Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

You want to play in a world which was like UO in the old days before AOS or UO:R?

- - - - - aos days play uo uor world

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
Then play on an RVR server on Warhammer Online! I got slaughtered in a campaign then the "newbie" area was invaded by PKs!

Char: Lucifia.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

"I want to do bad things to you."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
*Chuckles*

Not to incite a debate here, but there was alot more to the early years of UO than getting PKed. Things that still can't be fathomed, nor replicated by most modern MMO's. :)

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

*Chuckles*

Not to incite a debate here, but there was alot more to the early years of UO than getting PKed. Things that still can't be fathomed, nor replicated by most modern MMO's. :)

Rose-colored lenses.

Many of us remember things way differently.

-Galen's player

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

Rose-colored lenses.

-Galen's player

So your saying all there was to UO in the early days was PKing?

Have to disagree, speaking as one who has played since beta. RP and playerrun towns were probably at thier height during the first couple of years amongst other things.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico

The Suave One

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
Why would someone go to a prs for Warhammer to recapture the glory of old UO if they can merely go to a prs for UO?

Seem if you want old apples, you go to the old apple server, not the new orange server...la

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
To some degree Silverfoot. I played back then as well and introducing my friends to the game was a mistake until UO Ren came out. It was an exercise in frustration for them to be slain as soon as they stepped out of the guard zone. It wasn't until UO:R came out that those players returned and remained.

PKing wasn't as bad those days as it would be today. Nobody knew what to expect. Many players still went around on foot. Guilds were loosely organized. No longer. MMOs have been around for awhile now and players get themselves organized. That's one of the reasons I'm curious to see how Darkfall will do. Will they implement systems that serve as a deterrent for large murderer guilds or will larger murderer guilds run roughshod over all others, recruiting left and right and dominating smaller guilds out of existence?

In my opinion the player base has already spoken. Since UO:R, the players have gravitated to Trammel. If it was such a bad idea as many like to proclaim, then why is it so wildly popular with the UO Player Base?

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

So your saying all there was to UO in the early days was PKing?

Have to disagree, speaking as one who has played since beta. RP and playerrun towns were probably at thier height during the first couple of years amongst other things.

People say that....But on LS I could never find them.

I was looking too.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
I agree with part of both Galen and Silverfoot about UO's past. Yes there was alot of PKing and yes there where alot of RP and Player run towns, but the story is always subjected to one majorly flawed Filter, the players experience.

Not all experienced the horrible PK attacks like some characters and not all experienced the player run towns and big group dynamics the others did.

The only way to make UO fun for all is to step up and help newbies to have a positive experience in UO and then to encourage them to do the same. I know that there will always be A***oles who give the game a bad name but if enough of us try to help them we might just get the player base EA wants to put serious money behind this truely innovative game.

DAFT1

DAFT1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts
I pretty much remember hunting in the sewers all day to get a junk suit of npc armor only to have it strewn about after they ripped me to pieces after crossing that stupid bridgein brit. I did learn how to get through some hairy situations. I used to get wiped out alot back in the beginning and I am still of the opinion that tram makes players to secure. Tram would have been better if it worked like the youth system. Say player gets to 70 skill and then he can be killed. My crafter would have to rethink his temp that's for sure. I know alot of ppl who haven't ever been to fel, it's like insta-death in their minds.

Laeo

Laeo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
In my opinion a game has to have the following features to resemble old uo feelings:
- No level system (the skill system is far superior imo)
- Little impact of gear on pvp
- A real world instead of zones grouped by level
- The freedom to go everywhere I want without artificial boundaries (hard monsters to bypass and stuff like that is ok of course)

There are probably some more but those are the must haves for a "UO Killer" for me.

But, as I, and the marketing people know, such a game would only appeal to a small group of people. Most of todays players want it easier so we mainly get games like Warhammer and so on.

I tried *many* other MMORPGS and the only other one i got hooked on besides Ultima Online was Everquest because of the raiding game. Killing uba bosses with 54 people is fun ;)

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts

People say that....But on LS I could never find them.

I was looking too.

*shrugs*

-Galen's player

I was lucky enough to play on Chesapeake, which had a huge amount of RP and 4-5 solid playerrun towns.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

"I want to do bad things to you."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Rose-colored lenses.

-Galen's player

*Chuckles*

Sir Galen,

In no way am I suggesting that the days before the emergence of Trammel were some golden age of roleplaying and cooperation amongst the players. I haven't forgotten about the player-killers, the bandits, the ganking, the loss of establishments, and so fourth. Instead, I humbly suggest that even during those earliest days of Ultima Online, there was something deeply wonderful about the game; one that simply cannot be replicated. The dangers forced players to cooperate with one another; and many of the greatest player-run cities on my main two shards emerge during this time period.

Interestingly enough, the only two roleplaying guilds and player-communities that still stand on my shard belong to those who chose to remain in Felucca. Every single roleplaying village that moved to Trammel, every single roleplaying guild to pack up their bags and move to the New World; has since fallen. There is no trace of most of them; while the 11 year old giants still stand. Collecting dust, but they are still there. The same is true on Chesapeake.

Ultima Online can never really go back. Its progressed too much; which isn't a bad thing. I wouldn't give up the Chivalry of my Paladin, the items and dyes that allow my mage to attain the perfect look of a White Wizard, or my elves; to return to those ancient days. I simply try to focus on the positive aspects rather than the negative aspects of that time.

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

*Chuckles*

Yes, there was also being unable to sell to vendors because they had bought their quota of goods for the week. And getting disconnected every half an hour or so. And a lot of lag. Oh, and the excitement of finding an actual monster that you could kill, since they took like a week to respawn at first and probably had 1/10th the initial population that they have now.

Good times, good times. I mostly remember getting PK'd though. ;)

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
I, personally believe that the really fond memories of UO's begininng are because it was really the first of it's kind. Meridian59 and The Realms, just wasn't anything like this. It was something new and different.

It was a world of wonder. And yes more frustrating than getting PK'd was horrible lag, 2 steps forward, 1 step back, that time frame when nothing spawned for almost 2 weeks. But damn, I remember after that 2 week period a huge Rat spawn hit in Rat Valley and there were Reds, Blues all working together as spawn after spawn happened it's something that I will never forget about UO. It was a wild 4-5 hours.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The crap has hit the fan
!"

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
Stat-based HP/DEX/MP stinks. UO should have a skill-based system for skills PLUS a level-based system for stats. We need more than 100 max HP. Chars die too easily in UO, PK or not PKed.

I haven't played much of the game lately. Used to go off & buy houses with RL cash or buy millions of gold for RL cash... Ever since my "Fel Fighting Arena" failed I've not been interested in houses as I used to be. And my guild seems to have folded while I was gone. (I was a member, not the Guild Master.)

EDIT: But UO is an old game with relatively ancient coding. I'll never play as much of any other MMORPG as UO & very likely not invest RL money into them other than subscription fees.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aos, days, play, uo, uor, world