Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

PvM revamp?

- - - - - pvm revamp

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Stukov

Stukov

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
With an economy like we have today where even toilet paper costs milions,you have to take a look at the loot tables.When was last time you seen someone killing anything but ML nameds(which are still kind of pointless either way) .I do send newbies to Despise Ettins because they are a good source of income for first days ,and theres always the arty chance..I guess.But then? I can not think of many worthwhile activities in UO other than .. champs,peerles and Doom? (I dont count idocs as a normal UO gameplay experience..) .You can arm yourself of valor and do a suicide run for a ancient wyrm or even worse,a paragon balron,for what..2000 gold and a couple useless items? That doesnt even pay for the insurance of the times youl die doing in the process unless you are using very specific templates.Truth is UO has turned very solo minded as you can prety much solo most of game,with pitiful payouts,true,but still solo it.Events have turned into a DMG epeen competition,and Doom is prety much the same but with a benny hill theme.Another obvious example is Treasure Hunting,the loot tables on them are so old and outdated you can make more money(or lose less,if you wanna look at it this way) by killing a few trogs 5 minutes than to run a suicidary lvl 6 map (which bard tamers and such solo anyways..) .In theory,the game is very nice,full of things to do,places to explore..in practice...keep dreaming.

**hey but stukov you whine a lot,give us solutions instead!!**

Ok,what about a revamp of loot tables?..Get away with the random generated crap items,and give each monster a chance to drop certain items.They may drop them,or not.But stop the 500 item junk.The biger the montser,the better,obviously.Gold on them has also to be raised,and weight reduced,as the bags of sending are completely useless now and none uses them.I wouldnt say make dragons drop gold checks,as its absolutely absurd in a realistic way,but they are suposed to hoard riches in their lairs no?? I heard they nerfed bags of send because of gold sellers...theres just as many gold sellers now as there were before(and no i dont buy gold,thats why im poor). Thunt also needs working,well,if you ask me, a total remake.Not make them easier or harder,but to make them actually worthwhile to do,enough for a group of friends and/or a guild to add it to their routinary activities,and not a game curiosity from days past,or something a guy really bored does once a milenia just to see flashy lights and dead wyrms.If you want a powergaming game for items ,there are beter games out there IMO,UO is suposedly to outshine all due to variety of things to do,but as I said,thats a just a smoke curtain.Old players are filthy rich,and new players are filthy poor,and in solo minded comunity,theres not much way for interaction.I do think its way to late to add goldsinks and what not,to the point solution is simply give up and add even more gold to the game..

Thoughts / opinions ?

Leetch02ny

Leetch02ny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I just read, and TOTALLY agreed, But then thought... If it cost a couple million for a stupid item... How did BUYER come up with that money... Someone, somewhere farmed it, Making more money drop on creatures would just make the BUYER have more money, thus more in the system...

You seemed to want a market where millions are used like quarters, but at the same time want to make MORE millions flood the system..

How would making a THunt yield more items and better things just doesnt make sense...

Merion

Merion

Infamous King of Typos

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
Don't get me wrong but I think the system is fine! They should add a few more gold sinks that only apply to old and rich players (like 100k recharge fee for weapon engraving tools),but overall it is fine. And please! Do not do away with the random loot. Sure a Greater Dragon should drop better stuff, as should a paragon balron, but the random loot is what makes UO different from other MMORPGs where you know exactly what to kill to get a certain item and in the end everbody runs around with the same equipment. It's bad enough with all the artis.

Farsight

Farsight

Aneirin - UP - VTC

• Members
  • 1,537 posts
The amount of gold for a kill is fine as-is. If they increased it, that would mean more bank runs and less time with the fun stuff. On the other hand, the spawn is so slow in the legacy dungeons (anti-virtue, ice, fire and T2A) that you have time to run to the bank between every kill.

I have a friend who does hunt spawn for gold, focussing on Oni lately, and she makes millions a week just from that. Granted, she plays a lot more than I do, but still... millions from a creature that nobody else farms because it's just not worth it.

What I don't like is the item drops. For each ML monster you kill, you have at least 10 items, and most of which aren't even something you'd give to a brand new player. Granted, the upcoming imbuing skill will make even those useful, but for now many people don't even check the bodies for items. It would be nice if the stronger monsters at least has a chance of holding something on the same level, loot-wise, as a strong box quest.

Treasure maps need a massive loot overhaul, and probably some useful artifacts of their own, only available from the treasure hunts. And it would be more fun if they did the T-map overhaul in a stealth-publish.

Big Willy

Big Willy

Undead Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Completely agree with a TMap overhaul. I mean, it seemed like I would never GM cartography and lockpicking. Now that they are GM'ed, my reward is only 6k, some regs, a few gems and a bunch of useless junk for about 30 minutes worth of work? I could make more money with a 2 day old character killing ogres and ettins...

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Yeah I think treasure hunting needs a serious loot boost. I don't think there is any point to even bothering with it right now, as the reward is so pitiful. Right now you can get more gold/hour just killing stuff as it spawns.

Also, old dungeons. Give us a reason to go in there, other than junk artifiacts :)

Darla

Darla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
Yes, my t-hunter pretty much just opens paragon chests these days. The idea that a treasure chest actually has soemething that would have "treasure" is rather long past.

There is a loot imbalance overall. I always thought that any monster (of fair ability) should be able to drop a worthwhile item. Maybe only a 2% chance, but it does get me to doing something other than champs/Doom. The old dungeons are very empty.

Clex

Corvak

Corvak

Huzzah!!

• Members
  • 3,808 posts
Yeah, I just have lockpicking on a mule for that, heh.

I remember when you could make money as a pure treasure hunter. Get a mage and a couple warriors to come with, because in the economy back then 1/4 of the chest was still worth the time.

Big Willy

Big Willy

Undead Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Now, don't get me wrong, I'll still go out and do the chests (it gives me good reason to pull out my vollems), but I gotta be really bored and be the only one online lol. I really only do the chests in hopes of getting relic fragments, but these days, it seems almost not worth it. And, FYI if you put 2 vollems on a bard, you are looking at 2 ferocious killing machines.

Elaine

Elaine

The Poison Pixie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
I agree, in part. But I'd sort of suggest the opposite, cut loot on the big things.

Maybe change the currency or something to get rid of all those millions. I know it won't happen, but it'd be an idea. UO economy is totally inflated to the point where buying things that cost 500k to 1 million seems completely normal. Yes, everyone is a gold millionaire, of course - errh, wait. What? I know UO has given up much of its claim to being semi-realistic (mixing ninja gargoyles with necromancer elves), even for a fantasy game (perhaps just my opinion), but everyone having millions and millions of gold coins in their bank, or house, just does not make any sense to me whatsoever.

'Course, then again, if you change the currency to something smaller (costing say 10k gold per coin), there will always be someone who farms it just to hoard. And raise prices. And in a few years, we'd have the same problem. But there's no reason to really make farming that easy, is it?

Posted Image

LoL

LoL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Just remember that not EVERYONE has millions already. I left the game for quite a while and came back to find that while i had once been comfortably wealthy, I am now destitute ... 2 million in the bank does not go far.

If you do anything that REQUIRES millions (other than money sinks that are not necessary) then you are effectively reducing the number of returning and new players... as they come in to find that they are poor and have very little chance of catching up. A good example of this is imbuing. I dont know why, but for years I had always collected gems, had hundreds ... enough to get me to 55 imbuing. Dont know about you, but imbuing seems almost necessary to me, since I dont have many artis and need to enhance my loot to be competitive. But, alas, Imbuing is a HUGE money sink (working as intended I imagine) as gems are insanely expensive.

So just keep in mind, that for us to have UO in the future, the devs have to find a way to attract new and returning players to replace the people who "take a break" and never return. If these players don't have the ability to make money or obtain items to be competitive they will move on... and that is bad for everyone.

Darla

Darla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
I remember when they put the minor arties in the legacy dungeons. But, that was when they auto-dropped into the backpack. Seemed a good idea to get people to return to the old placesm, but we still didn't have to search the loot.

I guess the adjustment of loot as a whole would help. Something like a 2% chance for something worthwhile...if searched for in the loot. I notice on group hunts that nobody stops to look at the loot, other than grabbing the gold. Even for the T-chests. The rest is just not worth the time.

I just left a guild because all they wanted to do were champ spawns or the Doom Gauntlet. Nothing else, nada...max loot, max benefit, minimal effort. That really lowers quality of play.

To keep the players that don't buy into the the material things, redo the legacy dungeons with that 2% chance of finding something that is "wow!, I got something special".

It would also be nice if the occassional mega-monster escaped from the city "dungeon". Random things are the spice of life. May be once a day per city.

Don't make it bigger, make it better,
Clex

Malkavian

Malkavian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Don't make it bigger, make it better,
Clex

I agree

Malk

Lord Strahd

Lord Strahd

Grandmaster Templar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
This topic is on the right track.....however its missing a major problem thats has caused most of these other problems.

The economy is shot because the market is flooded with gold. Why is it flooded with gold? Because of the gold farmers farming gold non stop 24 / 7. Using 3rd party program bots and while they sleep they make millions. So then your like how do you stop this?

Well the simple answer is this...you cant stop it because there is no system in the game to stop this. Along time ago when there was PKs all over the place and no where to hide there was no gold farmers because they died just like everyone else, and got looted just like everyone else.

GOld was very hard to come by and it took time and effort to save up because of the before mentioned. PKing at that time was even a way to make money. People cried out for safe zones, so there were safe zones (trammel). And the gold farmer was born.

SO I do agree with the original poster about the loot tables, however without some other more important changes in place, its a moot point.

What I think we need are more places like the Felucca Champ spawns...where only the best loot drops in those places. Where only the best resources can be found and ect ect, and further because the old economy is so far gone, we probly need another form of currancey that only drops there and used to purchase the best things.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pvm, revamp