Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Worth playing?

- - - - - playing worth

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

cHk4

cHk4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
First of all, hi every one! Hope you are all having a good '09

Well I first got a taste of Ultima Online back in 98 when I was 13... I loved the game but due to no money I never carried on playing. I played previous single player UO's and loved them.

Since then I have played many MMO's and found my love still lies with 2D games and well I have been searching for about a year now... So I remembered back to this game. I don't really remember much about the game apart from one time I went out with this dude and he killed loads of people and let me in his house which was cool =)

What is this game like? I am a UK based player, does UO have many UK based servers and/or players?

What is PvP like, is it open? Can you drop items when you die? How does the leveling work as I can't remember is it like a traditional level 1,2,3,4 etc or do you level up skills? Is PvP skillful? Would I stand a chance started the game nearly 12 years after it was released? What are bossed like in this game? Can you solo them or do you get a big group together? What is leveling like is it easy? What is a good solo char and a good char for PvP - obviously I will be getting the trial version first to see if I like it but I have 2 days off work and would appreciate any help I could get and any information.

Thank you

Moonstar

Moonstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Leveling.. goes by skills. Grandmster at 100 skill points. but you can use a power scroll to increase your skill cap from 100 to 05, 110, 115 or 120.

PVP i'm not into .. you can fight other players in Fellucca, wether they want to fight or not.
Any items you have on you that are not blessed or insured will be left in your corpse for that player to loot from you .
I'll let someoen else answer the rest of the pvp Qs.

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
Yes, it is worth it! Take some time and play with it! They have a 14 day free trial, so have at it!

There are to European servers: Europa and Drachenfels. But even playing on US shards is possible... My home shard is Origin, and I live in the Netherlands!

There are 3 great sources of information:
UOforums.com
UO.stratics.com
uoguide.com

There are currently 2 clients: 2D or "Mondain's Legacy" and KR or Kingdom Reborn.
Opinions on both are very diverse... Some hate the one, some the other. Some love the other, others the one... =)

Good luck!
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Hi cHk4,

First off, welcome to UOForums. I know there are a couple of European Servers, though I'm not sure of their physical location. I sometimes go visit them for roleplaying despite the fact I live in Los Angeles, CA in the US so I imagine anyone in Europe will have a decent ping to them.

UO has no leveling, it is all based on skills. You can mix and match skills to create your own unique templates. Most characters have a skill cap of 700 points, though older accounts get a benefit of 5 extra skill points per year of age up to a cap of 720. Thus a five year old account will have the 720 cap, a four year old account would have 715, etc. Skills are initially capped at 100, but you can obtain power scrolls in-game which can raise the skill up to 720 in some cases. These power scrolls are one of the primary items of contention in pvp.

There are many different lands but there is only one land for pvp, Felucca. Trammel is it's mirror image but a non-pvp land and these two look like the Britannia you are familiar with from the old games. When you die, your items fall on your corpse and you must get ressurected and return to your corpse to claim them. There is, however, item insurance if you wish to protect your more valuable items. Instead of losing them, you would lose gold instead. In pvp, this means the pvpers won't be able to loot the items should you die, but they will be able to get the insurance gold, thus rewarding them for killing you. Now I've been playing UO since the beginning and I don't really both to use insurance. I'm also a roleplayer and not really a hardcore pvper, so I'll let others get into the fine points of pvp.

UO is a vast game and there is much to learn, but a new player can get up and running fairly quickly. So yes you can start now and can feel well established pretty quickly, especially if you find help in-game which happens often.

One other thing I want to mention, Luna has become the center for player gathering as well as player merchanting, so keep that in mind when you are seeking players out.

buddy lee

buddy lee

Agent Zero

• Members
  • 2,249 posts
worth a try

cHk4

cHk4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks for the replies all :)

Are there some more active servers than others? I don't really want to join a server and it be dead :(

Full Circle

Full Circle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Welcome to Uo

Yes, I'd say it's worth a try. Uo now has a client called the Kingdom reborn client which is a tile for tile redraw and new mob graphics done on 2.5D released in summer 07, and there's still the classic legacy client. The Kingdom reborn client has some issues still. The dev team are currently doing a rework of the Kingdom reborn client to be released around the same time the new expansion comes out later this year to be called the SA client, which will introduce the gargoyles as a playable race. Being a lover of the single player games I'm sure you remember them.

Europa server has the biggest EU population. It's also the home to a lot of RP Guilds. The game is far from dead. With a new expansion coming out will introduce even more lore and places you'll know from the single player games, so the future of Uo is looking good.

There's also going to be a series of events leading up to the expansion release. If you don't see many about haven don't mistake things for dead most hang out at Luna bank. If you're using the Kingdom reborn client then I suggest you check this site out. Try out the BB_enhanced mod. It does a nice cosmetic touch up to the UI and fixes some bug with the UI too.

http://modders-excha...l.net/packaging
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cHk4

cHk4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks again, helpful and friendly bunch you lot :)

One thing I did want to know (well one of many!) in regards to Pking and PvP - can you duel so to speak with no penalty of killing the other player? When you PK do you get a penalty? I have played some games were you don't and others were you are banished from town and drop all items in your bag and what not. Not that I'm of the bat going to PK but just want to know in case =)
Thanks

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
In addition to what everyone else said (which is all accurate).

Europa is your server of choice. Drachenfels is nice as long as you either have a guild or like playing alone. Europa is still jumping after all these years.

The game now is completely different than the game then. I mean there isn't a single skill that works the same way it did 7 years ago (the first time I left the game), so there will be quite a learning curve when you come back.

People will tell you that the game is completely item based and the better items always win in PvP. That, while on the surface seems right, is incorrect. There are dozens of templates with thousands of possible attack and defense combinations which you need to either learn to use or to counter. And even if you learn the good combinations, using them in a duel or a field fight takes practice and timing.

You can do everything in the game solo. Groups just makes it easier and more fun (IMO).

Nobody drops items when they die unless they fall victim to a bug (which nobody seems to know how to reproduce but it keeps happening) that causes insurance to turn off or insured or blessed items falls on your body when you die. (the exception to this is the Siege Perilous shard which has no insurance)

People can powergame good characters in a week. But then they still don't know how to play the characters. I couldn't begin to count how many times my master level character (100-110 in skills) has to ressurect people with the super-duper-template of the week. I suggest that you learn how to play the game first before you try for the power gaming template making bit.

Welcome to UO forums!

If you have more questions, we have more answers.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Thanks again, helpful and friendly bunch you lot :)

One thing I did want to know (well one of many!) in regards to Pking and PvP - can you duel so to speak with no penalty of killing the other player? When you PK do you get a penalty? I have played some games were you don't and others were you are banished from town and drop all items in your bag and what not. Not that I'm of the bat going to PK but just want to know in case =)
Thanks

With the use of game mechanics (i.e. you both are in a guild, in warring guilds or you both flag before the fight) you can duel all you want. The penalty for being a murderer (PK) is you turn red, get the lovely title "Murderer," people can freely attack you and you can no longer go into Ilshenar, Malas or Tokuno. The old penalties are long gone.

cHk4

cHk4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks mate, some seriously good information there. I know classes come down to personal choice but is there any that are out standing or any that are rubbish? I always have liked Warrior type chars or Archer type chars... I see this game has a Samurai- are they any good?

aaa powergame - have seen things like that in other games, its funny seeing high leveled characters that have no idea how to play the game =)

Also - reading a guide at the moment, can you un learn skills and stuff? Say I no longer want to be a lumber jack can I unlearn it and learn something else?

cHk4

cHk4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well I have started now and I started a Warrior which seems like fun :D But I am debating going Samurai. What are the pro's and con's of both classes?
Thanks

Adam

Adam

Former Owner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Welcome to UOForums, fellow brit :P
Hope you enjoy UO

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Thanks mate, some seriously good information there. I know classes come down to personal choice but is there any that are out standing or any that are rubbish? I always have liked Warrior type chars or Archer type chars... I see this game has a Samurai- are they any good?

aaa powergame - have seen things like that in other games, its funny seeing high leveled characters that have no idea how to play the game =)

Also - reading a guide at the moment, can you un learn skills and stuff? Say I no longer want to be a lumber jack can I unlearn it and learn something else?

You can unlearn skills. Simply set the skill arrow to point down. Once you've hit your skill cap, any gain in other skills will reduce skills you have set to decrease. So don't fear making any mistakes. If you want to try out a skill and find it isn't for you, no worries. You can replace it with another skill you decide to train up.

cHk4

cHk4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Welcome to UOForums, fellow brit :P
Hope you enjoy UO

Thanks mate :) Wooo a fellow brit! lol

You can unlearn skills. Simply set the skill arrow to point down. Once you've hit your skill cap, any gain in other skills will reduce skills you have set to decrease. So don't fear making any mistakes. If you want to try out a skill and find it isn't for you, no worries. You can replace it with another skill you decide to train up.

Thanks again sable mate :)

Well have been on for two hours, been having fun - but with the lack of leveling in a sense I am used to, I am really unsure what to do or where to go? lol

Mortae

Mortae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Welcome
I hope you find UO to be the game you wish a game to be. It certainly os for me.
You have found one of the best resources for the game at this forum. Check out the Skills section and read the various suggestions for templates. You will be amazed at how players have developed both play style and skills to get the best out the game.

UO can be very confusing at first, sort of like looking in a giant market with 50 types of apples and you have no clue which one has the best taste, it can be somewhat overwhelming. UO is really the biggest sandbox you can play in. It allows for very unique templates and doesn't really focus on leveling up your avatar, The fun is in how you develop your character and what you did or tried to get you there. You won't see someone selling their version how how you can get to level 60 in UO in only three weeks, like I have seen adverts for Wow. But as your warrior grows you will see how much easier you can kill a harpy with 60 swords than it was when you were at 30. UO takes time and some patience. Read the posts here concerning the skill topics read what Mobs to kill at what skill level you are at. Look for a guild to join. UO has some of the nicest people I have met in online gaming.

Good Luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: playing, worth