Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

UO Campaign, Dungeons and Dragons style

- - - - - campaign dragons dungeons style uo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

sablestorm

sablestorm

The Dread Pirate Sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
This is for the larger RP community and it's an idea I've been kicking around for quite some time. I thought about doing it with RPers on my own shard, but character slots are precious so it was hard to make it work. Roleplayers from other shards, however, might have open character slots on Pacific to lend to this project, if they are interested. I wanted to put the idea out and get some discussion going about it to see if any were interested in taking part or hosting something similar on their own home shards.

So in our old D&D games, they nearly always began at the beginning with rolling up a character, starting new with a blank slate and working their way up through the course of adventures. What if we did this in UO? What if I were to set up a series of adventures on Pacific and the roleplayers could come together, create new characters, and then have to work together to succeed in these adventures? We'd start at the very bottom of the totem pole, choosing the advanced character template, choosing your three skills and what level you want them at. Then with your starting gold, you can buy equipment from the NPC vendors.

For those who think UO is too easy, this will be your challenge, to survive in gear only NPCs dress themselves in. :) The hope is that it will prove challenging an fun, fostering teamwork for the group. We'd shoot to confine skill gain to gains made during the adventure. We ask that no macroing our outside training take place. Through the course of the adventure, I'll provide better items and by killing creatures during the adventure, you'll probably loot better items too. If you die, your character is slain in the story. :( For things like disconnects or what not, we'll make exceptions, however.

Anyway, wanted to get this idea out there for discussion. Let me know your opinions. If someone else wants to try running something like this, I'll volunteer to participate as a player.

Markus Balthazar

Markus Balthazar

Nerves of steel!!!!

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
Sounds good. I don't play on pacific so have character slots available to create a newbie. I would be willing to go and try and survive with only my newbie items. Would be good fun on the felucca facet? I mean if the characters are all new what is there to lose? could be quite fun.
Posted Image

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia
Hmmm...

Dead= slain for the story, or slain forever, start a new toon... :o

Sounds interesting, tho...
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

callumf

callumf

Stalking U

• Members
  • 2,107 posts
Sable - we did something very similar twice over here in Europa - or was it three times? Anyhoo.

The main trick is to get all the characters in the same guild and possibly add in some "monsters" on the same stone so that you can "war" in trammel.

ie What we did was we had 14 players = 9 "goodies" and 5 "baddies" in a restricted environment with no possibility of training up characters.

The characters wwere given starting equipment and nothign more and had to decide for themselves who kept what or had what equipment.

It works like a dream and as logn as you can keep the players busy its fun fun fun!

Good luck mate!
Posted Image
owning all Su-Mi's bases since Y2K

sablestorm

sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
Well, death is something that is up for debate. In our general shard RP, death is merely regarded as a severe wounding and unconsciousness and we regard resurrection as the greatest of healing spells that could return someone from such severe trauma. The circumstances of the death are then worked into the story. Did they die while in the company of allies? If so, those allies then bore them safely to a shrine or healer to heal them. Did they die alone in the midst of a dungeon? Then perhaps we would say they are captured and work out some event where they are rescued by others or contrive some means of escape.

For this project, my initial thought was if death were an end to the character, one would play more conservatively and cautiously and rely more on the group for safety. On the other hand, with such poor equipment and the occasional mana-dumping monster....

Perhaps the ruling would depend on the difficulty of the adventure. During more difficult adventures where death is more likely no matter what the players do, perhaps then death would merely be regarded as the severe wounding and if the entire party is wiped out, they would be captured. In other easier adventures, death could be permanent.

Felucca visits are a possibility if the story takes us there.

Also, it would be nice if we could write up each adventure and recruit the players to snap screenshots along the way to illustrate it. Perhaps someone can be convinced to roleplay a Town Crier hopeful who will catalogue the events. :)

Markus Balthazar

Markus Balthazar

Nerves of steel!!!!

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
I am up for it, just tell me when and where I will be there!! just need a few days notice before the event. I am always up for having fun! :)

And Callum's idea above sounds like a good idea, warring guilds on Trammel or maybe a hunt, Felucca is maybe not such a hot idea by the sounds, although I would be up for that as well :P
Posted Image

sablestorm

sablestorm

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Sable - we did something very similar twice over here in Europa - or was it three times? Anyhoo.

The main trick is to get all the characters in the same guild and possibly add in some "monsters" on the same stone so that you can "war" in trammel.

ie What we did was we had 14 players = 9 "goodies" and 5 "baddies" in a restricted environment with no possibility of training up characters.

The characters wwere given starting equipment and nothign more and had to decide for themselves who kept what or had what equipment.

It works like a dream and as logn as you can keep the players busy its fun fun fun!

Good luck mate!

Yes, my intention was to guild all the players and to create foes to defeat during the course of an adventure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: campaign, dragons, dungeons, style, uo