Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Thinking about returning to UO.

- - - - - returning thinking uo

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Guest_Gaius_*

Guest_Gaius_*
  • Guests
Ok so i've been away from UO for a few years now (just after powerscrolls were introduced)
I used to love being a pure mage and as their is so much changed (4 new skills at least which i have no idea about) i'm now wondering if it is still viable in PVP?
Also could anyone please reccomend a nice build that i could aim towards?
The new skills dont really interest me that much, i used to play catskills btw so hi to any of my old friends who may use this forum :)
Would anyone reccomend coming back to the game with PVP in mind?

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Welcome to the forums Gaius.

There's a few experienced PVP vets here who can answer that, but I think it's abit early for them to be on the forums, so stay tuned :)

Eli

Eli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Mages still rock for pvp... but you are probably going to have to alter your template a bit... I would suggest a wrestle/parry mage for pvp because it is a pretty basic template to relearn your mage on... it is also extremely easy to build a suit for... the skills would be as follows (When you can afford the scrolls) 120 magery, 120 evaluating intelligence, 120 magic resist, 120 parry, 120 meditation, and of course 120 wrestling... this template can be altered to fit your skill point cap and if you would like help with the variations and such on this template feel free to post back or pm me :☼).

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
dont need parry
wrestle/scribe
or wrestle/ninja
would be much better imo

expl fs deathstrike + animal forms to escape dismount + stun/disarm

really if you stack enough dci, and keep a hand free for pots (no shield) you will do fine and can allways disarm ppl
Posted Image

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
red pots are an absolute must unless you have chiv and 3/6 or better casting for divine fury/remove curse
Posted Image

Eli

Eli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I don't believe they wanted to use the new skills :☼)... was just trying to figure a basic template for them to relearn on... theres always room for template variations after. I chose the parry because in the beginning it can get frustrating against dexxers before you get the timing down is all.

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
well honestly u may be right then
play a wrestle/parry mage
i still say better off w/ scribe tho and pots
unless you're shard still has 90% archers...i find I do okay w/o parry these days
Id reccomend some chiv tho still like 60ish and atleast 3/6 casting...
then ur cleanse by fire will be faster than cure
still use mini heal and in vas mani' tho unless 4/6 mini heal faster than close wounds.
Posted Image

Damin

Damin

Don't Panic!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
Cutter, thanks for the advice it is better than all the *anti-gimp u dont wanna play that temp* we been getting

Guest_Gaius_*

Guest_Gaius_*
  • Guests
Thanks for the advice
I logged on yesterday and it wasn't pretty :( heh
I currently have 110 wrestling

Have i screwed something up though, in the past i could cast a spell while spamming another button (e.g explode, eb) but now it seems to cancel the initial spell first? Is this my fault or working as intended?

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
FC and FCR have been cut down to 2/6 for mages, it may have been alot higher when you played last. That could be the reason for your occurance. You need to let the Explo target cursor complete, then yes you can right away start another spell.

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
also they changed explosion. My favorite combo used to be cast an explosion, target...cast a second explosion but hold it...run in and stun target, THEN target held expl...and follow w/ a fs

they added a delay and you can no longer cast a second explosion right after targetting the first. However I have found that if you target first expl, then cast you're curse...or a fireball/magic arrow combo, you can cast the second expl after that, hold it, stun, then target.

Still works pretty well....but they did add that short delay between casting explosions.
Posted Image

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Or what I do on my mage is find the archers who dont use resist, then explo, para, explo, para, explo and so on.. Stun always is nice too, throw a poison, then stun, so they waste their heal on the poison, then explo stun. There is different combos but all the same result, an archer dies.. hehe..

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Damin, the reason people give the advice is because they dont want to see more people play the templates of the month, they want to see them learn the game and try to develop some actual "mind skill" and its always in a good ribbing, if they want to develop those gimp templates, then nobody will ever stop them, nobody pays for their accounts, so they are free to do what they want, its just advice. And by the way, Vys advice should be taken by everyone who even hears what he says. That guy probably knows more about pvp than anyone else on the game, hes led the biggest pvp guild on UO for longer than any guilds have been around in UO. Period. I have fought his guild on a daily basis for the last 2 years and have only ever even managed to score 2 kills on the guy, and I am by no means the best or near the best on the field. But I am an observer and learn from these things.

Vy

Vy

THE CULT OF THE OCTOPICKLE !

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
appreciate the words Bo. By all means do I not know everything that there is to know, but I've seen quite a bit in the game. :P

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
Well not everyone knows EVERYTHING, but the knowledge you possess is far more than anyone here knows, which is why people need to listen to your advice, whether you hate archers and evade mages or not. You may not like them, but people do make them, and everyone knows its their own choice, which is why nobody can stop them from making them. Its their own accounts and they pay for it. But if someone wants some advice on how to become a better pvper, and not just a quick hit killer, the advice is helpful.

I also have seen quite a bit, I may not have the coordination to be the greatest out there, but I am a student of the game as one may say. I can absorb soo much info and whether I can use it or not, well thats just my lack of being great at games, never have been a great gamer at any game, but I can use the info I learn to help others. You know how the saying goes, "you may be great at giving advice to others, but dont know how to use it on yourself". I die alot, I kill alot, it evens out in the end, I have taken advice and used some of it and ignored other parts of it. You just need to find what works for you.

Cutter-DB4

Cutter-DB4

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
i hate hate HATE evade mages in vamp form....gimpest template out there atm.
disarm them and they run chugging and doing confidence till full life then they go back to evading w/ their magi staff on and u cant hit em

Anyone know if a talisman of ward removal will take off somebodys vampiric embrace if you use it on them?
Posted Image

DeadlyWhisper

DeadlyWhisper

Former Napa, Newbie Atlantic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Soo Vy, I have recently heard that wrestle/scribe mages are on their way out. They may still have some effect in Pvp but, I was told that some of the better pvp temps now are Bushido/parry mage, Necro mage, and Ninjutsi mage. Whats your word on this???

DeadlyWhisper

DeadlyWhisper

Former Napa, Newbie Atlantic

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Bump! Anyone wanna answer this??

Posted Image

:grin: Living Life to the Fullest!!!:grin:

Adri

Adri

Wearing metal panties in a lightning storm

• Members
  • 6,179 posts
Um not too sure... but I want to say I really like your sig! lol

Guest_Bo_*

Guest_Bo_*
  • Guests
a bushido/mage or ninja/mage will get you laughed right off the field and forever be labeled a gimp and hated by all. The ones that are jumping on that wagon are the archers that got nerfed, but not quite as hated as the 4/6 chiv/mage. evade mages are becoming more hated than the WOD/Archer of last year. I have a guy in my guild who uses scribe, but has fencing instead of wrestle, and this guy is a machine. So I can very well see a fence/scribe/mage do really well on the field. I hope that helped some..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: returning, thinking, uo