Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Cheap suit challenge

- - - - - challenge cheap suit

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
In today's UO of inflated economy, many people have made the suggestion that it's impossible to compete without spending multiple millions of gold pieces on a good suit. I admit in the past, I've also spent many millions of gold on suits. My best mage suit is 14 million gold and I've seen suits with similar stats selling for up to and over 100 million (all resists over 60, with most 70, 4/6 FC/FCR (weaver-mage), 40% LMC, 100% LRC, 30% DCI, etc). I have two dexxer suits, one of which was 8 million, the other is 16 million and counting.

In the last month, I decided to try to find a couple of "fun" suits (like a 100% reflect physical damage suit with low physical resist) and have come to a new conclusion, which brings me to my challenge for you.

You have 1 million gold available to you. I want you to make a suit for a specific character which you believe can play well in a certain play type (be it PvP or PvM). It won't be the perfect suit, but it should be able to survive the worst that can be thrown at you.

Stipulations: You must be able to find every item for sale or for free. No self crafted items. You don't have to buy anything. So long as the item exists for sale, it's OK. The challenge does not include weapons (unless you find a really cheap one that fits), but does include shields.

Example:
My home shard is Catskills, so all items I found were availaible there as of last night. I searched for a suit for a bushido archer.

Artifacts purchased: Ancient Samurai Helm (200k), Heart of the Lion (150k!)
Runic pieces: Arms, legs, gorget, all with over 60 total resists and with variations of stamina increase/hit point increase/LMC
Jewelery: The ring and bracelet cost 10k together, had only 3 traits each, but added additional LMC and HCI.
Find of the process: Someone dropped a pair of gloves at the bank with 8 SI, 5 LMC, 2MR and 62 total resists.

Results:
The suit I could put together has all resists over 70 (with 90 cold! Useless, but it was the only way I could complete the suit so cheaply).
LMC 40%
SI 28
HPI 10
DCI 30%
HCI 20%
And rather insignicant amounts of str, dex, int, MR.

Total price (if I would have bought it all) 800k.

I've seen people pay more for less. Can you do better?

(side note: during the search process, I did wind up buying the arms for my archer it fit the gaps in my current PvM sooper-soot perfectly and was only 200k gold)

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I built a mage suit with the following properties. For free:

Lower Reagent Cost 100%
Lower Mana Cost 5%
Mana Regen 4
Defense Chance Increase 10%
Intelligence Bonus 12
70 each resist
400 Luck
2/6 FC/FCR
HP regen 2

And its purple!

Guess how? =D

(Sorry, your challenge is a legitimate one...I just couldn't resist!)

~M

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Yes, but if you went for that suit today, what would it cost?

And I did help a few people collect that same suit for the same price, as what they had before was ... how shall I say it? ... junk.

Anewbe4u

Anewbe4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm more interested in the specs of your pricey suits.

Care to share?

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
This would be awesome. I will make a suit and how much cost and will give all the mods. Be back in a while.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

I'm more interested in the specs of your pricey suits.

Care to share?

Pricey suit 1: wrestle/weaving/mage
FC 4/ FCR 6 (weaving with FC 4 is great!)
100% LRC
40% LMC
resists 68/76/70/60 (I want better)/66
DCI 30
SDI 62 (67 if I use reagents, darn my spell book dependancy!)
MR 12
with Kasa of Raj-in, pendant of the magi, rune beetle carapace (6 M between the 3 of those) ring for 900k, arms, legs and gloves for at least 1 M each, arcane shield (paid 400k), snake skin boots and a full set of slayer spellbooks (included in the price)

Pricey suit 2: Darkwood.
Pricey suit 3 includes mace and shield glasses, human version of fey leggings, stormgrip, primer on arms damage, jackal's collar and an AMAZING set of jewels (found as loot from a strong box quest). It lacks LMC, but I deal. If I switch to PvP on a more regular basis, I'll switch out the collar and gloves for LMC/MR pieces and use a totem of the void. but for now, my 90% DI is good. I can't recall the stats besides all resists are close to 70 and HCI is maxxed and DI > 90 with no weapon (he's brutal with storm seeker).

For the "cheap" suit, I could make a suit with just the sites-we-won't-mention that almost exactly mirrors the sorcerer's suit, but with 6 MR and 20% EP on top of it (but no luck bonus) for 1.2 million. Since I'm supposed to be working, I won't do the legwork to do better right now.

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Ok here we go. Char is a sampire. I came in under 1mil, you could spend the rest for more arcane clothing. Here is the suit I found on the atlantic.

Resist 71/80/58/82/82
LMC 26
DI 42 (does not include weapon)
DCI 43
HI 2
Mana increase 7
EP 30

Ancient Samurai Helm 200k 15/10/10/15/10 DCI 15
Heart of lion 150k 15/10/10/10/10 DCI 15
Mempo 100k 13/20/4/9/25 LMC 7
sleeves 98k 16/20/8/7/9 lmc 6 Mana inscrease 7
gloves 95k 6/5/8/26/20 lmc 6
leggings 100k6/15/18/15 lmc 5

ring 4,999 DI 20, DCI 13 EP 15
bracelet 5k DI 22 LMC 2 EP 15
soul seeker 165k
arcane cloak 100
arcane boots 100
Total 918,199

Not bad that was fun. My thinking is with a sampire you don't need that much MR with the soul seeker and HCI for lighting strike. Just which I had some more gold for the totem of the void for the extra 10 LMC.

You also use this char for champ spawns in fel, the only problem would if you get raided and someone dps you, then are done. The ep and the one-handed weapon allows you to chug.

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
Or right now you could join a faction with this char and go collect some silver and get the RBC really cheap and then you would have more LMC and MR.

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Or right now you could join a faction with this char and go collect some silver and get the RBC really cheap and then you would have more LMC and MR.

Yeah, I this is a great, cheap way to suit up now. Go join TB, hunt daemons & ogre lords for a couple of hours (should be easy to get 1500-2k silver an hour), go use your silver for all the rank 1 faction items. With a little luck, you'll never even have to pvp for them. It's how I suited my new & poor toon. ;)

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Yeah, I this is a great, cheap way to suit up now. Go join TB, hunt daemons & ogre lords for a couple of hours (should be easy to get 1500-2k silver an hour), go use your silver for all the rank 1 faction items. With a little luck, you'll never even have to pvp for them. It's how I suited my new & poor toon. ;)

Also the aids and pots you can't go wrong.

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Speaking of which, would it be against the rules to buy silver, then use that silver to get rank 1 faction items, since technically you don't have to do anything else? ;) Silver sometimes shows up for 150k per 1000...so you could get the RBC for the same price you paid for Heart of the Lion.

Anewbe4u

Anewbe4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
I assume you have to stay in the faction to wear the items?

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

I assume you have to stay in the faction to wear the items?

Believe so, yes, but if you pretty much exclusively PvM you'll almost never notice it since being in a faction has no effect on Trammel ruleset play. It only makes things thornier if you spend a lot of time in Felucca, in which case TB might not be the best faction to join since it seems like everyone is Minax or Shadowlords these days. ;)

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
And THIS is the reason I can't understand why RBC has kept its value. There is absolutely no downside to playing a faction character in Trammel. Why on earth are people still wearing the normal one? I'm going to trade mine out and retire the original version as soon as I get home.

~M

Anewbe4u

Anewbe4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm in a guild already, can I stay in it and join the faction?

Moria

Moria

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
nope, not unless the guild goes faction :/

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
But, why wouldn't your guild go faction? If you all play in Tram, you'll never notice the difference. If you venture to Fel, you'll have allies (and enemies!) just by virtue of your allegiance. You'll also have a new item to gather and horde: faction silver!

~M

Lycanthropy

Lycanthropy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

But, why wouldn't your guild go faction? If you all play in Tram, you'll never notice the difference. If you venture to Fel, you'll have allies (and enemies!) just by virtue of your allegiance. You'll also have a new item to gather and horde: faction silver!

~M

qft ive encouraged my home guild to do the same

i also wanted to give some quick advice for anyone curious about starting a new char on another shard. i started up a new dexxer the other day i went:

49 fencing
49 tactics
2 necro

then began to use some of the new haven quests. like for example, i brought a couple of npcs from jhelom (female npcs without wep in hand) and trained parry up to 50, etc, and used some of the rewards (focus, fencing, tactics, etc) as starter equipment.

all ive managed so far is a 70 phys guy with about 40s in the rest with maybe 30 dci and 70 fencing, 60 healing, 60 anat, locked focus at 60, 80 parry and whatever else in two days play, started by making money off of npc human brigands (75-150 gold each) then moved on up to earth elementals (120-200 gold each) then plan to try and move up to ninjas in the Citadel next (850-1050 gold each if i recall--the two that spawn as trap on right hand side).

and i also have a mage who now has 100 LRC ;D

fun to start anew on another shard :P

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

qft ive encouraged my home guild to do the same

i also wanted to give some quick advice for anyone curious about starting a new char on another shard. i started up a new dexxer the other day i went:

49 fencing
49 tactics
2 necro

then began to use some of the new haven quests. like for example, i brought a couple of npcs from jhelom (female npcs without wep in hand) and trained parry up to 50, etc, and used some of the rewards (focus, fencing, tactics, etc) as starter equipment.

all ive managed so far is a 70 phys guy with about 40s in the rest with maybe 30 dci and 70 fencing, 60 healing, 60 anat, locked focus at 60, 80 parry and whatever else in two days play, started by making money off of npc human brigands (75-150 gold each) then moved on up to earth elementals (120-200 gold each) then plan to try and move up to ninjas in the Citadel next (850-1050 gold each if i recall--the two that spawn as trap on right hand side).

and i also have a mage who now has 100 LRC ;D

fun to start anew on another shard :P

That could be easier or harder, depending on the shard.

If you know where to go on Europa, for example (the guild HLP will help with that, after all, it's their vendor's I'm talking about), you can find a frequently stocked vendor with low-to-mid range items for dirt cheap. For example, I bought a 100% LRC suit from them (Thanks Minerva!) with decent resists and some LMC for less than 100k gold. My weapons on Europa almost all say "crafted by Paidric."

I think I should repost my guide to powergaming a swordsman somewhere (with revisions for things I've learned). The methods most people use are rather slow if you insist on staying at your computer.

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
Greetings...

- Make a new character...
49 inscription
49 necro
2 anything

- Set magery, med, eval, focus, necro, spirit speak, inscription UP.

- Gather a lrc 100% suit and a spellbook
(plenty of guilds in new haven helping new folk)

- Finish the inscription and the necro quest and collect an undead slayer spellbook and a full necro book...

- Turn inscription down.

- Start traning... use the quest staff to reduce your magery by 20.

- When you reach 80 on magery join factions... and return to TRAM.

- Use the boards to meet players from other shards and ask them to make opposing faction characters on your home shard... you return the favor on their shard... you will need 3 kills and about 10 points to be set for a week...

- Research and learn how to get silver... collect some. Should be easy to collect 10k per hour... use summons like blade spirit till you are more experienced.

- Time to build the suit:

Two suits required... one for PVM one for PVP.

PVM one (expensive version):
*- Wizard's Crystal Reading Glasses
*- Rune Beetle Carapace
- Pendant of the Magi
- Spell Woven Breeches
- Midnight Bracers
- Stitchers Mittens
*- Crystalline Ring
*- Ornament of the Magincian
- Totem of the Void
*- Crimson Cinture
*- SDI 30, MR 3 Spellbook from the Generals.

*- Items you can get for free... hunting.

Advantages:
- Mana Regen 18
- HP Regen 9
- LMC 40
- SDI 90

Disadvantages:
- Low Resists (average 40)
- LRC 80% (easy to find a Tunic with LRC 20)

PVM one (Cheap version):
*- Wizard's Crystal Reading Glasses
- LRC Gorget with some resists
- LRC Tunic with some resists
- LRC Sleeves with some resist
- LRC Gloves with some resist
- LRC Leggings with some resist
*- Crystalline Ring
*- Ornament of the Magincian
*- Crimson Cinture
*- SDI 30, MR 3 Spellbook from the Generals.

*- Items you can get for free... hunting.

It is easy to find five pieces that add 80% LRC...

PVP Suit:
(add...)
- Folded Steel Glasses
- SC Mage weapon, no Penalty.

Total Armor Cost:
- Time... and 0 gold.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: challenge, cheap, suit