Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Draconi on Facebook:- UO Essay: Falling Trees

- - - - - draconi essay facebook falling trees uo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
Wed 20:14

Falling Trees

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Ultima Online is a big world, containing a myriad of virtual objects of every type and description. Animals, monsters, people, plants, and yes, trees too, all abound over nearly seventy million square meters of territory that exists merely as a figment of data in some server's RAM, dutifully backed up on a daily basis.

If UO is a persistent world, does everything keep going, even when players aren't there?

The short answer is: no, unfortunately not. A somewhat commonly known thing amongst our playerbase, for instance, is that mobiles (any dynamic object that can move: animals, monsters, NPCs) don't move when players aren't nearby. This "sleep" behavior was implemented some time ago in order to combat wasted CPU time that bogged down performance for the rest of the game.

The behavior itself is very simple to understand. Every mobile has its own basic AI loop that executes, sets a short delay, and starts over again. This allows every mobile to evaluate its current situation and respond to it, and then turn control of the CPU back over to the rest of the game.

In fact, these loops are very short, and we call them ticks or heartbeats. Rather than give every single object in the game its own individual share of the CPU, we have a main thread that runs as a loop as well, which gives short amounts of time to each object on an as needed basis.

Now, imagine a normal server, like Atlantic. There are over sixty thousand mobiles up and running, all potentially handling their AI loops at any given time. If every mobile tried to execute all the conditions and possibilities available to it, the game would take a gigantic hit in performance. Even worse, imagine if every mobile wanted to actually move.

And so, instead, if players aren’t within a certain distance, those mobiles just go to sleep, waiting for their time to shine.

This became a problem, though, while we were working on the Stygian Abyss expansion.

We wanted to do something we thought would be relatively simple. One of the newer dungeon levels has a series of tombs, each blocked by a gate, hooked to a lever in another room. When the lever is pulled, it should open the gate, releasing the monsters inside.

Now, normally, that means we just send a message to each monster saying "move down the corridor and get ready to meet the player in the main hallway."

So we pulled all the levers, eager to see the suddenly full hallway, and to our surprise, found the hallway quite empty. At least, for a moment! Suddenly the monsters came streaming from left and right, coming out of the tombs, now that someone was there to see them.

Even though we knew about the "sleep" mode for mobiles, we thought we could override it just by directly sending commands to them. This had worked in many other game systems added for live events, such as Sherry the Mouse, an NPC who had a full daily schedule of running around the castle, eating lunch in the kitchen, popping through mouseholes, and generally being cute.

It turns out, we were wrong! The only reason Sherry worked at all when players weren't around was because she could teleport when her movement checks failed, a failsafe originally designed to deal with griefers trying to trap her in the corner.

Ultimately, our resolution is a simple one: we've designed a flag that allows some mobiles to avoid the sleep system, which will be implemented in the new expansion. From here on out, parts of the world will come to life more than ever before, existing and evolving apart from the comings and goings of the average observer.

And while we may not be able to hear a tree chopped down in the woods, and least we know a horde of undead Gargoyles won't be standing idly by when you raid their tombs!

Posted Image
The southern portion of the tombs mentioned in the essay.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Very interesting read, altho I knew about things not moving, esp when you learn the lesson never recall away from your house when there is something standing in your recall spot to your home, lol

I wish they would share more stuff like this, not necessarily a game tip or preview, but just some behind the scenes stuff, even funny stories about how things came to be named or how certain decisions were made.

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
At least no one can say they aren't reaching out. Might not be World of Warcraft commercials sponsoring NBA games just yet, but Facebook and Twitter are hot to trot.

eva

eva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is really cool stuff.

I really enjoyed reading this...the players, we know why we play...but it inspires confidence to see what makes these guys and gals tick...why they keep making a world for us to play in.

As much as i gripe about client crashes and bugs, i'm back in UO because there is just something more here.

When I bought UO it was one of my first computer games ever. I remember I had a subscription to PC Gamer and CGW and I read a preview of the game and decided to try it when it came out. A few months later I got my issues with the reviews and they were just putrid...i mean, they ripped the game.

The UO Designers reaction? They created a slime in the game called "a J Wilson" after (I believe) Johnny Wilson, the reviewer who gave the game such a low score. I guess it spoke to their feelings about his character.

I always appreciated that story. I think what makes UO special is that (perhaps infrequently) a person comes into contact with this game and the people in it, and it changes their life.

Whatever J Wilson missed is what none of us did, and what none of the developers that are still devoted to this game did. As a fan, I'm glad to see this demonstration of dedication.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: draconi, essay, facebook, falling, trees, uo