Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Returning player...which tamer template would you prefer for soloing hunting?

- - - - - hunting playerwhich prefer returning soloing tamer template

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Ultima77

Ultima77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Decided to dig out my old Tamer template and give him a whirl in light of the Greater Dragon addition. What are the benefits/negatives of the following templates, especially with regard to solo hunting with an Elf?

Template 1
Taming 110
Vet 110
Lore 110
Magery 110
Meditation 120
Evaluate 120
~50+ Necro (Wraith Form, Corpse Skin, Omen)

Template 2
Taming 110
Vet 110
Lore 110
Necro 110
SS 120
Magery 110
Rest into Med (Probably around 60-70)

Template 3
Taming 110
Vet 110
Lore 110
Magery 110
Eval 110
Spellweaving 120
20 Necro (to sustain Wraith Form)
Rest into Med (probably can squeeze around 50-60 with Spell Woven)

Thoughts?

ruaduck

ruaduck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
I went with a 110 Taming 110 Lore 110 Necro 110 SS 110 Magery 110 Eval and 60 vet. And then used jewels to res. with my suit having a good amount of MR and being human.

Ultima77

Ultima77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
How's that template working out for you?

I have one more templated I'm mulling over, but it's very much a skill-squeeze

Template 4
Taming 110
Lore 110
Vet 110
Music 120
Disco 120
Magery 100
Eval 100
Neco 20 (Wraith Form)

Yup, that's 790 (45 from jewels, 10 from Talism, 15 from conjurer`s grimoire)

Anewbe4u

Anewbe4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Why is Wraith form so important to you? You'll be so busy healing your GD agaisnt the high end stuff I doubt you'll have much time for offensive spells.

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
have 120 discord and 120 peacing, and keep one on a stone. this way when you need to tame something annoying (that likes to eat you) you can switch for a day.

Wraith Form is kinda nice for uninterrupted recall if your pet dies.

Ultima77

Ultima77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Why is Wraith form so important to you? You'll be so busy healing your GD agaisnt the high end stuff I doubt you'll have much time for offensive spells.

For some reason, I though Wraith Form's mana drain was independent of SS.

Mathena

Mathena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
I personally have spellweaving on my tamer. Being able to cast gift of renewal on the pet is huge when fighting a peerless or champ when you can't get near the dragon, takes a lot of heat of me trying to keep the dragon healed. Plus WOD does major damage with SDI and arcane empowerment. I can typically do 500-600 pts of damage.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ultima77

Ultima77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I personally have spellweaving on my tamer. Being able to cast gift of renewal on the pet is huge when fighting a peerless or champ when you can't get near the dragon, takes a lot of heat of me trying to keep the dragon healed. Plus WOD does major damage with SDI and arcane empowerment. I can typically do 500-600 pts of damage.

Yeah, I may be leaning towards this or the Necro/Mage/Tamer.

One last template I was mulling over...let me know if it's feasible.

110 Taming
110 Lore
100 Vet
120 Music
120 Disco
120 Peace
100 Magery
-----
780...it's a point squeeze, but possible

May

May

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Mathena!

Might I ask about your template? Me's pondering about weaving since a few weeks, but with taming, lore, vet, magery, eval and med there's not much room left. Taming and lore will be hopefully 120 some day (if I get my hands on such fancy white scrolls), they are 115/110 at the moment (real skill). Is vet 120 worth the points? Atm 110 real, again no scroll to get it higher. Mag/eval/med are around GM level, skillcap is 715. What would you suggest?

TIA, Triss / Europa

uobuoy

uobuoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hello Mathena!

Might I ask about your template? Me's pondering about weaving since a few weeks, but with taming, lore, vet, magery, eval and med there's not much room left. Taming and lore will be hopefully 120 some day (if I get my hands on such fancy white scrolls), they are 115/110 at the moment (real skill). Is vet 120 worth the points? Atm 110 real, again no scroll to get it higher. Mag/eval/med are around GM level, skillcap is 715. What would you suggest?

TIA, Triss / Europa

Regarding Vet...if you use Enhanced Bandages, you add 10.0 points to your effective Vet skill. So at 110.0, you Vet at 120.0 if you have a 120 scroll. Does not apply to Rez.

Regarding Spell Weaving...I have the skill Stoned because I find it so hard to get enough of the right Weavers together to make a decent focus.

For my money a tamer must have access to Music, Disco, Peace and Magery. Music because you need it for Disco and Peace. Disco because a Discoed critter hits you less while taming, a Discoed pet trains up much faster and your pets can do a lot more damage to a Discoed target. Peace helps in taming biters and controlling mobs. Magery for gating newly tamed pets you can't ride and long distance pet healing.

Tamers Rule!

Gantry

Gantry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Another good template for solo hunting is a stealth tamer. Your totally dependent on your pet for offensive damage, but with a greater dragon isn't too big a deal. Template might look something like this:

110 taming
110 lore
110 vet
110 hiding
110 stealth
100 magery
50 ninjitsu

Once your pet is fighting you can use vet to keep it healed which will reveal you. If a monster changes to attack you, thats where you can use an egg bomb with the 50 ninjitsu to hide again.

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
You can't have 110 Hiding, fwiw.

I'm doing something similar though, on my tamer, for (what I hope will be) a rounded PVP/PVM template:

105 Taming
105 Lore (+Birds of Brit to bring both to 110)
80 Vet
120 Magery (w/ mage weapon for PvP)
70 Meditation
100 Hiding
80 Stealth
60 Ninja

Since Hiding, Stealth, and Ninja add up to 240, I'm also planning on having 120 Music/Discord on soulstones for pure PvM trammel play.

Gantry

Gantry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you for the correction on hiding..whoops:) I do like the mage wep thing too and have that on a tamer for pvp as well. So many ideas so few chars lol.

May

May

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the hints!

For my money a tamer must have access to Music, Disco, Peace and Magery.

So you rely on your pets exclusively with no offensive magery? Hmm, sounds a bit complicated to me. But I think thats because me was a pure mage/scribe before and my playstyle shows that. I'm usually cast a lot offensive spells trying to outdamage my pets, hehe :P.

And for some reason, I'm enjoing the taming process more than the hunt. (Well, not bull taming ofc). Mind if you take me on a short hunt to show me your tactics? I'll just make a new char on your shard and watch, doesnt matter if the world is b/w or I'm alive.

Tamers Rule!

Aye, indeed!

Triss

Nero Blackraven

Nero Blackraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Yeah, I may be leaning towards this or the Necro/Mage/Tamer.

One last template I was mulling over...let me know if it's feasible.

110 Taming
110 Lore
100 Vet
120 Music
120 Disco
120 Peace
100 Magery
-----
780...it's a point squeeze, but possible

That is the template I use ... but I am thinking of stoning off peacing and putting it back on only when I am taming new pets. I just dunno what to add in place of it.

Nero Blackraven

Nero Blackraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Another good template for solo hunting is a stealth tamer. Your totally dependent on your pet for offensive damage, but with a greater dragon isn't too big a deal. Template might look something like this:

110 taming
110 lore
110 vet
110 hiding
110 stealth
100 magery
50 ninjitsu

Once your pet is fighting you can use vet to keep it healed which will reveal you. If a monster changes to attack you, thats where you can use an egg bomb with the 50 ninjitsu to hide again.

I have something a bit different but I use chiv and archery with tactics instead of magery and then I compensate crazily with gear like hunter's and those stealth leggings and arms of tactical excellence with the most points I can find on rings and bracelets. It is ton of fun smokebombing out of a mob and if you die you can always stealth back to your body for your stuff.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hunting, playerwhich, prefer, returning, soloing, tamer, template