Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Save RP on Europa!

- - - - - europa rp save

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Gerek Darkheart

Gerek Darkheart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Original post from F4g:
"Okay. Let's face it. We're not enough RP players anymore to keep RP alive in the whole area of Sosaria. Some guilds do fine by its own, others don't. This is mainly a starters thread to a discussion what people think would be the best solutions. I'm sure it's been up before to move the RP to different smaller areas, but really haven't we come to the point yet where this should be excutable? Are people still too proud to give up their RP places to gather at one?

On this board I want people suggestions on what to do. I'll be pissed off if anyone just writes "move to this and that". Instead come with creative ideas how to solve it and explain why we should chose the area you say. If we don't do anything soon enough, I'm sure it will come to an end on the Europa shard.

I've contacted a few GMs on Catskills and see what they thought about moving RP shardwise. You may also give an opinion on this. And what shard you'd think be the best one to move now. And try to answer so unselfish as possible. Answer the way that would be best for UOs littered RP community.

We should really cherish the RP we have in UO as you won't find it anywhere else. And believe me I've been looking. After all it's what makes me return to UO each and every time."

A discussion about Europas RP is taking place on f4g forums:
http://www.f4g.net/d...-rp-europa.html

Also I mentioned it to the atlantic roleplaying community which started a discussion there aswell:
http://www.atlanticc...pic.php?t=19845

Feel free to discuss the issue here aswell. (I did not know this forum was more active than f4gs. Therefore I posted on f4g first =( )

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
It has happened before, and is the one of the reasons that I'm on Catskills and not on Europa.

But now that I'm on Catskills, I'm unwilling to move to a new shard on a full time basis.
Here's why:
1. My stuff. Quite frankly, I don't make enough gold to make transferring to another shard easy. I've now spent a couple of years accumulating my things, and wouldn't want to lose the bells and whistles that makes high end content possible.
2. My property. Right now, I live in a bustling village on Catskills and own a house there. If I were to move to another shard, I would also want to have a house on the new shard. That would mean losing my houses on Catskills.
3. New rules and regulations. It isn't easy to go from a place where I can use whatever gear I want (as long as it fits the character) to a place where even +skill jewelery is frowned upon. When we proposed making a similar change to gear on Catskills, my first response was, "There's no way I'll be an archer without SSI on my bows."
4. Previous experience roleplaying on Europa. I don't know how the community is now, but in my last trip to Europa (when my lag to Cats was too horrible), I couldn't get so much as the time of day from most of the Europa roleplayers I ran into, let alone get involved with what was going on. That only changed when I found out that I knew someone who knew someone who convinced people to warm up to me. Admittedly, this is a problem with RP communities as a whole in UO(including... especially, our own Catskills RP circle), and the issue that needs to be addressed first and NOW by every shard's RP circles. We could put all the books, runes and colored cloths in the world out, but it won't get our members to play with the new people. And that is a huge turn-off.

But the biggest reason I'm sticking to Catskills is my contacts in the non-RP community. I love the people of Catskills, or love-to-hate other people in Catskills. Every time I play Europa or Drachenfels (I do play both shards), I wind up missing my friends on Cats. So unless they stop playing or the entire shard decides to move, I'll be sticking to Cats for the majority of my time.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
jal dosst characters ph'wund'akh ulu udossa!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rabid Bogling

Rabid Bogling

A Pinball Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
Durka durka.

Previous experience roleplaying on Europa. I don't know how the community is now, but in my last trip to Europa (when my lag to Cats was too horrible), I couldn't get so much as the time of day from most of the Europa roleplayers I ran into, let alone get involved with what was going on.

There'd probably have been a reason for that. If you give an example, I'm sure I could pluck up an explaination. That said, the simple answer is usually correct. You'd have been unguilded. A position that some people have a habit of exploiting, that subsequently affords you little involvement.

That only changed when I found out that I knew someone who knew someone who convinced people to warm up to me. Admittedly, this is a problem with RP communities as a whole in UO(including... especially, our own Catskills RP circle), and the issue that needs to be addressed first and NOW by every shard's RP circles. We could put all the books, runes and colored cloths in the world out, but it won't get our members to play with the new people. And that is a huge turn-off.

Sounds like a simple question of cliques. This isn't a roleplayers' problem. It's a players' problem, plain and simple.

Van Cocidius

Van Cocidius

The World Is Mine

• Members
  • 4,221 posts
My God this thread is a bad advertisment for Europa.. I'm quite embarrased now, was fine to keep it on f4g because not many outsiders read it. The RP on Europa is far from dying, the main cause of this post was to start a new project where we'd all come together in one town. RP on Europa isn't as vibrant as it was 5 years ago, but it's still good. The civil war in Vesper is able to get easily between 25 - 35 people on when asked.. which is a problem - when asked.

Someone change the name of this thread 'eh?

Posted Image

Lady Flame (DrR)

Lady Flame (DrR)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
I hope I am not stepping on anyones toes replying on this thread, as I am not a guilded 100% RPer. But just a thought from past experiance, why not use the EM events as a tool to getting more people in the same place from all differant RP communities, reacting with each other. This might not only have a possitive effect on Europas RP community but may also act as an advertisment to others on the shard.
Posted Image

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
It's very shocking to me that RP on Europa needs to be "saved" at all...Based on posts and screencaps I'd have guessed it was quite vibrant.

If Europa RP needs to be "saved," then damn....RPs' dead game-wide!

-Galen's player

Raziel Von Sahyn

Raziel Von Sahyn

Militiaman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
RP on europa is not dead. There are plenty of active guilds BoC -V- DoT Grd VTC to name the most active.

Chloe la Mare

Chloe la Mare

Diminished Responsibility and Ginger.. Apparently..

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Yes Rp on Europe isnt like its glory days. But i dont think it really needs saving. The smaller community reflects directly on the player base of our shard. People are leaving UO therefore communities will grow smaller. With SA who knows, it may grow again..

But that does not mean Rp on Europa is dead. Cival war has broken out in Vesper. We have events pretty much everynight..

i personally wouldnt move shards.. This idea has been thrown around alot in the past, but nobody has every thought that it will happen. Its too expensive to move shards. It would be a shame to loose our player run towns aswell. Vesper wouldnt really be Vesper if we moved shards and lived in Malas...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Vesper Milita

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts
I also dont want to step on anyones toes here.. But I'll tell you my reasons for not returning.

1, Lack of people compared to when i was really rping alot. Its still alive.. but the legs are cut off so to speak. This is the biggest reason for me since I wont activate my account to "play" UO. I've done it all.

2, RP community turned to such Item based play. We were proud not to have magic items.. but instead people crafted the best out of the best GM suits. Used the best weapons.. People didnt think of that maybe my char aint really suitable for this armor/weapons. With the armor.. towards the end.. I was one of these that went for best armor i could wear and spend 100ks to get it. But it was a way for me to defend myself since everyone and their aunts had Archery... way and behold since that was the Flavor of the month and did most dmg. The rest that still were melee had poisoning.. no matter what kind of char it was.

3, Yes Templates.. EVERYONE had insane templates and the best you could have.. depending on what was said in patchnotes. My chars were always Mages.. Demos always had Necro since of what he was. Geronimo i changed my 6th and 7th skill alot to find something I liked.. But still his templates were far from best since he was a Mage. Mage was terrible hard to play well in RP pvp when everyone started to use Flavor of the Month templates. The fights the last weeks i played was crazy.. poison.. cure pot, poison, cure pot - fail- cure pot - fail- cure pot...posion.. Great fun...

These are the main reasons I dont play.

How to change?

First use a template and skills that fits your character.. Fit the armor/weapons to this as well.

Second, do as Flame said.. to get more interaction.. join forces at something more evil than Grd.. or Civil war.. Get more interaction that way.

///
Gnomy the Legendary Crotch Biter

Posted Image

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
Based on screencaps and posts.....You're all still quite vibrant and appear to have little to fret over.

Compare your shard to, say, LS and....Heh. Just trust me.

-Galen's player

Sineal Walker

Sineal Walker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Heh, mage is one of most powerful RPvP templates when played well. There's a reason CoY used to limit guilds to 2 mages per battle - people like Eiji could easily take on 5 decent melee chars alone. Although I agree that chivalry archer is also a gimpy template, along with necro.

But, yeah, I wouldn't say Europa RP needed saving at all. There's room for improvement but then there always is. And despite Atlantic's claims to be a superiour RP server to Europa, I think most in the Europa community wouldn't trade the immersion, depth and realism of our community for a massively populated high fantasy environment. Quality, not quantity, and all that.

Gnomy

Gnomy

Forum Legend

• Members
  • 4,946 posts

Heh, mage is one of most powerful RPvP templates when played well.

Agree to 100%, But how many are those ? Few of us that created a good name on Magetemplates.. But the best template must be Chiv archer or Chiv/poison/sword/fenc.

Posted Image

Sineal Walker

Sineal Walker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Yeah it's not like mages are automatically powerful, but they have a lot more potential than most melee classes. Posioners also are very strong in the right hands but I can generally cure pot through it whereas mages have the potential to floor me with the right combo, and also have the range advantage. Although, I haven't encountered a chiv posioner before so maybe that would make a difference.

On reflection I probably agree with you on chiv archer. I've just not encountered them that often, and mages have always been the biggest threat on the battlefield for me.

Lady Flame (DrR)

Lady Flame (DrR)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
please dont missunderstand what I was suggesting, I was not trying to say use EM events instead of whats going on in the RP community, but rather as well as. I too have noticed a decline in the RP community as an ousider so to speak, but there is also a declin in players within UO too. As for unbalance within the RP community this again is not limited to just the RP community but UO as a whole. It has got to a point where the developers are readdressing the game balance and trying to use deminished returns.
Posted Image

Edmund Fairholm

Edmund Fairholm

MoongatesWiki Curator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I think Flame has a point here. It's probably a correct observation that the player base has gotten smaller over the course or the past few years, and quite noticeably so over the past six months. I also think it's a correct observation that this is not specific for the Europa role-playing community; it's a decrease in players in general on Europa, and probably also on other shards.

The Europa RP community has been one of the most steadfast establishments in UO since the beginning, and there are -- contrary to belief -- still hundreds of players left. One quick look at the guild MyUO overview documents this.

There are a lot of interesting plots, and the larger guilds are doing reasonably well, considering the limited number of players.

On another note: I am sceptical towards the changes the developers in EA/Mythic have done so far. The thing that worries me most is the lack of UO history amongst the developers. I personally think it would be a refreshing change to focus on the core ideals of the Ultima game, and enhancing them. Instead, there are elements added with absolutely no reference in the Ultima universe at all.

I think the forthcoming EM campaigns are very promising, and I am sure the shard EMs are better at listening to the shards population than the devs are. It's not goal for UO that the shards have the same look and feel; it's the diversity of the shards that should be highlighted.

A cross-shard moongate would be a splendid addition, I think, with the consequent removal of several shards -- both for saving expenses and for creating a larger community.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: europa, rp, save