Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Templates

- - - - - templates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Flingan666

Flingan666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I was just wondering.. how long does it take to "skill" up the template you want to have.. like in WoW 0 - 70/80 it takes several days playtime.. how long does it takes in UO ? :)

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Depends on the template. Some are quite easily worked together, like a warrior can stand to gain Anatomy, Swordsmanship(or whatever their weapon skill), Tactics with a single hit on a monster(and even Lumberjacking if youre using an axe weapon). Gaining Chivalry and/or Bushido as well as Healing, Focus and Parrying is also easily gained in the same hunting trip as you'll be using them along the way. If you really want to powergame it, you can have a multi-GM warrior in a week or so of steady work.

The reverse of this is that you don't have to have a multi-GM warrior to have fun.

Lady Hester Tarian

Lady Hester Tarian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 595 posts
That's the best answer I've heard to this type of question Tancred. It's not how fast you gain skill, it how fun is it to play. You don't need a multi-GM/Legendary to enjoy your time in UO.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tancred RedStar

Tancred RedStar

Balron Snack

• Members
  • 5,379 posts
Ya know, I just got a msg from a friend today trying to get me back into WoW. He told me how the xp gain rate was tweaked, how it's easy to get to level X, etc., but I look back and it was like all there was ever to do was either grind for xp or grind for reputation with a faction for some piece of gear or armor and never any organized community stuff.

Darkstar

Darkstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
What are the skills your working on? You might get some helpful hints to make it easier. :)

Mortae

Mortae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I have been building a few types of different characters and have been surprised at how many things I can do. Provolking alone at 50-75 was once a lot easier to do higher end mobs, but in training it hasn't been that bad alone. There seems to be more "balance" (not the best word to use) between power gaming and active playing and I have found myself sidetracked for hours having fun doing stuff when the goal was prime skill gain. That was not always the case.

WarderDragon

WarderDragon

"I want to do bad things to you."

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
You can have your character developed in anything from a week (there are a number of strategies for powerleveling), to a couple of months (if you just casually enjoy yourself); but as others have mentioned, the act of leveling itself can be fun along the way if you take that time. Its also during that interm, liminal phase between wee novicehood and legendary mastery that you develop a personal feel for your character and his/her skills that you wouldn't get without that experience (in my own opinion, atleast). In fact, I am personally creating a couple of new characters over the next month or two in the traditional fashion just to kind of relearn the game and do something that I haven't done in nearly three years.

I think that Ultima Online has struck that effective balance between the endless grind of most modern MMOs, and something that is too easy to master. Its takes some effort, but there is no mindnumbing month of bug squishing; you can essentially jump into the action and contribute to a hunt or raid within a week of your characters inception, making some serious cash along the way.

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
Particularly with +15 skill jewelry, if you *really* need to power-up to participate with a new group of friends you can get to GM almost overnight in a few key skills. Things like:

Magery
Meditation
Music
Peacemaking
Resist (3 hours to GM in Haven)

These five skills make a good newbie template. With one or two soulstone fragment uses to siphon 50 skill points from new characters (or a few new player quests in Haven), you'd be surprised how quickly you can contribute.

If you're dead set on something using one of the tougher skills (taming, for example) you can pay $30 for an advanced char token.

Heck, with all the +necro items out there dropping drastically in price, you can probably whip up a necromage with very little trouble.

~M

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: templates