Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Follow up to hacked account.....

- - - - - account follow hacked

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Well, it has been over a month since my account was "hacked". See this thread for more information on the original circumstances....

http://www.uoforums....-me-hacked.html

Well today, FINALLY, I received full control of my account back. This has been a very long, drawn out process with email after email, phone calls, grief and what have you. In spite of my proof of ownership, EA threatened to close the account due to a "dispute" between two parties claiming ownership. It was ONLY my proof that I had been paying for the account for well over two years that enabled me to keep it. Definately a process I will NOT go through again over a game. Unfortunately, it HAS jaded my desires to play the game, though I will continue to do so at a severely reduced level.

Thanks to those who offered sympathy and advice, it was much appreciated. I lost absolutely nothing on the account, as LUCK, and timing, mitigated any long term damage. This was not an ordinary hack, but someone claming ownership that simply called EA and by providing minimal information received the account specifics (yeah EA, you freaking morons).

As a result of this, all I can offer to others is change your password frequently. Also, dial up EA customer "support" and request a secret word be placed on your account...with this no one can change the information (verbally) except you. Enjoy the game and hope like hell this never happens to you.

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
That seems to be what EA likes to do these days. If there is a dispute between two people they will just close down the account and no one can have it. Happened to a person in our guild. He had paid for the account for several years too.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England

Also, dial up EA customer "support" and request a secret word be placed on your account...with this no one can change the information (verbally) except you. Enjoy the game and hope like hell this never happens to you.

Congratulations on a positive outcome.I can imagine the frustration EA's actions must of had for you,but imagine if they hadnt of suspended it immediately whilst they sorted it out properly.It could of well passed into the wrong hands permanently.

Thanks for the good advice above.Seems a very wise thing to do

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

That seems to be what EA likes to do these days. If there is a dispute between two people they will just close down the account and no one can have it. Happened to a person in our guild. He had paid for the account for several years too.

Honestly, I think that's terrible.
It just underscores the need for better account security measures.
A security question is something at least, but other stuff could be added, perhaps a pin code anytime you wish to delete a character, or change the account details.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
I hate to bring up WoW here, but I have one of those authenticator dongles for my WoW/blizzard account, and it's 99% impossible to hack. Cost me ten bucks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: account, follow, hacked