4)
Healing approx 3.5 (start 69.7)

Thanks to all the previous posters in this thread for your help and insights.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: belanos, guide, parrying