Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Player Music Gears

- - - - - gears music player

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Maeglid

Maeglid

Hiding somewhere on Catskills

• Members
  • 1,012 posts
While I can understand copyright issues, it would still be really cool to allow players to make their own music gears.

You would need Tinkering and Barding skills to make one, and the length of the track would be determined by your skill level in each. That would allow many to be able to make one, rather than being required to GM each skill over a long period of time.

The art is already there. The music system would be a completely new setup though, unless double clicking a 'Blank Music Gear' allowed you to select an MP3 on your computer.

Again, legal problems, I know. Even if they had a music-making system similar to four track MOD files of ages past, rather than linking to an external file, there would still be legal issues if someone copied a songbook.

Still. It would be pretty darn cool to be a 'gear'-star and be able to 'charge' people UO gold for your popular track(s). That would make for an interesting community within UO, wouldn't it?

Also, it would be cool to have a mini-music box, that plays a different 'size' gears. You could use it to carry along and play special music during combat that would provide limited area bonuses (bonusii?). Just enough to be useful (like orange petals, etc.) and of short duration (only on when track is playing). Perhaps a calm song would add a slight 'peace' affect, while a rockin' song might area discord a little. There would need to be a cooling off period for the player, or every use might consume a power crystal (battery). These gears would not be player made. Perhaps an occasional loot item from some creature that has some relation to music. Collect them all to make a full 'mini-music-box' spellbook!

Elaine

Elaine

The Poison Pixie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
Maybe you could put in a sound generating system, allowing you to create a tune with a few, limited sounds - also a nice idea for barding, to be honest, because after 8 years of UO I just can't listen to the barding sound anymore!

Edit: Just saw you mentioned sound generating system. Limit the length, then? Like... only, errh.... 10-15 notes or something? Makes it tedious to actually copy a song.

Posted Image

Silverfoot

Silverfoot

UOForums Central ManagerMith'quessir

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
I actually hink that they'd make great gifts from the devs for different occasions, winter holidays etc. But yeah I'm sure there are all kinds of copyright crayziness involved.
I like your ideqa also!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Send lawyers, guns and money
The crap has hit the fan
!"

Elaine

Elaine

The Poison Pixie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
Had it thought out a while ago. Give bards the opportunity to play different tunes while you're at it - and basically "record" on the player gears.

Posted Image

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
that is a great idea but you hit the nail on the head with the legal issues problem. I would settle for the new music which is included with each new exapnsion be put into music gear form for players to collect.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Elaine

Elaine

The Poison Pixie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
.. and maybe make the instruments able to play different tunes anyway? ^^ Sorry to insist so much on this, but it's the most annoying sound in the game by now. You could restructure them like Dawn's music box, but drop little sheet music things into them to "learn" different tunes. Sort of a mini-music box, but in instrument shape and with only the sound of that instrument.

Posted Image

Muu Bin

Muu Bin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
I would love new music gears.

I also really like the idea of being able to change what song I play when I play my bard instrument. Having one sound per instrument has gotten to the point where I turn the sound off whenever I log in with my bard. The idea of sheet music that Elaine suggested is right on the mark and would provide numerous possibilities for the dev team to, well... develop. How does this sound?

1. Make sheet music drop in a similar fashion to recipe scrolls. No idea on how to implement this (i.e. heartwood quest or rare drop as loot or ???).

2. Bard would eat the scroll and then would have knowledge of that song. There are so many songs in UO that there would be plenty of songs to choose from.

3. The dev team could even implement a change to bards whereby these new songs would be able to provide "spell" type capabilities to bards - nothing like the power of a true spell-caster but some possible added feature to their barding skills. Perhaps extra range to area peace or multiple targets for discordance. There are a number of possibilities.

One thing that wouldn't work is obviously dropping sheet music onto the instrument itself.

What do all you bards out there think?

Robert Falcon

Robert Falcon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
I'm not a bard! But I think its a Grand Idea!!!! Cause If I hear one more bard song, I'm putting an arrow in him!

Reiver

Reiver

Preceptor of Silver Dawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
heh You can put an arrow in him and i will run him through.

sound fair?

Elaine

Elaine

The Poison Pixie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
The recipe things sound interesting. You could maybe use the script of the mining / glass blowing books, enabling each tune from a drop down menu (like mining stone) - or maybe maybe a drop down menu on the instrument, keep the normal double click to play but add a "Change tune" option, which brings up a menu - maybe like a crafting menu? The double clicking could be a "Play last tune". Recipe "sheet music" would work good with a drafting menu type thing.

Maybe you could make certain songs more effective for provocation / peacing / discordance - but let each player discover what is good for what on their own!

Edit: Maybe make the sheet music obtainable by doing bard-related quests for bard characters? Sort of music teachers then, that need some little favor in return for teaching you the music (i.e. giving you the scroll)

Posted Image

Warsong of LS

Warsong of LS

Knowledge is power; Guard it well!

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
i think putting the music on the instruments via a drop down list is really not a good idea since instruments now have uses and break. rather take the sheet music and spread it on monsters as a drop like origami paper from monsters in tokuno and that way a player could buy sell or trade them and when used that character would learn that sheet of music much like receipies for the trade skills.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Muu Bin

Muu Bin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

i think putting the music on the instruments via a drop down list is really not a good idea since instruments now have uses and break. rather take the sheet music and spread it on monsters as a drop like origami paper from monsters in tokuno and that way a player could buy sell or trade them and when used that character would learn that sheet of music much like receipies for the trade skills.

Adding music to the instruments would never work, of course, since they instrument breaks after its uses run out (except the flutes of renewal). I did mention this in my first post but it is a good point to reiterate.

What about a song book? Many of the other classes have blessed books at their disposal (spellcasters, paladins, ninjas, etc...) - why not a bard? Any new songs learned could be dropped onto the books. Anyone interested in the song could play it from the book. Oh the possibilities.

Elaine

Elaine

The Poison Pixie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
Oooh, so you would play songs like a "spell", and use a use off the instrument as a reagent? Maybe you could have set songs for different instruments, that do different things. Make it require, for example,

80 peacemaking
90 barding
to cast... uhhh... "Calming of the seas" or something like that.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gears, music, player