Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Does UO need stronger account protection?

- - - - - account protection stronger uo

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
After reading the announcement that Battle.net accounts can now be protected with an additional layer of security via an iPhone, and not to mention the fact you can get a SecurID key fob for your WoW account, does UO need something similar, even if it were offered as an *option* for another dollar or few a month?

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
As someone who's lost their account themselves, yes, I'd be willing to pay an extra dollar or 2-3 a month to secure my account.

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
Yes it would be nice if they offered that device which generates the random numbers. At the very least they should force people to use the official transfer service, else you can always recover your account. Also change character deletion to take 72 hours or a week so if your account is hacked they can't delete everything.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts

Also change character deletion to take 72 hours or a week so if your account is hacked they can't delete everything.

Given that you can't delete a character that is less than one week old, all they'd have to do is rework that code for characters already existing with a timer. If people are hot and bothered to create a new char nownownow then additional character slots should be an easy sell, lol

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
I can't see this hurting in anyway. It gives folks another layer of protection.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
I'm not really bothered by it, but for people who live at home with other who use the same computer... the fact that your username for UO is displayed when you open UO is kind of a security risk. Good thing I'm the only one in my house who uses my computer...

Sure, you have to enter the password anyway, but still, it does give half the information away...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Using SecurID, your password changes 60 seconds.

How it works is you login as normal, but when you go to type your password, you type it in and then look at the key fob(about the size of a stick of gum which has a new number appearing on it's display every 60 seconds) and then type in the number(6 digits).

In actuality then, your password is your password plus the 6-digit number(that changes every 60 seconds).

This makes it extremely difficult for someone to steal your account, even if they get your password via a trojan as the number will change in seconds.

This technology is proven and has been around for a decade. Many corporations use this technology as a way to allow people to login to their corporate network from home or on the road.

Given that a customer losing their account is all but a guarantee they will then quit the game(and thus EA/Mythic losing the customer and $$$) *and* that it seems apparent players would be willing to pay a small, optional fee to protect their accounts with additional security, this seems like a no-brainer.

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

As someone who's lost their account themselves, yes, I'd be willing to pay an extra dollar or 2-3 a month to secure my account.

same here

JCtheBuilder

JCtheBuilder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

I'm not really bothered by it, but for people who live at home with other who use the same computer... the fact that your username for UO is displayed when you open UO is kind of a security risk.

UOAssist has an option to disable that.

UOGuide -- The best Ultima Online reference, better than the T2A manual!

Valen

Valen

PRC Founder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

This is interesting to me, because over the eight or so years I played I had several accounts and never *ever* had any issues with them. However, assuming this would follow the WoW model and be purely optional then I would have to agree with the fact that it can't hurt.

kitiara

kitiara

Polar Bear Queen

• Members
  • 3,769 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA
Absolutely yes. I'd pay extra. I'd have paid extra 2 years ago, too. We can only do so much to protect our accounts within the ancient legacy security system currently in place. Hell, I'd settle for being able to change my username. That would be an improvement.

jfk

jfk

Lost in the Abyss

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
Absolutely. This is long overdue in this game.

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I've never had a problem either, but I'm not waiting for it to happen to be a proponent of adding this option for a small fee, lol

This is interesting to me, because over the eight or so years I played I had several accounts and never *ever* had any issues with them. However, assuming this would follow the WoW model and be purely optional then I would have to agree with the fact that it can't hurt.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Blizzard takes a much more proactive approach to security, as well as recovering lost items, as they see it as a much bigger threat than EA does, I suppose.

Stolen accounts:
- become gold spammers.
- can run scripts to exploit and grief others.
- remove honest active players from your game.
- can give the game as a whole a bad reputation if it becomes rampant.
- take up customer support's time, thus costing the developer money.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: account, protection, stronger, uo