Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Ultima Cycles

- - - - - cycles ultima

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Farsight, knowing your source is incredibly difficult these days, Luna being what it is, has killed most of the old ways of buying stuff.

The only people who sell person to person are scammers and spammers in Luna bank now.

That is the problem which needs to be overcome. There are people who prefer to do their selling face to face, and that is what makes the UP black market event so successful every month. I won't vouch for everyone who sells things at the market, but I do believe that most of the sellers are reliable.

There are also more than a few people in the alliance which we're both members of who hunt for high end products who avoid the sorts of people/groups who cheat. Those people are also good sources of gear.

It involves more work to get to know your suppliers, but in the end, I think it's worth it.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
If they killed Britain with the invasion years back, then anything is possible. Maybe it's Luna's turn to get the short-end of the stick. Flipping the apple cart that is all the Luna vendors would open up a lot of opportunity for players to vendor again. I remember when looking to buy something I'd travel all around to the various "malls" and specialty shops. Now, pretty much everything can be found in the WalMart that is inside Luna walls run by people who doing it for rl profit and snatching away a part of the game from actual players.

bebeangel

bebeangel

1.800.0oo.0o0o

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
I will admit I did not read all the replies.. but i think there is a HUGE differance beween AUTO bots, scripting, and hacking. HUGE!

There is nothing at all wrong with botting in any game to me. I was banned from Asherons Call for botting. I never 'cheated' just boted my character to raise it's levels. I would come home from work check out the bot and thought it was neat it got a ton of experience. Now I never did this in a quest area, I never sold things online, and I was banned for it. What did that do to help the community? All it did was lose a player who just liked to watch a character level up.

Hax are a completely different thing. Hax bad! Cheats Bad! 3rd party Hax no good!

Just my opinion. But if I bot or buy a character to super status - who cares?

But if I can kill you with HAX and you have no chance at all? That's not fair.

So if a guild owns all the spawns because of great orginzation skills... wow that sounds like real life. Good for them! If they own from hacking/3rd partys and no one who doesn't have the same hax has a chance.. well that's bad.

Players cannot fix hacking. Only devs can.

Players CAN fix camping/guild ownage/by organizing. But anyone wanting to put in that much time will usually do so for profit and not altruism.
I shall vest my flashing sword and flow a river forth to Thee, teeming with souls shall it ever be.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
well, I did it for altruism... in the end I got a better reward. =)

(... come visit Drachs if you want to check it out...)

I also spent 7 years in the major spawning guilds on 9 different shards... they all cheat... and bot (unattended)...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bebeangel

bebeangel

1.800.0oo.0o0o

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Please remember though, a "cheater" and a "botter" can be very different things the botter may not be doing "bad" things if just leveling skills.

And you are like a saint if you truly accomplished that. We hear tales but rarely ever encounter one. Nicely Done!
I shall vest my flashing sword and flow a river forth to Thee, teeming with souls shall it ever be.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
NO NO... I'm no Saint... I'm EBIL, EBIL!!!! :icon_evil:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bebeangel

bebeangel

1.800.0oo.0o0o

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
One main part of this topic was about Luna and Vendors. May I say as a returning player that finduo and searchuo are awesome? I wish there was an auction house and no travelling all over to find things. To me, player shops are bad... Auction house good.

Without using searchuo and finduo I could not have found AND bartered for some great deals. I would have no idea what prices people had items up for without 'wasting' (to me) hours and hours of my real life time runing around writing down the locations and prices of items I wanted to buy.

But I've never been a crafter either.. That may play a part in my feelings.

In some cases I bought items for millions less than the prices I saw for similiar items. My whole 'kit' I paid maybe 200,000 for. Similiar sets go for 3-5 mil. I don't get the price flux or how that's a benefit or how runing around the world looking for an item is fun.

BUT if only the richest players can put vendors in Luna and those websites only search in luna.. well thats bad!

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I don't mind player shops - it's a nice change.

But they ought to implement an in-game search for them, and allow you to recall/sacred journey from it to the house where the vendor is located.

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

How do you think we can fix this JC?

Allow UO to have inner scripts made by the players like in WoW?

You can't create scripts for WOW. What World of Warcraft allows you to do is modify the interface. This is the same ability added to Kingdom Reborn.

There are only 2 ways to stem the scripting problem. The first would be a actively through a program, such as Punkbuster, which can try to detect it. The second is passively through game design. Developing in a way which discourages scripting. Who is going to do 10,000 Heartwood quests making 100,000 stools for a Heartwood Runic Saw? No one. That is like putting a big sign up, "come here, script this".

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

bebeangel

bebeangel

1.800.0oo.0o0o

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
*Player shops with a search feature is still an auction house - so I like it!*

Remember that many poor PvP's think someone is cheating/scripting when they get 'owned' because they cannot face their own inner imanoobness. I've been called a cheater on WoW before and that was from using all allowed mods/stat boosters/item enchancements. Over time and from different websites much of how I played became common knowledge but there was a time when few understood all the mechanics and thought of some players as cheaters. When they were not.

Case in point, I'm back in WoW for 3 days now, 1800+ arena rating, most everyone I view? Sub 1000. Some people cry HAX instead of looking at themselves.

Then again, my friend gave me a cheat for Combat Arms long ago - and it was funny to just log in a room and destroy everyone - but I am sure that was no fun for people who took that FPS seriously. I don't like them and didn't care if was banned. Oddly I never was from that game?

I will always script/bot tedious things because I only have so much time in real life to play games and clicking a button to raise a skill - I don't find fun. I like using the skills.

Hacking, once again I would like to say - very bad. Ban them.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
The difference is that in WoW, if you're a pvp noob (like me!) you don't get bugs that cause you to lose your items.

But blizzard's authenticator app for iPod/iPhone? Pure genius. Basically it means I can't get hacked unless someone both keylogs me, and steals my iPod.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Cycle Broken on Drachs... we rocked the raiders.
Now working on Shard Unity...

Procedure started on Cats.

Next Sonoma and Pacific...

Posted Image
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
The booty, we be looting! Yarr!

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
From the looks of Drachenfels seems like a mana vamp would screw over a lot of people hehe. Guessing eXcess isn't the guild you're in Pitr? Looks like two dominant faction guilds, sort of similar to Origin, but Shadowlords sort of took over on Origin more so than Drachs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cycles, ultima