Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Request: A Primer on Mage Weapons

- - - - - mage primer request weapons

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
With all the good info going around about items lately, I was wondering if some knowledgeable person could discuss how mage weapons are used and what makes for a valuable mage weapon. I know that the wielder's Magery skill counts as the weapon skill when using a MW, and that the penalty given is applied both to hitting & being hit (a la a normal weapon skill), as well as to the wielder's ability to cast spells. But what specifically makes a valuable mage weapon? I see them up for sale on the stratics boards all the time for many millions, and I very rarely understand exactly why that particular MW is any better than any other MW (and often they look worse to me!).

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
There are two basic categories to a Mage Weapon.

1) High (-29) negative skill. These are training weapons. The lower your skill, the faster you will gain. People use -29 spell channeling wands in combination with the Satyr Discord penalty to shave almost 50 points off their magery skill. You can get to GM really fast if you only have to train up to 50!

2) Low negative skill. Not counting artifacts or special items, the "best" possible monster loot mage weapon is -20. With a Crystalline Ring, you can recover all of those lost 20 points and suddenly have 120 weapon skill along with 120 magery.

So, a spell channelling -20 Mage Weapon with great SSI, Hit Spell Effect, Damage increase, etc will command a pretty high price to the right customer.

~M

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
Crafted or looted mage weapons scale in intensity from -20 to -29 magery skill. Since the crystalline ring gives +20 to magery, the -20 mage weapons are the most valuable. The -29 mage weapons are mostly used for training.

The prerequisite to having a valuable mage weapon is the spell channeling property. The faster casting -1 spell channeling mage weapons are worth only a fraction of the spell channeling mage weapons with no faster casting penalty.

Since spell channeling, mage weapon and no faster casting penalties all take up a modification slot, there are a maximum of two more modifications in a mage weapon. One of these mods HAS to be defence chance increase in order for the mage weapon to be truly valuable.

The other one can be hit chance increase, swing speed increase, hit lower defense, hit lower attack or a hit spell effect.

That makes the ultimate mage weapon:
MW -20
SC
No FC penalty
DCI 15
Another benificial property (which one depends on the user)
And one handed to enable the use of potions while wielding the weapon.

If you find this weapon, you can name your price... any price for it.

If any of these properties are less than 100%, the price is drastically reduced to the many millions range.

If any one of the properties are missing, the price is reduced to the few million range (i.e MW -20, SC and FC -1 with DCI and another effect)

The difference in price from MW -20 and MW -21 is astronomic. It's a status thing rather than a practical use thing. the -21 mage weapon is very nearly as good as the -20 mage weapon.

My own personal mage weapon is a kryss with MW -22, FC -1, SC, DCI and hit fireball. It does very well for me. I looted it from a demon.

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

There are two basic categories to a Mage Weapon.

1) High (-29) negative skill. These are training weapons. The lower your skill, the faster you will gain. People use -29 spell channeling wands in combination with the Satyr Discord penalty to shave almost 50 points off their magery skill. You can get to GM really fast if you only have to train up to 50!

~M

I don't believe it affects the gain rate, but the lower level spells use less mana and are quicker to cast, so more gains can be squeezed in before having to meditate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Since lowering skill in Twisted Weald works, I'm pretty sure mage weapons work too.

I do, however, allow for the possibility that I'm incorrect. It's happened before.

Once or twice.

=P

~M

Merc

Merc

bellum omnium in omnes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 887 posts
The great thing about mage weapons for pvp is it is a great way to disrupt someone casting. Plus you want one with no -1 FC and with DCI and spell channeling. So lets say you are 120 magery and your equipment yourself with a -20 mage weapon. Yes your magery will drop but you can equipment your self with a ring and or bracelet to make up the difference. And you are no GM or higher in that weapon skill minus specials. So lets say you put a ring on with 10 magery you are now at 110 magery and 110 weapon skill. Plus in pvp if you are dueling someone for fighting someone 1 vs 1 then you use lower level magery spells. If I am fighting or dueling someone I use poison, harm, weaken, lighting, curse, magic arrow, evil omen, pain spike and will throw in the expl/flamestrike combo.

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Thanks a lot guys. So the primary use is PVP? I always assumed that HML was probably the best MW property, but if the purpose is to disrupt casting, then I guess the super-expensive SSI ones I've seen going around makes a bit more sense. And I assume this is also why most of the pricey MWs I've seen are not Archery? Bows are too slow?

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Bows take both hands. Can't chug a potion.

And, they are usually pretty slow.

~M

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
Makes sense...

Ok, for some specific examples that I still don't get. Explain why this bow is "uber" (according to a stratics poster):

Heavy Crossbow
Mage Weapon -20
Spell Channeling -1
10 SSI
Velocity 42
Lightning 48

It's got the -1 penalty, is slow as crap, and not balanced. And no DCI. Is it just that any spell channelling -20 MW is 'uber'?

Anewbe4u

Anewbe4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Since lowering skill in Twisted Weald works, I'm pretty sure mage weapons work too.

I do, however, allow for the possibility that I'm incorrect. It's happened before.

Once or twice.

=P

~M

Its a bit of an UO inconstancy. Getting Discoed would make it easier to gain, using a Mage wep doesn't. The idea with the Mage wep is to be able to gain using a lot lower lvl spells, faster and using less mana.

onthefifty

onthefifty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
mw -20
no fc penalty
sc
15 dci
50 fireball
kryss.

ultimate for a nox mage. fireball is delayed and you can lp.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mage, primer, request, weapons