Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

someone rate this taming suit

- - - - - rate suit taming

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
so I just built a new suit for my tamer, wondering how it stacks up to the suits of others out there:
every item slot is taken except for apron, so a crimmy could be added. No stats are on the robe, so it could be switched out for something too, and a boomstick is the weapon used.

Resists 70 70 70 70 70
DCI 41
LMC 33
LRC 100
3/6 casting
SDI 6
STR+4
INT+5
Mana+15
Stam +7
MR 7
HPR 3
taming +30
Lore +15
all medable and human-wearable
Pads of Cu Sidhe for human to ride a dog
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Good enough so I'm wondering how you managed to do it. ;)

Only weakness is 33 LMC instead of 40, but depending on your template, that might be just fine.

Belanos

Belanos

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Good enough so I'm wondering how you managed to do it. ;)

Only weakness is 33 LMC instead of 40, but depending on your template, that might be just fine.

it uses a taming Mark of Travesty, a Birds of Britannia, a Heart of the Lion, an Inquisitor's Resolution, a royal guard sash replica, and an orny, for artifact type items. Remaining slots are filled by crafted armor and a good tame ring.

no faction items either, so a faction orny could boost the MR up to 10
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Not bad. For a mage tamer though (what I normally run), I insist on 40 LMC and I prefer SDI up over 40 (not too hard to do). I also like 8-9 MR, but I have a couple mage type chars with 7 and it's workable. Love the 41 DCI, btw, always nice to have.:)

Belanos

Belanos

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
hrm, resists are good enough I can replace the heart of the lion with a different tunic, hopefully be able to get that last 7 lmc and another 2 mr, if I can get 13+ lrc with it then I can replace the boomstick with an SC DCI wep or a General spellbook and have a mega suit ^_^
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Question on the defenses side...all 70s + DCI vs. no penalty Mage Weapon + high-50s (my suit). Which is better? I've been using the latter, but looking at your suit, I'm thinking that a good spellbook + shield might be a better approach.

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
I run with 60+ on all resists, and 20-45 DCI on my mage tamers. I much prefer that to lower resists and a two handed mage weapon. My issue with the two handed mage weaps is they are sssslllllooooowwwww and by the very nature of the template, you will have low dex. Hence, you're not going to swing fast and thus won't hit much (especially with little to no HCI) and you ARE going to get hit...a lot lol.

Belanos

Belanos

• Members
  • 1,479 posts
my template is 90 taming (120 with items), 105 lore (120 with items), 110 vet, 100 meditation, 100 magery, 105 musicianship, and 110 peace (or 110 provo or disco, kept stoned when I don't need them). I don't have to defend myself much with this, since its mostly all kill and invis, with me mostly staying out of harms way. This isn't meant to be a pvp template - purely champs and peerless.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
That suit is terribad.....you just just give it to me, since it's so horrible ;)

chargar42

chargar42

&a mp; a mp; a mp; q uot ; Can Set Custo

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
My question is, why does a tamer need DCI since that wont transfer to your pet, and you stated u mostly invis anyway. Curious about this.

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

This isn't meant to be a pvp template - purely champs and peerless.

Aye, I didn't think it was. My preference is STILL to have the DCI even against mobs, though I rarely invis, preferring to fight alongside my pet lol.

Belanos

Belanos

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

My question is, why does a tamer need DCI since that wont transfer to your pet, and you stated u mostly invis anyway. Curious about this.

comfort value more than anything, but it still helps get off that invis when being targeted by a pissed-off monster.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

comfort value more than anything, but it still helps get off that invis when being targeted by a pissed-off monster.

Is there a calculator somewhere that shows your chance to be hit by a monster when you have x amount of weapon skill and/or x amount of dci? I've never been able to find one...I'd be curious to know what the numbers say on the defensive values of 120 weapon skill vs. no weapon skill + dci.

chargar42

chargar42

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
One thing I want to add, if a mage has protection cast on himself, which I do 100% of the time, your spells will never be stopped from a monster targeting you. Just remember that protection does lower phys resist and will need to change your suit accordingly. I still say that the suits created with barbed kits are far more superior than being "arty'd" up. Just my opinion.

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

One thing I want to add, if a mage has protection cast on himself, which I do 100% of the time, your spells will never be stopped from a monster targeting you. Just remember that protection does lower phys resist and will need to change your suit accordingly. I still say that the suits created with barbed kits are far more superior than being "arty'd" up. Just my opinion.

I used to run with protection all the time too, but I've been going without it lately, and I have to say it's way better IMO as long as you have 2 FC...you cast so much faster, you can usually get off the Invis between hits, and for keeping your greater healed, it's much better. YMMV of course, and if you're on a bad connection (as I was until recently), protection is probably better, but with peace + 2 FC, I actually die less than I did with protection on.

edit: just reread this, and holy crap I can't write today. I was advocating avoiding protection if possible. but you can't tell from reading it. ;)

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Personally, I think a mage running with Protection on except in the most specific circumstances is asking to get dead faster. JMO.

chargar42

chargar42

• Members
  • 1,151 posts

Personally, I think a mage running with Protection on except in the most specific circumstances is asking to get dead faster. JMO.

Y is that? Protection lets you cast your spells without the monster attacks preventing you from doing it. So, now I am confused. How can that get you dead faster. I am asking for myself, because I have advocated using this to alliance and if we shouldnt be, we need to know, but also need to know why. I also run reflective armor at all times. My suit that I have crafted keeps me at all 70 resists after these are cast. Thanks.

chargar42

chargar42

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
Sorry this thread has taken a different direction bel.

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Because protection takes your FC to 0. In other words...ssslllloooowwww. I'd rather have the ability to cast much faster even with the occasional fizz. Mobs cast at something like 4/6 or 6/6. Needless to say, by the time you heal with protection on, you have been, or are being, abused. Even if you try to invis, if you are revealed, they mana dump on you before you can re-invis or get heals off. Bottom line, it's just too slow to be useful (to me) in anything except VERY special situations. I'd rather trust my ability to take a fizz or two but cast MY spells at a much faster pace. Again, JMO...there are many playstyles in game and if it works for you....great.;) Remember, in one of my original comments I mentioned that I tend to support my pet...I cast offensive spells in support...so FC is VERY important to me. To me, being a mage tamer, one skill I consider vital is learning to time my casts to avoid interrupts.

Oh, and all my comments above are directed at PvM play. My comment is bolstered ten fold in PvP play, where the FC 0 absolutely prevents you from being anything other than an ATM for your opposition.

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Y is that? Protection lets you cast your spells without the monster attacks preventing you from doing it. So, now I am confused. How can that get you dead faster. I am asking for myself, because I have advocated using this to alliance and if we shouldnt be, we need to know, but also need to know why. I also run reflective armor at all times. My suit that I have crafted keeps me at all 70 resists after these are cast. Thanks.

Basically, no matter how much Faster Casting you have on your suit, you will *always* cast at FC 0 if you have protection on. It doesn't matter if you manage to stack FC 5 there, you'll still be casting at the slowest possible speed. Honestly, it seems like an excessive penalty to my mind, especially with the -Phys penalty to boot. But that's why.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rate, suit, taming