Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Bunch of noob Questions..

- - - - - bunch noob questions

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Monarch

Monarch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
It's me, finally playing UO:KR for the first time! note: idk why, but back in the time i've played almost evry mmo starting with EQ1 and meridian.. but somehow i never stopped by at UO :) now its the time to!

i have some basic questions, i couldnt find any quick answer in the web or here in the forum. maybe because those questions are so extremely "low" that anybody could answer me them. UO is not noob-friendly i guess..

1) how do i obtain new spells as a mage? i have zero from the startup, no fireball, nothing.. err!? :o just a fenzy magic-missile scroll which caused me death trying to tickle a zombie with it.

2) are there different ways to push skills faster? for example wrestling, that ive been told to raise at the new heaven graveyard. unfortunatelly i die veryvery often fighting some skelets/zombies and do almost no dmg.. AND raising almost no %. is this normal?

3) is there no animation for the skill "meditation"? every time i click on it, it says "you are at peace" - what does this mean?? i mean i'm between monsters and this appears and even in town. so in the end nothing happens when i try to use it. when i look at the % it slowly increases by just standing still at one point doing nothing. what am i doing wrong/right? :huh

4) ive seen there are several keyboard-commands, but none of them are working for me? F1 for "select self", ESC, etc nothing works. why?

5) is there an option to get the music-looped? when i'm in town and outdoors it often happens that there is no music, no sound .. maybe just some dog-bark-loop which is quiet annoying. =)

6) why am i not able to pickup "spider silk" or other things that just lay on the ground? do i need some sort of skill to do this?

7) how far do i have to run, to loose a monster which is hunting me?

hope you can help me!

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
1. When you start out with mage as a starting skill, you should have a spellbook with 15 spells in it. Fireball is one of those spells.

2. You can buy level 1-4 spells from the magic shop on the north side of New Haven (as well as reagents), but you have to either loot the higher circle spells from monsters or buy a full spell book from another player. Buying is quicker and easier. Ask around, I'm sure someone will hook you up.

3. Active meditation makes you regenerate your mana more quickly. If you are already at full mana, it gives you the "You are at peace" message. It's easier to set meditation to up and ignore it for skill gain, only using the skill when your mana is almost up.

4, 5. I can't help with those, I dont use the KR client.

6. You should be able to pick them up. Just click on them and drag them. When you can't do that (spider silk in particular can be difficult), try doing the same with holding down shift and control at the same time then dragging the bar which shows up with the name "spiders silk."

Zilvra

Zilvra

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of UO!
What shard are you playing?
"Feel me, I crawl inside your veins
Give in, consuming what remains
I am, the one that you adore
You know, that you've been here before"

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,647 posts
I can answer a few questions. Others seem to be KR specific which I have very little knowledge of since I still play 2d.

1. You can start by going to a mage shop and buying scrolls. You can find NPC mages who will sell up to fourth circle scrolls. Typically, there will be one or two at the New Haven mage shop selling all scrolls up to 4th circle. As for the rest, you can find them on magic casting creatures or find someone with inscription to scribe them.

2. You can buy training in skills at New Haven. Many skills you can buy training up to 40. There are also quests you can do which will accelerate your skill gain until you reach 50 in that skill. Often, this will require you to use the skill in Old Haven, battling undead there. For instance, while on a quest to train combat skills, you'll get accelerated gains while fighting in Old Haven. As for staying alive, the easiest way is to find good armor. Often, more established players will leave armor lying around Haven. Grab what you can and look at your resists. The main one to focus on early on is physical. The typical cap for physical resist is 70, so the closer you get to it the less damage you'll take in combat. I often make training suits for new characters on my tailor, giving them 70 physical resist. You might be able to find a vet tailor to do the same for you. It will make a big difference.

3. Meditation is the primary skill that restores your mana. There is passive meditation and active meditation. No matter what you do, the meditation skill will restore mana that you have used. The higher the med, the faster it restores it. You can, however, stand completely still and actively meditate to regain mana quicker. You will also need to be wearing lighter armors (leather, mage armor, etc.) in order to actively meditate. Now if you are at full mana and try to meditate, it will say you are at peace.

7. This sort of depends on the circumstances. Typically if you are able to get off-screen a good distance the monster will stop chasing you. Monsters don't normally move unless there is a player on-screen with them. There are some monsters which are very fast and can chase down players on foot, but you probably won't have to worry about them early on unless you venture into the more dangerous territories of Ilshenar. Nevertheless, having a steed is very handy in escaping monsters. Also, the invisibility spell or the hiding skill can be life savers when trying to escape monsters.

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
Welcome.

If you're having trouble with KR, try the 2d "legacy" client.

-Galen's player

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
[quote name='Monarch'] 1) how do i obtain new spells as a mage? i have zero from the startup, no fireball, nothing.. err!? :o just a fenzy magic-missile scroll which caused me death trying to tickle a zombie with it.[/quote]

You can buy scrolls from NPC mages in magic shops and drop them in your spell book. There are 8 Circles(or levels) of 8 spells(64 in all), each requiring higher levels of Magery to cast successfully. You can also find scrolls on some monsters as loot or in treasure chests. However, the easiest way is likely going to be to buy one from a player who has Inscription skill or from their vendor. One way to do this is go to a large city and offer to buy a full spellbook. Expect to pay a few thousand gold. Some spellbooks have extra properties for added damage, faster casting, etc. but cost more, especially for certain properties. Just starting out, I'd stick with a cheaper, no-frills version.

[quote name='Monarch']2) are there different ways to push skills faster? for example wrestling, that ive been told to raise at the new heaven graveyard. unfortunatelly i die veryvery often fighting some skelets/zombies and do almost no dmg.. AND raising almost no %. is this normal?[/quote]

I'd work on getting some leather armor and working up Magery skill a bit so you can cast Greater Heal(4th Circle spell). This will help you train faster. Also, I'd say Wrestling is a lower priority than getting your Magery up. If you want to primarily be a mage, you also want to make sure the little arrows are pointed up for Meditation and Evaluating Intelligence. You only really need Wrestling if you want to fight other players, and even then it's debatable to have instead of other skills.

[quote name='Monarch']3) is there no animation for the skill "meditation"? every time i click on it, it says "you are at peace" - what does this mean?? i mean i'm between monsters and this appears and even in town. so in the end nothing happens when i try to use it. when i look at the % it slowly increases by just standing still at one point doing nothing. what am i doing wrong/right? :huh[/quote]

Correct, there is no animation, only a sound. Meditation helps regenerate your mana so you can cast spells. The higher your Med, the faster it regenerates your mana "passively"(you don't have to do anything). When you activate the skill, known as medding actively, the regeneration rate is even higher. Also, the higher your Med skill, the better chance you can med actively. If you fail to do it actively, you have to wait 10 seconds before you can try again but will still med passively automatically. Also, you cannot actively med if you are already at full mana. Usually, if people are working on Magery skill, they'll easily get to 100 Med without even trying, just getting skill gains from the passive med.

[quote name='Monarch']4) ive seen there are several keyboard-commands, but none of them are working for me? F1 for "select self", ESC, etc nothing works. why?[/quote]

Are you using the Kingdom Reborn(KR for short) client? If so, I'm not the expert on that.

[quote name='Monarch']5) is there an option to get the music-looped? when i'm in town and outdoors it often happens that there is no music, no sound .. maybe just some dog-bark-loop which is quiet annoying. =)[/quote]

Again, I'm assuming youre using KR client, which I don't know much about. If youre using the old "2D" client, open your Paperdoll, click Options and then click the tab with the little horn/bugle icon to adjust sound and music settings.

[quote name='Monarch']6) why am i not able to pickup "spider silk" or other things that just lay on the ground? do i need some sort of skill to do this?[quote name='Monarch']

You should be able to pick up reagents(regs for short) laying on the ground. Different spells require different reagents to cast. You will use a lot of regs training Magery. If you are polite and honest, some kind player on your shard *might* give you what's called a 100% LRC suit, which is basically a set of leather armor parts they have put together to form a set where the person wearing it does not have to bother with regs. Normally, they can cost quite a bit of gold for a new player and for really high-end suits used in PvP they can cost millions and millions.

[quote name='Monarch']7) how far do i have to run, to loose a monster which is hunting me?[/quote]

Depends on the monster, but for most it's 3 or 4 screens. Really smart and powerful monsters(a dragon, for example) won't let you off the hook so easily and you will have to run much further.

What shard are you on??

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
lol, I hit Post Reply and find there's several responses already, glad to see everyone is interested in helping new UO players :)

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
Monarch Welcome to UO and UOForums!
Not only will you recieve great help here, but you can get tremendous info at UOGuide.com

Also a great guide for KR client made by The Syndicate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Monarch

Monarch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
thanks so much :-)

ohh and i thought meditate also regenerates HEALTH! of course my mana-bar was always full! wonder why? because i cant find any spellbook in KR :lol: theres nothing in the list. just "skills", thats where i looked first and asked "why there no spells in" :D

are there less KR-players? i thought kr would be popular than the original. i must say i like the grafics of the new one.

by the way i'm on drachenfels :-) i think i'll get used to the game mechanis. in any other game it went pretty fast.

Mages in leather armor? what? :D

PS: is there any site like "warcraftmovies.com" for UO? a site which lots of UO-videos.. PVP,PVE,Guilds and stuff.. would be very cool!

Edit: great site that 1 with the guides :thumbsup:

Monarch

Monarch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
muaahh and the "spellbook" is no extra option window like "skills" it was in my inventory :laugh:

sorry for that one

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Are you in Europe? Drachenfels and Europa are the servers located in Europe. If youre in the USA, you'll likely want to choose a server located there. Chesapeake, Atlantic, Catskills, etc. are on the east coast while Pacific, Sonoma, Napa Valley, etc. are on the west coast.

onthefifty

onthefifty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
what shard are u on?

Monarch

Monarch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i'm german, this is why ive picked Drachenfels. Yes.

u guys told me to buy spells? i never really found any merchant in new heaven where i can sell my stuff ive looted. am i blind? or is trading here different compared to other mmos? :X

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts
find the mage npc clustered with the med/resist/etc guys in the two floor building and the mage should sell scrolls when you say vendor buy over there

good thing youre not on origin, they dont sell anything on player vendors there ;D

i think the easiest way to get some starter scrolls is to kill imps, but i wonder if the spectrals in old haven give scrolls, i forget...then i graduated to titans and then demons, but titans are easier i think...

all i wanted was a blade spirit scroll sniffle :)

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
I'm on Drachenfels too, so if you're online at the moment, just come to the Bank in New Haven and I hook you up with a full spellbook and a few other things that will make you start easier :)

Chloe la Mare

Chloe la Mare

Diminished Responsibility and Ginger.. Apparently..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
not sure if you have found out yet. But when you get a new spell scroll you have to drop it into your spellbook. If you just click it you will use it and it wont appear in your spell book.

Are you still young? When i was young to make gold i would go to Cyclops vally. It has Cyclops warrior and titans. They dont attack you unless you attack them because its not a dungeon. I would take Blade Spirit scrolls with me until i could cast the level 5 spell. Cast Blade Spirit and watch them take down the monsters then loot the goodies :D and unless you attack them, they wont hurt you until you loose your young status.

If you ever pay Europa a visit lemme know :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vesper Milita

Monarch

Monarch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey Merion that would be great. Yea, if you could whisp me or something? i didnt figured out how to interact with other players yet. That would be very cool ;) i'm in new heaven right now. My mages name is Collapse

What does it mean to be "young" anyway? are there no "levels" in UO just xp-titels like "young", "rookie" or some like that?

Chloe la Mare

Chloe la Mare

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Look here for a quick guide to interacting and how to bring up thing using keyboard short cuts: http://www.uoherald....newplayer02.php

Taken from: http://www.uoherald....ide/start16.php

Talking to Others
Most of your communication in Ultima Online will be done by "talking" or by way of normal communication. In UO, speaking to other players is as simple as typing. Whatever you type on your keyboard will appear above your character's head. Your speech will be heard (seen) by anyone on the same screen. There are also chat and messenger features you can use. There are additional keystrokes that allow you to use speech in specific ways; to yell or to whisper.

Emote - Voice inflection is not easily translated by typing; however, UO allows you to emote your feelings. By typing a colon ":" followed by a space, your text entry will be emoted. Your "emote" will be surrounded by asterisks and will be a different color than your normal speech. Emotes (emotions) allow you to suggest an action that your character is doing to immerse yourself in the environment. *kicks dirt* *twirls hair* *sighs* Many players also set up macros for common emotes, such as smiles, laughs, grins, frowns, etc.

Whisper - Use a semi-colon ";" followed by a space (e.g., ; Psst, wanna buy a chicken?). Whispered text can only be "heard" by characters immediately adjacent to you.

Yell - Use an exclamation point "!" followed by a space (e.g., ! HELP!). Yelled text can be "heard" by any character up to a screen and a half away.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vesper Milita

Chloe la Mare

Chloe la Mare

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
few things that are missing:

Party.
You can invite someone to party with you by typing /add then targeting with the curser who you with to party.
If someone invites you to a party, then you will see an invite on you screen type /accept to join the party.
This mean that only people can hear what you say whilst talking in party type "/" then a space then your party message. They do not have to been onscreen to hear you

Guild/Alliance chat

Once you find a guild you can chat with them via guild chat. This is by typing "\" like party only your guild can see you text. Alliances chat is "|" this is when a guild forms an alliances with another guild(s) it means you can talk to all guilds in the alliances.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vesper Milita

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts

What does it mean to be "young" anyway? are there no "levels" in UO just xp-titels like "young", "rookie" or some like that?

"Young" is a special tag attached to new players for their first 40 hours of gameplay. During this time, most monsters will ignore you unless you attack the first. This is helpful as you explore the world as well as not getting in over your head by accident(if you attack 5 orcs all at once on purpose, that is your own doing, lol)

Also, while "young" you cannot go to the Felucca facet, which is the part of the world where anyone can attack anyone at any time.

I highly recommend going through the new player quests in the town you start out in called New Haven. The quests help you understand how the game works as well as giving nice reward items for completing them. You'll also have the new player bonus ability of increased skillgain(once you get out of this new stage, skillgain slows down).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bunch, noob, questions