Welcome to Ultima Online Forums
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Welcome to UOForums

If not already a member, take a moment to join our awesome community. It is free to sign up and there are no ads.

When you click on CREATE ACCOUNT, the sign up form will appear at the bottom of the forum.

If you have issues, like not receiving a validation email. Then please contact us by email help@uoforums.com and we will help you get set up.

If you wish to contact us about our site for other reasons, then please contact us by using the contact form in top right corner of the forum

Photo

Show you UO Age.

- - - - - age show uo

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Lord Target

Lord Target

I know I am, and so are you. Now I must throw giant waffles at y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

All the same, I've read/seen stuff saying the original Felucca map was only 1/4th the initially intended size of the game at release but they just ran out of time to get it all done.

:(

So, my question then is, where's the rest of it? =)

If Britannia's not finished, what business do we have poking around in the den of Gargoyles?

Seems kinda silly if you ask me.

Watch, we'll see an expansion:

"Ultima Online: Kingdom Repaired"

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
I Wonder how many people will complain if they did finish.

It was sooooo much better when it was smaller then I didn't have to travel so much!

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

I Wonder how many people will complain if they did finish.

It was sooooo much better when it was smaller then I didn't have to travel so much!

What? Don't we have runes anymore? Sheesh! =)
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Cymbria Devereux

Cymbria Devereux

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Just came back to UO after many years off and found a bunch of them in my bankbox. Do they still work, or just something I should put away for posterity?

You can put them away for posterity.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CescoAiel

CescoAiel

Sir Lir, Ex-UO gamer "Sé do Beatha, mo chara"

• Members
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationNew Britannia

You can put them away for posterity.

Yep... I put a Felucca Moonstone down in my Trammel house to put on display... Shouldn't be able to do that without consequences, eh? =)

They don't do anything anymore... You cannot even throw them at someone! :(
BD Sig New

Bodhbh Dearg - Beginning avatar - Shroud of the Avatar
Sir Lir - Mage-Tamer - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Lugh Allcrafted - Beginning Crafter - United Order of Virtue
Aoife - New-born Necro-Mage - Council Sojourner - Avatars of Virtue
Cú Chulainn- Paladin - Avatars of Virtue

Guum

Guum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
I found my UO public beta test CD the other day while I was cleaning. Does that count for anything? ;)

("Are you with us?!")

Pitr

Pitr

GRI Cadet

• Members
  • 1,662 posts
I still have that... brand new.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ferenhelm

Ferenhelm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
I have a AoS disk but that's as far back as I go.

NANOC_DWxC

NANOC_DWxC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts
Digs in UO chest of saved items..........hmmmm
Oh i still use the map I got when i purchased the game in 1998.
One of the first things I did was translate the UO hyrogliphics to Ingrish.
hehehe
Now it is taped up so it doesnt fall apart at the seams.
The cigarette burn marks the the beer mug stains are the worst tho!

Magister_Returns

Magister_Returns

UOForums Price-checker

• Members
  • 3,255 posts
I just recently threw out the original box. You remember: the box that failed to mention there was a monthly subscription fee? There was almost a class-action lawsuit over that, I believe.

~M

Full Circle

Full Circle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
My first taste of Uo was, getting into the last part of the open beta, phase two I think they called it. I spent most of the time lagging to no end like everybody else as the dev team optimized the net code. I spent most of the phase two beta trying to fight the lag monster walking from town to town getting lost and killed more times than I'd care to count, but I was in my element as I was huge Ultima fan.

I got UO the day of its retail release, and started in Minoc. I spent most of my time there mining. I remember mining for ages just to buy a boat to park on the river near the mine to put all my ore on. Only to discover others could add my ore from the boat to a pile on the ground at their feet. But for a few weeks before that exploit was discovered and widely known, I was running a boat service from the mining area down to the smith shop next to the river. Miners used to drag and drop huge piles of ore to the smith shop to smelt. Using the boat saved a lot of dragging and dropping and they'd tip me some gold.

I also remember being PK'ed then PK'ed some more as you approached a dungeons entrance in my first few months. As my hiding got better it was a case of cat and mouse. Fireball used to be the common weapon of choice for the PK in the first six months of UO. A PK Mage dreadlord running around in plate armour casting Fireball at you.

You were pretty much like a little helpless lamb to PK's that got established quickly and could afford to raise magery. Then the Fireballs turned into Energy bolts!

Not all dungeon trips ended in PK encounters. As my character got better in skills and stats. I went with others into dungeons and cleared the top level and got out to bank my gold.

It wasn't uncommon to go into a dungeon and for it to be empty, as respawn rates for some months in UO's first year of retail took an hour or two to respawn. I remember after a dungeon trip with the guild we'd all stand at the bank sharing the money then item id all the weapons etc we got hoping for that power or vanquishing weapon!

The advanced stages of my character before trammel were spent being in a guild that took part in the red vs blue wars. We'd go search areas where reports of PK's had been. We'd patrol the areas new players used for PK's. It was great fun battling a group of PK's. Sometimes we won sometimes we lost

One early memory that really stands out for me is. I was walking the roads of Britannia when I came upon a bridge with loads of objects and boxes scattered on the ground. As I stopped to examine it all two PK's jumped out from hiding and killed me and robbed me.

Galen

Galen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
About 10 years. The box I bought was The Second Age.

The current account isn't my old one though.

-Galen's player

Acara

Acara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

A PK Mage dreadlord running around in plate armour casting Fireball at you.

Ahh ..the tank mage

One early memory that really stands out for me is. I was walking the roads of Britannia when I came upon a bridge with loads of objects and boxes scattered on the ground. As I stopped to examine it all two PK's jumped out from hiding and killed me and robbed me.

Good 'ol blocking ..... anyone remember when monsters couldn't break through objects in Fel & every Dexer was standing in line in the Despise (???) Lich room/ LL crypt doorway, or in player-made crate bottlenecks, cross healing the chap whose turn it was in the doorway/opening. Guy in the doorway could GM Resist in a couple of days of that & the guys on either side could get healing into the 90's.

Was anyone else here a companion back in the old days? That was really one of the great programs I miss from the old days. Had a lot of fun helping out the new players in the game.... like avoiding GM Tinker trapped boxes left at the Brit bank, etc =)

Full Circle

Full Circle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Ahh ..the tank mage

Good 'ol blocking ..... anyone remember when monsters couldn't break through objects in Fel & every Dexer was standing in line in the Despise (???) Lich room/ LL crypt doorway, or in player-made crate bottlenecks, cross healing the chap whose turn it was in the doorway/opening. Guy in the doorway could GM Resist in a couple of days of that & the guys on either side could get healing into the 90's.

Was anyone else here a companion back in the old days? That was really one of the great programs I miss from the old days. Had a lot of fun helping out the new players in the game.... like avoiding GM Tinker trapped boxes left at the Brit bank, etc =)

Talking of tinker traps, that reminded me of one more foolish thing I got myself into. I was walking from Minoc moongate when another player approached me, he asked if I could open a box as he couldn't open it for some reason. Like a silly idiot I said sure and proceeded to blow my head off to the sound of their laughter. I felt like such a fool, but dusted myself off and pretended it never happened.

I remember those crates setup in the lich room. :) It was fun until the dev team put a stop to it. I used to use the crates to trap monsters in my house for deco. Some players trapped a spell casting monster in their house to work magic resist. They could gate them in from a dungeon. That's one thing that was done to use miners in Minoc. PK's would gate monsters to inside the mine to send us all running.

facattac

facattac

Lil' Scamp

• Members
  • 1,206 posts
I remember in FEL when I ventured there were either naked people around carrying a spear or some kind of mace for the paralyze or concussion blows that were automatic based on skill combinations. Many reds were naked mages.

You'd loiter because none of the reds wanted to go into stat loss & played it safe waiting for one individual to attack them. A gray healer might help out or a thief would try to steal. Then along came AOS & none of the stat loss was relevant any more. Insurance disabled stealing of most goods.

If you had money ingame, you took risks after AOS because you had insurance to keep your valuables with you after death. If you didn't have that much valuables, you just stayed in safe areas... well, maybe you'd go into a dungeon. What stunk about AOS is that wearing the same old plain iron armor didn't work any more. You suddenly had to adapt to wearing as close to a full 70 suit as you could get for every monster encounter. Earth eles suddenly seemed a threat to a suddenly nerfed warrior.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Memnock

Memnock

Charter Britannian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

What was it like when you first started to play UO.

I'm a pre-alpha, beta (closed and both phases of public), and Charter Edition player. I still have my Charter Edition CD with the original box and everything that came with it on my games shelf. Every once in a while I'll install the Charter Edition on my storage partition just so I can hear the original Stones (none of that Ascension music we've got now) and see the opening chest and the old school login again.

It's hard to believe just how many changes this world has seen in all that time. It's mostly the little things that we take for granted now that are the most interesting, yet important. For instance, when the game was first released, there were no bank boxes. You could only bank gold. Another example; during the first phase of the public beta, there was no secure trade window. If you wanted to give or sell something to someone, you had to drop it on the ground and have them pick it up. Or even farther back, in the pre-alpha, progression was a combination level/skill system similar to Ultima VII with experience and everything.

Or how about the moongates destination being based on the phases of the Sosarian moon? Look up moongates on uo.stratics.com, the old article is still up there. Due to issues with reagent vendors, there was a shortage of reagents during the beta, which led to a shortage of mages in general. That meant little recalling and no player moongates. This caused a boost in the market for scribed scrolls and boats, since sailing was in many cases much more preferable (and fun) than bouncing through the moongate system over and over until you finally got where you were going. Pirate ships were common at this point and sailing the seas, while dangerous, was a hell of a fun time.

Scribes outside the mage tower in Brit, smiths doing repairs at the west britain blacksmith, vendors of various types at the outdoor market in Trinsic, ships sailing the seas for travel, for fun, or for profit, rather than for skill gain, more active player towns, a dangerous wilderness, bone helmets and bright colored robes meaning you were about to be ganked, PKs that roleplayed, Fluffy the PK Chicken, Imanewbie Does Britannia, Bonedewd and Platedood, The Galads and Looters Lair, Paxlair and Oasiss Tavern, Elawyn of Yew and the Carebears, Crossroads of Britannia forum and PKs at the Britain Crossroads. So many memories in and out of game, all orbiting around this world that we love so much, it hurts my brain to think of them all. And it makes me sad that I didn't appreciate it all more as it was happening... that I didn't take the time to document more of it.

...whoa whoa, I'll stop the nostalgia train right there before it plunges right off the edge of I Remember When ravine and falls to the bottom of Damn Kids, Get Off My Lawn canyon.

Here's to UO!

*Ni!*
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Belanos

Belanos

I don't know any better =(

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

during the first phase of the public beta, there was no secure trade window. If you wanted to give or sell something to someone, you had to drop it on the ground and have them pick it up.
*Ni!*

the secure window is a hell of a lot newer than beta or alpha. I started in '98 and I remember dropping stuff on the ground for trades for my first few years
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

... it's pronounced 'fel-ookah', not 'fel-oosha' ...

Memnock

Memnock

Charter Britannian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'll have to disagree, there. There were problems with secure trade, yes... but it has existed since release. Here's a quote from the first patch notes after release in September of 97:

Miscellaneous:

• The weight problem with depositing large amounts of gold and then getting stuck will be fixed.
  • Shops paying extremely high prices for items if you had a lot of them to sell is fixed.
  • Orcs (regular ones, not orc captains) will loot corpses of creatures they kill or see killed. This is behavior that we will eventually make more widespread.
  • The frequency of guards in the woods should be drastically reduced. Guards at road guardposts will stay by their guardposts.
  • The secure trading window will only function at short ranges.
  • We have added support for Soundblaster AWE sound fonts. These are located on your CD.

That was posted 9/29/97 on the patch notes section of the UO website.

***Edit***

You could be remembering some of the exclusions that were present in the secure trading system around the time you started playing (roughly Dec of 98 I believe?). Because of certain exploits and scams related to the secure trade function (mostly having to do with multi-stage trades and overloading someone's backpack with 'true black' colored bags filled with absurdly heavy items) the trade window was changed in certain ways to avoid these tactics. The side effects of these changes was that large amounts of gold could not be put in the trade window because of weight limits and huge stacks of resources couldn't be put into trade for the same reasons. You would have had to revert to the drop and pick up method of trading for those items and certain other special items (illegal and otherwise) that couldn't be put in the trade window for one reason or another. At least until the Bank Check and Commodity Deed were added to the game in March of 2000 and October of 2001 respectively.

***Edit***
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

covert

covert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Firewalling through houses. Meteorswarming my neighbor through my small plaster wall and into his tower. Oh yes; I remember it well. I was young but I vividly remember a good deal (watched my father play and eventually had my own account in which he made for me).

Watching that chest open and having the giant button to click for logging in. Heh heh. I remember the elf vs. elf Trinsic Christmas event. The old Trinsic invasion.

"This Britannia is but one of many in the multiverse that is...Ultima Online!"*queue epic music*

Oh..and the Death Jesters. Hiding in a corner just waiting for you and your friend to pass by. Halberd and flamestrike death descends upon you.

Acara

Acara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
...and CrazyJoe was my idol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: age, show, uo