Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

11th Year Collection of Items

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
We know that many of you have been asking about the delay of the 11th Year Collection of Items. There have been some escalating technical difficulties and we're working on getting them resolved as soon as we can. We are expecting that they will be available in the coming weeks. We apologize for the delay and we’ll do our best to keep you updated through the UOGamecodes website.

More...

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
What were they again? I forgot. Probably can't afford them anyway.

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
http://chaos-spell.n...thread.php?t=53

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I'm confused...aren't those already available? I could swear I've seen screenshots of the fallen log, at least.

~M

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
They have been out on the Japan shards for a while. Some have made the cross-shard journey to other shards.

I happened to pick-up a replica hitching post. Man I've wanted a hitching post since I bought my first home 11 years ago!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
So I guess Academic Books are about to become an obscure rare rather than a hot rare, lol

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

So I guess Academic Books are about to become an obscure rare rather than a hot rare, lol

Not sure how I feel about having a craft item where the main ingredient only spawns once a day. And I need like 6 or 8 of those bookcases!:o

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

onthefifty

onthefifty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Not sure how I feel about having a craft item where the main ingredient only spawns once a day. And I need like 6 or 8 of those bookcases!:o

rome wasn't built in a day...

Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir

Reporter/Librarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Try once a WEEK...

I run a library and need about a dozzen.

Im'n not impressed with EA/Mythic's obvious shortsightedness on the academic book issue... They should spawn in multiple places rather frequently.. Why give the script weasels yet another market to corner? :huh

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Imagine if they simply added it to the crafting menu with no special ingredient requirements, it would suddenly be "why'd bother adding that trinket when XYZ is still broken?!?!?"

Still, once a week is kinda over-stingy. Would much rather see it as a Peerless drop or difficult quest reward.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Bah. In a year or so, at least they'll still retain value.

Name another non-combat item for which that is true. Quick! Quick!

Too slow.

~M

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Lamp posts still sell, Ruined Paintings are still outrageously priced, altho the Tokuno stealable rares except for the flower display are pretty low-end.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Of all those, only the Ruined Painting held its value - and even that is questionable.

This is something a large number of players will desire for a long time. And crafters will be able to sell something valuable.

But, I guess you did provide a valid example.

(Stop post-stalking me! I know what you're doing! ;))

~M

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Holding value is very hard, in the case of the lamp posts, theyre certainly cheaper than they used to be, but pretty much everything loses value as the newness wearsoff.

I use to obsess about the Ruined Painting, even made a thief to steal it... til I found out about script-stealing, then I stopped my training dead in it's tracks and gave it up.

*marks off one count of posting gap with Magister*(you have to sleep sometime! muahahaha!)

Martyna Zmuir

Martyna Zmuir

Reporter/Librarian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Valuable to the crafter... Hmm.. You mean the crafter of the script thief who stole it? Because they are hurting for gold?? /sarcasm

The full bookcase and the hitching post are nice to have added into crafting, but they made them absurdly high-end. A NEW 8th level stealable??? Really? Why not use the scores of books from the bone daemon room in Doom? Does anyone buy them anymore? Better yet, does anyone even bother to steal them? Idea: A (been asked for since '97) Implementation: F (encourages script thief hoarding, ignores suppy/demand realities, moves yet more gold into the hand of the aforementioned scripters)

Ugh the hitching post.. 1 place to get the pheremones... Yay, another place to camp. Lets hope these things spawn around the Abyss, or in a room in it. But why the need to three other rare drops? (5 really) Two rope, realatively easy to get.. Resolve's bridle.. eh.. never bothered to collect them, not sure of their drop rate... and the ugly (yes, its hideous) wooden steed - thats a what, one in 16 chance of dropping in a treasure chest... While I think EA overthought this one a tad, at least its not reliant on a single spawn per shard. Idea: A+ (been asked for since '97) Implementation: B- (overly rare dependant for an item with such a short life expectency)

And now we can pay real money for both of these... Words fail.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
This topic has turned into a heated debate over on UOHall, as many players voice there opinion on the delay of these gifts and go OT as to the reasons why.

DHMagicMan_1's response to the announcement was

We'll do our best to keep you updated through the UOGameCodes website starting when? Now? Just curious because I haven't seen anything change on that website in at least a year.

I'll watch "the comming weeks" and not make any more negative comments about these MIA codes until March... but I still think you should do a MUCH better job of communicating.

Somehow we know more about what the banks are spending TARP funds on than what troubles you could possibly be having distributing codes for items that already exist in the Japanese servers... we know you can generate and sell codes on the website and we know the items exist in game so details would make your story more believable... but whatever... go forth and do what you will. You bought yourself more weeks.

~~~~

Aurelius said

I'm a bit out of touch, so may have misunderstood something here, but I'd like a little more explanation about 'distribution'.

Are these items the same as the 11 year Vet rewards, or completely different - and if they are like the 10th Anniversary 'heritage' tokens, will some also appear as player gifts, or is this purely a 'buy the codes from the store' scheme?

Originally Posted by DHMagicMan_1
Somehow we know more about what the banks are spending TARP funds on than what troubles you could possibly be having distributing codes for items that already exist in the Japanese servers...

There's always a possibility that those items released in Japan have turned out to have serious bugs in them and Japan 'beta tested' them for us! After all, it's not unknown for UO items to have 'unexpected features'...

Flora Green isnt too happy as we read.

Okay, you're having techinal difficulties, whatever that means. And the REST of the stuff you all keep "forgetting" to mention?

http://vboards.strat....2&postcount=10

It's now February 2009. You planning on doing anything for this very late anniversary at all? Or gonna sweep it under the rug the way you basically did the 10th?

~~~~

hawkeye_pike gave us his take on a solution

For all those who keep complaining about the delay of some (ridiculous, concerning their effect on gameplay) anniversary items:

If you want to get the same attention like asian shards, you should

* either try to motivate as many players to play UO as there are active players on asian shards. This will ensure you will generate a similar revenue and thus a similar development power behind your shard.
* or move to an asian shard and play there.

Be realistic, face the truth! The US shards have about 20% of active population of an asian shard. It is all about money! The more subscribers and active players, the more energy will be invested into making the player base happy.

Don't blame the game developers. They have a long long long list of tasks, and they have to prioritize, as their budget is limited.

~~~~

Crysta said

The explanation that was given before was that they made a deal that they'd wait until after a certain retail distribution period in Japan to release them worldwide.. my guess is that one or more of the distributors have refused to stop selling stock, either because its doing well or they have too much left over, and due to the wording of the deal until they do EA can't do a thing.

~~~~

to which Draconi replied

No one ever believes me when I say it's "nothing sinister." Is it because I tend to set everything I see on fire?

Like they said, it's just technical difficulties not related to the development team (e.g. the items work fine once created).

and in reply to hawkeye_pyke

Be realistic, face the truth! The US shards have about 20% of active population of an asian shard.

Which isn't the truth, and it blows my mind that such incredibly wrong numbers get blown around to somehow justify perceived slights.

Tim "Draconi" Cotten -
Lead Designer -
Ultima Online - EA Mythic

~~~~

Then does it blow your mind that it was a former Dev that gave us this information?

asked Connor Graham

and

This was well before the Stratics crash. At least 2 yrs ago or more. I distinctly remember one of the Devs, I'm thinking Mr Tact, stated the Asian shards made up 75% of the total UO population.

Tabbitha

Tabbitha

"Can Set Custom Title"

• Members
  • 8,727 posts
  • LocationKinver,Staffordshire,England
RavenWinterHawk asked

Do we really need more stuff?

How about random events and spawns as the Anniversary Gifts?
You can find the 11th items in battle or in chests or that random NPC.

You cant find them unless you explore.

~~~~

Draconi liked that

See, I like that idea

Mainly because the 11th Year Collection are not the gifts you'll receive for the 11th Anniversary of UO.

They were a separate bundle of items developed for a specific release in Japan (just like the Heritage tokens, etc), with, I admit, a confusing name.

Like everything else done in that fashion, it was intended to be released shortly after the end of the run in Japan, but as mentioned, have been delayed purely for technical reasons.

Tim "Draconi" Cotten -
Lead Designer -

~~~~

DHMagicMan_1 jumped back in at this point

Draconi,

Perhaps you'd like to explain how Asian EA ends up offering things like the 11th anniversary items (aparently 3+) months before we may get them, or why their web site offers codes for items we'll never be offered such as the Tok Dyes and such?

Maybe that's why we feel slighted... and I don't think it's "PERCEIVED" if it's "ACTUAL" slights... it may not be because of population differences... maybe because of other reasons such as development choices, or God knows what... but there are actual differences that have been documented and repeatedly implemented.

~~~~

Originally Posted by Connor_Graham
This was well before the Stratics crash. At least 2 yrs ago or more. I distinctly remember one of the Devs, I'm thinking Mr Tact, stated the Asian shards made up 75% of the total UO population.

MrTact was Lead Designer at the time mentioned, and my boss. I can, with great confidence, tell you he would never intentionally release information about the playerbase that would violate his NDA with EA. Nor would any other gainfully employed developer

Thus, I'm led to believe any such post or speech at a townhall has been completely misconstrued, and can reaffirm this rumor is utterly false. The UO community in the US, Europe, and Asia are incredibly strong.

Tim "Draconi" Cotten -
Lead Designer - Ultima Online -
EA Mythic

~~~~

Babble asked

LOL

I hope that was not a personal attack, but LOL - strong following?

~~~~

UO is amazing and UO's community is amazing. When new MMOs come out and can't even reach UO's numbers (after 11 years), it just makes you feel all warm and squishy inside.

(But not content, no one, not even the developers, will ever be content )

Tim "Draconi" Cotten -
Lead Designer - Ultima Online
- EA Mythic

~~~~

Ok I am really confused now. Was this news just released today? Did it just become known to the dev team?

I am talking about what Draconi said, that the 11th anniversary items released to Asian shards are NOT the ones we will get?

I... need a *facepalm* emoticon, all I have are::) :qleft3: and finally :teacher:

I'm sorry for the confusion:

The 11th Year Collection Item Package, released as a packaged product in Japan, will be available soon for purchase

Every year, we try to put together Veteran Rewards, and Anniversary gifts, which are free. These are not necessarily released on the actual September date (and truthfully rarely are). This year, for instance, most of our resources are dedicated to Stygian Abyss.

The naming choice for the package of items was... unfortunate, because its very very confusing. I mean, previously they were called things like "Spring Decor" and "Heritage Items," etc.

You will have a chance to buy *exactly* what Japan got to buy. Additionally, at some point, there will be free gifts to actually commemorate 11 wonderful years of UO.

~~~~

Hemi posted

Actually there was quite a well documented release of information, intentional or otherwise, inside or outside of NDA, current or ex-developers, whatever, that suggested that Asian shards made up the majority of the playerbase.

I don't remember the specifics, but it was a hot topic on U.Hall for a long time, with people citing or linking to an exact quote from a specific developer. I think it may have been "mr marketing" around the time of the SE launch.

It wasn't saying that the average US shard has 20% of the population of the average Asian shard, but the jist of it was that it Asian (or specifically Japanese) shards make up the majority of the playerbase. Someone must have a source for it knocking around somewhere..

~~~~

HD2300 resonded with

Actually there was quite a well documented release of information, intentional or otherwise, inside or outside of NDA, current or ex-developers, whatever, that suggested that Asian shards made up the majority of the playerbase.

I don't remember the specifics, but it was a hot topic on U.Hall for a long time, with people citing or linking to an exact quote from a specific developer. I think it may have been "mr marketing" around the time of the SE launch.

It wasn't saying that the average US shard has 20% of the population of the average Asian shard, but the jist of it was that it Asian (or specifically Japanese) shards make up the majority of the playerbase. Someone must have a source for it knocking around somewhere..

http://www.mmogchart...nd-conclusions/

Ultima Online (Accuracy Rating: A)

...As of December 2007, UO had about 75,000 subscribers worldwide, with about 50,000 of those in Japan.

~~~~

Rofl. Always underestimated.

I can't tell you the numbers, but I can definitely tell you that that "Accuracy A" is almost as old as UO. It may have been applicable around the time our numbers were in SEC filings, though.

The idea that some people have about Asia making up the majority of UO's playerbase is wrong. And yet, we're depending on the Japan team to help supplement our work while we're focused on Stygian Abyss.

The truth is? The *entire* community is important, and no one should feel that someone, somewhere else, is getting treated with preference because of a mistaken rumor.

Tim "Draconi" Cotten -
Lead Designer -

~~~~

[B]The debate carries on but I will leave it there for now not only because it has gone OT but also because its way too long a post already :P

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Ugh, I'm glad the tone of some forum posts don't get as exasperated and petty here.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I have this mental image of Draconi perched on top of a castle wall, throwing water balloons at all the people lobbing gouts of fire in his direction.

Although, given his tendancies, maybe he should be throwing the fire...

Anyhow...useful post, which tells me that the FREE 11th Anniversary items are eventually going to make their way to my bank box. It also tells me that the PAY items will be available once some legal details are hashed out.

Thank goodness for UOForums. I would stop reading boards altogether if I had to wade through that invective and bile on Stratics.

~M

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

Ugh, I'm glad the tone of some forum posts don't get as exasperated and petty here.

And never will. Was nice of them to clarify the "naming" issue with these 11th year purchase items vs 11th Anniv free items.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"