Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Ultima Online Was Born

- - - - - born online ultima

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Markus Balthazar

Markus Balthazar

Nerves of steel!!!!

• Members
  • 2,498 posts

And I miss flying carpets from the old Ultimas!

Ahh the flying carpet. I loved the music which would play. Remember the baths on bucaneers den in ultima 7? that was hilarious.
out of all the ultimas, number 7 and serpent isle is my fav

Ultima 8 was quite good as well, but cannot get it to run on my PC anymore :( wish there was a game engine to run it like exult does for ultima 7.
Posted Image

Seamstra

Seamstra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Don't forget the Creatures and Animals of UO either.. Each coming from their own Realms of Mythology.

It has always amazed me how UO was based on Myths and Legends on Real Life. It also amazes me how many people don't realize how much real world history is steeped into UO.

Markus Balthazar

Markus Balthazar

Nerves of steel!!!!

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
There really is an island for example in Scotland called Skara Brae

Skara Brae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Posted Image

Gypsy

Gypsy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Ultima 8 was quite good as well, but cannot get it to run on my PC anymore :( wish there was a game engine to run it like exult does for ultima 7.

Here's one! :)
http://pentagram.sou...e.net/index.php

It works for me. If it doesn't, you can use DosBox:
http://www.dosbox.co...ID=495&letter=U

Comicon

Comicon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
[quote name='Nok']WarderDragon is treasured on Baja... we will not give him up so easily! :bladespin: ;)

Those that believe UO is based strictly on and only about medieval Europe... know very little about the origins of Ultima, Richard Garriot the man himself, or his influences both growing up but also as a developer.

Like many people over the decades... Garriot read authors like Tolkien, CS Lewis, Hemingway, Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury, Issac Asimov and many, many others. RG studied how directors like John Ford, Ridley Scott, Stanley Kubrick, Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and others... would tell a story within a film.

Something all of these people had in common? They all either knew, met, and/or studied the writings of Joseph Campbell. Long story short... Campbell studied, taught, and wrote about mythology. Campbell is to mythology what Carl Sagan is to astronomy.

If you want to tell your own stories, understand those of others, and enjoy them... where are some links:
[quote]

Joseph Campbell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Joseph Campbell Foundation
Lessons from Joseph Campbell
Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth
Book of the Month Club "Hero With a 1000 Faces"
Joseph Campbell with Bill Moyers Power Of Myth - Hero's Adventure [1 of 6]
A Brief Study of the Hero Quest in Modern Stories
The Matrix - Joseph Campbell Monomyth
STAR WARS Music, 3 of 4. Joseph Campbell Monomyth
[/quote]

This is a great starting point for me, on my own ambition to learn more, Thank You so much.

Maybe it's just me, but after watching some of these video's, it's easy to see how some of the ideal's and motivation's could be adapted into onse own real life goal's and dreams.

But i'm beggining to have more appreciation for the Land's and People within the game itself, as well as the draw for Role Playing.

Markus Balthazar

Markus Balthazar

Nerves of steel!!!!

• Members
  • 2,498 posts

Here's one! :)
http://pentagram.sou...e.net/index.php

It works for me. If it doesn't, you can use DosBox:
http://www.dosbox.co...ID=495&letter=U

I will try that. Thanks for the link. I did once install pentagram but for some reason it would not work on my computer :huh I am using Ultima 8 from the ultima collection.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: born, online, ultima