Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Funny story (don't be greedy!)...

- - - - - funny greedy story

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
So I thought I'd go down to the Despise fel champ spawn this morning while I ate b-fast and kill some of the low level spawn and see if I could maybe snag one of those new pink scrolls. I get down there and find that someone has done the spawn fairly recently...there are still some 105 & 110 PSes on the ground, as well as most of the gold. I've got my beetle with me and I'm low on money, so I grab the PSes, load myself & my beetle up with gold, and head back to luna. I know that I've left probably still 70-80k gold down there, so I turn around and head back.

This time I load up myself & my beetle with gold again, but I've got a knight of valor to burn and figure I'll do some rats & slimes until I run out of bolts, then head back. So I trigger the altar but only a few spawn on the island, so I head east to try to find some more spawn (whoops)...of course, I get mobbed by like 30 liliputian bolt-bait monsters and go down where my corpse can't easily be reached. I can't remember what I had on my corpse, and I figure that I might just have been stupid enough to leave something good on it, so I run back to the entrance to the second level and burn a sacrifice self-rez.

At this point I figure I should cut my losses, so I head immediately up the stairs to get away from a nearby ogre lord...but before the screen graphics have even loaded I am killed by an ettin (damn self-rezzes not re-arming you!). And here I get the dreaded "you do not have enough money in your bank account to re-insure all your items" message. Doh! Seems I must have moved too much gold from my bank to my new Luna vendor yesterday in my fervor to stock him. But at least my corpse is in a reachable spot now, rather than buried under 30 slimes, rats, and glowing ratmen.

Run out of the dungeon, rez, equip what *was* insured...seems I'm missing my nice newly-made runic arms and my ring. But whatever, I'll go get it off my corpse...so I run back to my corpse at the back of level 1, grab all my stuff, and the arms and ring are nowhere to be found! I kill off all the nearby ettins & elementals, thinking that they might have grabbed them off my corpse, but still nothing.

At this point, I'm thinking that maybe, somehow, some of my stuff had stayed on my first corpse after self-rezzing. So I exit KR (self-honoring doesn't work in KR for me right now...does it work for anyone?) so I can start up the 2D client, rez, and run back to the champ spawn to rifle through my corpse.

Of course, as soon as I exit KR, I realize how suicidal this is: I'm getting ready to run into the middle of hundreds of mobs with no mount and now without ANY of my items insured...I'll go from losing my sleeves & ring to losing it all. So, I restart KR, and log back in, only to find a grey beating on me with his bare hands!

Apparently, he realized that I had run out of bank insurance money, and when I had logged to switch clients, he assumed that I had just logged out in the middle of despise, and was going to try to kill me again so that he could grab the rest of my (now completely uninsured) gear! I two-hit him, of course, and sure enough, my sleeves and ring are on his corpse, along with a bunch of powerscrolls I didn't even realize were missing...this time I learn my lesson and rocket it out of Despise and Sanctum Viatas home as fast as my little boots can carry me.

The lesson? Don't be greedy! And apparently, playing possum if you're missing items in Fel and out of insurance money is a viable strategy if you're dealing with the right sort of thief.

Kitsune

Kitsune

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
Guum, I'm pretty sure that you are NOT my husband in real life, but your story sounds exactly like something that would happen to him. He gets into more trouble because of his greed in all the games he plays. hehe

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Darkstar

Darkstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I'm sorry but lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,647 posts
90% of my deaths in UO can be attributed to greed. It's that whole, "Just got to grab that last pile of gold before I retreat before all the creatures get me." I wind up overburdening myself and get run down. This was in the old days though. Doesn't happen so much these days.

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

90% of my deaths in UO can be attributed to greed. It's that whole, "Just got to grab that last pile of gold before I retreat before all the creatures get me." I wind up overburdening myself and get run down. This was in the old days though. Doesn't happen so much these days.

Yeah, I do that a lot too. Maybe I should figure out how to write mods for KR so I can write a Don't Be Greedy mod that won't let me pick up anything if I'm within 10% of my max carrying capacity. It'd probably wind up saving me money in the end on insurance & such.

Viper09

Viper09

Empty Night

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Lol. Good thing that gray guy was a bit too greedy. I would be hitting myself if I were that gray guy. Congrats on finally getting your items back! And congrats on killing the guy who thought he could get out with everything!
Patience my kitty, the world shall soon be ours.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
*shakes head*

No 'thief' worthy of the name would have been without shurikens, greater explosions or some other method of killing you. I am embarrassed on behalf of my profession.

But, good for you!

~M

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

*shakes head*

No 'thief' worthy of the name would have been without shurikens, greater explosions or some other method of killing you. I am embarrassed on behalf of my profession.

Hey if it wasn't for bad theives you wouldn't know how good you really are.

Viper09

Viper09

Empty Night

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey if it wasn't for bad thieves you wouldn't know how good you really are.

Hehe, kudos for that. :P
Patience my kitty, the world shall soon be ours.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: funny, greedy, story