Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

DEVS: New Content, Thief Champion Spawn

- - - - - champion content devs spawn thief

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Hello all!

I was saving this idea to use as the post that would finally put my on the ‘all time’ most prolific posters list. However, I decided that was too much hype for an idea that a) many people won’t like and B) will probably never see implementation.

It is not as if I’m a developer.

I’m still struggling with a way to bring more thief content to UO, but in a way that is creative and RP instead of annoying and troublesome for other players. Thieving, by nature, is anti-social – so there will always be an element of that. What I’m looking for is a scoundrel theme, much like other player groups keep asking for pirate-related content.

I give you: the Thief Champion Spawn.

(First, please read my concept of Faction Dungeons here: http://www.uoforums....dungeons-56225/)

For the champ boss, I propose the following:

The boss should be a master thief. In this case, an individual who manages to bamboozle bankers, merchants and nobles across the land. When he dies, naturally some relics from his art will remain on his corpse:

Unique Loot Items:
1) Forged Checks; These are bad checks that the master thief was passing at banks across the land. They exist in denominations of 50K, 75K and 100K gold. When redeemed at the bank, there is a chance the banker will notice they are a forgery. If noticed, the forged checks will land you a dirt nap with the guards *and* you’ll be banned for 24hrs from using a bank. Real time, not game time. For the white hats in the crowd, the forged checks can be turned in to the captain of the royal guard for a fraction (10%) of their value and a significant bump (one full level) in one of three random virtues: Honor, Sacrifice or Honesty. No more than six forged checks will spawn per corpse. They are cursed. There is no explosion of gold from this champ, but my concept for a faction silver explosion still seems good to me (What? You didn’t re-read that thread?)

2) Forged Commodity deeds. See above. They randomly spawn in the form of any resource that can be currently put into a deed and in 1000, 2500 or 5000 quantities. Same rules apply for attempting to redeem them or turning them in to the guard. Forged Commodity deeds spawn like powerscrolls: they are cursed, they pop into your pack, and anyone protecting gets a shot at their own copy. Up to six spawn per champ, twelve with protection.

3) Replicas. The faction thief boss can spawn forgeries of all of the new replicas. However, there are severe restrictions on getting out of the dungeon alive with these. See “Boss Loot” in my original thread: http://www.uoforums....dungeons-56225/

4) No powerscrolls from this guy, sorry.

Other possible minor loot:

A) Lethal Poison Potions. Not sure about this one, but folks have been asking for this to be added off and on for several years. Poisoning is terribly underpowered, in my opinion. Potions can only be used by GM poisoners and (perhaps) always lethal poison the person that applies them – even if the attempt is successful.

B) Forged treasure maps (levels one through six). These lead to new treasure locations where the master thief may or may not have buried some ill-gotten gains. When the chest is dug from the ground, a party of ambushers will attack (thief-themed treasure guardians). The loot in the chests will consist only of gold, minor artifacts and some other small, thief-themed items…not sure on this one either.

(Well, now that it is down on paper it doesn’t actually look as good as I thought it would. Still, it would be a shame to waste all this typing.)

EDIT: Oh, one final thought: In a nod to the forum bickering, a stealable, level 15 artifact will spawn on the ground once before the champ dies, but not before he spawns. It can only be stolen by a legendary faction thief. The graphic?

A crate.

Thoughts?

~M

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
Actually, having a non-PvP thief... I like this idea. I like it a lot. Love the forged checks/commodity deeds. You'd have to be careful, though, because even a 1000 frostwood boards would be huge. Perhaps the chance of successfully redeeming a deed would be scaled to the resource? Plain wood would be a 1:6, frostwood 1:48?

Alternatively, the higher your peacemaking skill, the better your chance? You know, social engineering?

With this posting, Magister, and your unrepentant hatred of gnomes... I think I like you. Your newsletter... show me your subscription rates.

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
Might make it a pirate theme with a few fishing rares and maybe a SOS or two. Might even have a pirate flag stealable instead of a crate.

I think it's a great idea though

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Might make it a pirate theme with a few fishing rares and maybe a SOS or two. Might even have a pirate flag stealable instead of a crate.

I think it's a great idea though

Well, I think he is saying the prize in IN the crate?

A true pirate hanging banner would be very cool. I have seen a regular banner dyed black and a housing tool used to raise a skull and two bones to make a fine Jolly Roger flag. As an especially rare treat from a level 6 pirate/thief chest, that would be awesome, and I am not a pirate-type player.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Thanks for the warm fuzzies!

I concur about the frostwood comment. It would be huge to get a commodity deed full of 5000 frostwood. However, there are so many things that could spawn (reagents, ingots, boards, hides, cut leather) that I figured the chance of spawning frostwood or valorite was appropriately low. Since 5000 frostwood will get you one-quarter of the way to an 800,000 point community collection reward, I thought that would draw interest to the spawn location.

As for the crate: Its joke. People who steal artifacts off the floor are looked down upon by people who steal from other players. The slang term for an artifact stealer is "Crate Thief." Since I run both types of characters, I thought it would be a nice nod to the UO community forums to have an uber rare stealable artifact crate. I suppose we could put something inside it, though.

;)

~M

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

"I want to do bad things to you."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
I like it! It sounds like a step in the right direction. :)

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
I like your idea Mag, keep them coming. Hopefully it will inspire certain persons reading it at a certain software studio, heh

I did want to make mention that thievery doesnt necessarily have to be anti-social. I played a thief nearly a decade ago and worked in a gang that terrorized the East Britain Bank. Thieves *can* be more powerful working in groups than alone. For example, mafia vs. some parking lot mugger, heh

I think thieving content should be geared toward patience, cunning and quick-thinking than combat. Since thievery and piracy go hand in hand on many levels, maybe it will get some attention if the next expansion, as has been bandied about for years, will involve a sea/pirate theme.

TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico

The Suave One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
I'd rather see something that would actually involve PvP, not PvM...la

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts

I'd rather see something that would actually involve PvP, not PvM...la

Of course you would. And, in true Rico style you never bothered to read my original thread...which was a PvP thief-centric dungeon. This is just the champ monster for it.

Well played, old bean.

~M

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: champion, content, devs, spawn, thief